Out of sight, out of mind?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of sight, out of mind?

Question Out of sight, out of mind?

Is out of sight really out of mind? I keep reading people post how unsafe it is to carry a 1911 in condition 1(round in the chamber,hammer back,thumb safety on.) Yet those same people think nothing of it when they carry their DA only handguns the same way.

It leads me to believe that "Out of sight,really is out of mind!"

Would it make these people feel safer if the 1911 had it's hammer inside the frame like on their DA firearms?

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Is out of sight really out of mind? I keep reading people post how unsafe it is to carry a 1911 in condition 1(round in the chamber,hammer back,thumb safety on.) Yet those same people think nothing of it when they carry their DA only handguns the same way.

Would it make these people feel safer if the 1911 had it's hammer inside the frame like on their DA firearms?
    OH so true!

It would for me, but not for the reason you're thinking. I know it's not supposed to happen, but if the hammer goes forward and it goes bang and shoots my foot then I've been injured, I'll survive. My reason is my young son is at the age where he wants to get his fingers in everything. One of the last things I'd want happening when his fingers are exploring is for any of them to be between the hammer and the frame IF the hammer fell forward. We can all agree that is, in theory, impossible without outside help but I've heard my son scream in pain and I don't want it to be because of this scenario, so I switched to carrying an XDM instead of a 1911. At the end of the day they both go bang and both will make a hole in whatever you point them at. I'm not worried by carrying a gun ready to go bang, I'm just trying to avoid one particular accident until my son is old enough to know not to touch.

5. good question

I decided to register with this sight after reading your thread. The fact is a 1911, when clambered and on safe, is extremely safe. This is because of the way the safety mechanism works. People have dropped it on the highway from a motorcycle, while in condition 1 on safe, and the gun still did not discharge the chambered round. After a lot of research I believe its safer to carry a 1911 in condition 1 than any internal strike style pistol.
    I carry a 1911 when clothing permits. Always with one in the pipe on safe. I also have a son, so when its not on my body I clear it and just leave a full mag in it and put it on the fridge. If your child is big enough to charge it, there ready to be taught proper weapon safety.

He isn't big enough yet, he's 16 months old. I just don't want his tiny fingers getting in the gap between hammer and frame. It's a decision I made in order to keep the peace at home, my wife was worried about it and told me I should put the 1911 away until he's old enough to understand, and 'why can't you carry one of those guns without the hammer'. Dunno about you but that sounded like permission to buy so I did.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post

The 1911 design was meant to be carried "Cocked and Locked". Not only does the safety have to be off but the grip safety has to be depressed. If no one has tried to "re-work" the innards of the weapon it should be perfectly safe. I have carried a 1911 for years and never had a ND. I have never had my safety magically go off safe as some say it can. After 20+ years of cocked and locked carry if it was going to happen I think it would have by now.
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    The 1911 design was meant to be carried "Cocked and Locked". Not only does the safety have to be off but the grip safety has to be depressed. If no one has tried to "re-work" the innards of the weapon it should be perfectly safe. I have carried a 1911 for years and never had a ND. I have never had my safety magically go off safe as some say it can. After 20+ years of cocked and locked carry if it was going to happen I think it would have by now.
    Right On! That's kinda what I was getting at with this thread. Being new to 1911's(Stop me if I'm wrong) on top of the thumb safety and grip safety there is also a firing pin block is there not?

I don't understand why people say carrying the 1911 "Cocked and Locked" is unsafe just because it has a external hammer. When they carry the vary same way with their DA only firearms, only they never see the hammer held back because it's an internal hammer.

My 1911 stays in its house until it is time to use it. Out of sight, out of mind??? Not really because hubby and I know where it is. Even 127.5 lb doggie knows where it is and his nose is suppose to stay out of it. Kids don't know because they don't live with us anymore.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud
    I agree, not arguing with any of that. I switched because, for me, it was easier to accept being given permission to go out and buy a new gun than to argue with my wife. I was about to try the futile exercise of trying to argue my position on the premise of attempting to educate her when my internal voice screamed at me 'STFU, she's actually telling you to buy another one, just accept she's right'

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    My 1911 stays in its house until it is time to use it. Out of sight, out of mind??? Not really because hubby and I know where it is. Even 127.5 lb doggie knows where it is and his nose is suppose to stay out of it. Kids don't know because they don't live with us anymore.
    What I mean by "Out of sight,Out of mind" is the hammer on the 1911. Not the firearm it's self.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast