Ok, Odd Question, Need some answers. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ok, Odd Question, Need some answers.

For him to say that it was OK for the "friend" to do this almost makes me think that the "friend" was actually HIM. And he was fishing for a reaction. And trying to decide weather it was possible to get away with!

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Way to go, guys. I think you scared him off.
    Before I go any further let me say that this post is a depature from my normal humor and is intended to be taken strictly at face value

You won't understand this if you didn't serve LG but most of the respondants to this post take this matter very seriously.
    We did our time all of it sometimes under far mor adverse conditions than the OP's friend. For him to quit because "he isnt feeling it" is like pissing on the graves of all of our commrades who didn't quit even though it cost them everything.

His actions dihonor them, my Amy and me. this isn't something that I will forgive lightly
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Before I go any further let me say that this post is a depature from my normal humor and is intended to be taken strictly at face value

You won't understand this if you didn't serve LG but most of the respondants to this post take this matter very seriously.
    We did our time all of it sometimes under far mor adverse conditions than the OP's friend. For him to quit because "he isnt feeling it" is like pissing on the graves of all of our commrades who didn't quit even though it cost them everything.

His actions dihonor them, my Amy and me. this isn't something that I will forgive lightly
    I totally respect that, but he was talking about his friend, not himself, and he got ripped the proverbial new one. At least, I *think* he was talking about himself. And, yeah, I suppose defending his friend's actions on this forum was probably not well-thought-out. But I gotta feel a little badly for him. He had NO idea what he was stepping into!

5. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    He had NO idea what he was stepping into!
    That is exactly the main point of this thread. He should have known. Both he and his freind claimed the title of "soldier". To those who have served in uniform that term carries with it a profound meaning. For him to treat this so cavalierly shows that neither he nor his freind undersood.

To those of us who served the idea that TWO people would display the exact same lack of understanding smacks of rationalization. The OP reminded me of the many conversations I have had with patients that begin "So Doc, I got this friend...(insert embarrasing medical problem) what should I tell them?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mustang View Post
    That is exactly the main point of this thread. He should have known. Both he and his freind claimed the title of "soldier". To those who have served in uniform that term carries with it a profound meaning. For him to treat this so cavalierly shows that neither he nor his freind undersood.

To those of us who served the idea that TWO people would display the exact same lack of understanding smacks of rationalization. The OP reminded me of the many conversations I have had with patients that begin "So Doc, I got this friend...(insert embarrasing medical problem) what should I tell them?
    Seriously? You think he was pulling the "My friend has this rash..." bit? Well, I guess I feel a little less sorry for him then. I mean, you guys are right. There is a reason I never joined. Well, two: problems with authority and a deep fear of commitment. I knew at some point I would change my mind.

But you guys also can't tell me there weren't times, espcially if you saw combat, when you didn't seriously consider getting the hell out.

Then again, thinking about it and doing it are two different things. So I guess I just rationalized my way right through this one :)

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    But you guys also can't tell me there weren't times, espcially if you saw combat, when you didn't seriously consider getting the hell out.

There's a big difference between "Getting the Hell out" ( as in finishing your time honorably and not reenlisting) and just leaving in the middle of your term because you're "not feeling it"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Ok, Im not going to defend my friend on this, but it was a good question I had to ask. I wasnt sure if people who just quit going to drill COULD renew CPLs or anything of the sort. Ive talked to him quite a bit, and his family for that matter, Id hate to see him just stop going, hes a good dude, trains hard, and I never knew there was an issue bouncing around in that head of his until he said something to me, I know hes been depressed, as many Soldiers have been when we were told of our Possible deployment. All weve gotten was a "Notification of Sourcing" meaning were pulled into a slot that has a HIGH chance of Deploying.
    However, like Ive told him, millions of people have thought of doing the same thing, but most of us never do it. Ive served for well over 3 years, dont plan on making a career of it, but still, something to put on a resume, and say "yeah, Ive done this or that"
    I sometimes think of just not showing up, honestly, who hasnt thought of it? But seeing the look in his eye and hearing it in his voice, kinda made me feel for him. I told him to just drive on like anyone else would, and all I got from him was "I dont know, Maybe" Either way, hell have to deal with what ever choice he makes. Hopefully for him at most, it will be a General Discharge, Under Honorable circumstances. Warrants are no longer issued, as overcrowding in jails and prisons are at a record high, but either way, he wont get a good job with the Federal Government at minimum.
    Thanks for the replies though
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Warrants are no longer issued, as overcrowding in jails and prisons are at a record high,
    The Guard maybe different but on the active side you don't just get discharged. I have heard of it happening, that someone goes AWOL and his unit kicks him out without bringing him (or her) back, but thatís VERY rare. If you go back to my original post, I have worked with the squad on Fort Campbell whoís only job was to go pickup AWOL soldiers that have been arrested. That was just over a year ago that I worked with them. So I donít think itís changed sense then.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    we were told of our Possible deployment.
    I can't comment on this without writing a book, so I'm just going to wait and let everyone else say what I'm thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Fisck View Post
    I can't comment on this without writing a book, so I'm just going to wait and let everyone else say what I'm thinking
    Changes it to desertion in the face of the enemy. The friend is a coward he signed up knowing he was very likely to go to war, he is w/out excuse

A lot of good advice here. Tell your friend to MAN UP and complete his contract or spend the rest of his life wishing that he had.
    Bill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast