New Member + question

Thread: New Member + question

1. New Member + question

Greetings,
    I'm Aryn, and though Im a NY resident now, I spend a lot of time working in Nevada. Im a geologist working in Nye County between Tonopah and Ely. My question is this, I normally have a rifle with me in the field, but because it's heavy, I'm considering switching to a handgun (my work involves a lot of hiking in remote areas). There have been some 'incidents' where I work in the desert; recently with another female (I'm a female BTW) being shot in the leg by an unknown assailant, and a couple of run ins with wildlife (Mountain Lions, snakes, coyotes etc...). From what I can tell about the carry laws online a NY, UT, and/or FL permit will not allow me to carry a concealed weapon in NV. I don't really plan to carry the gun on my person except when I'm working out in the desert, mostly BLM land. But I just want to make sure I'm on the up and up when I'm driving. It seems to me, that I might not need a permit at all if I'm not planning to conceal carry into any urban areas, is that right? Thank you very much for any and all advice.
    Cheers,
    Aryn

In general, most states don't require you to have a permit while "in the field." You just can't carry concealed. But I'm not an expert. If I were faced with the situation you describe, I'd get a .20 gauge youth shotgun. It's light weight and you can choose from a LOT of different loads. .00 Buck/Slugs for critters and people and lighter loads for snakes and the such.

Then if you'd like a pistol for "back up" then you just need to find any caliber you are comfortable with.

Good Luck and welcome.

You could probably get definitive answers if you post your question in the Nevada section of this site.