Firearms training for beginners - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firearms training for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Thanks, but this is not what I was looking for. This is more of an insult to my intelligence.
    Doc Mustang has it right. This is exactly what they need. Not someone teaching what he "thinks" is proper firearm safety, handling and fundamentals. The basic fundamentals either make or break a new person's embracing of firearms. A first shooting experience can be a lot for a convert to swallow.

The NRA created the "First Steps Pistol Orientation" class specifically to cover these issues properly. One must also consider that they may hold civil or criminal liability for negligence for accidents that arise during training and use. Most professional instructors are insured for professional liability for this very reason.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Firearms Training for beginners.

Having read through this discussion I am a little confused, Let me start by saying that my Wife and I are Certified NRA instructors in Rifle,Pistol,Shotgun and Personal Protection we are also certified State CCDW instructors from the State of Kentucky.
    We run a shooting school here in Kentucky and in addition to the NRA courses we run other courses ranging from Night courses to personal one to one as well as being certified Hunter Education Instructors ,which is a voluntary position.

So we see a wide variety of students here,from those who want a Concealed carry permit and those beginners who feel they want to learn how to safely handle a gun. To teaching 10-14 year olds the basics of gun safety.

The initial question was regarding training for beginners and that depends on your budget and your location. Most instructors are unwilling to travel long distances to teach one to one instruction. They also have certain overheads such as Classroom hire and Range Hire. We are lucky in that we do not, so we can lower our prices proportionally .
    The Cost of training is therefore a matter of shopping around. The NRA do not set a scale or suggest prices for training.
    The Kentucky Dept of Justice do for Concealed Carry imposing an upper limit of $75.00 per student for an 8 hour course of which they claim $25.00. Therefore when we teach a CCDW class with 2 or 3 students we are barely covering the cost of electricity and refreshments.

However most NRA instructors are not Instructors to become rich. Most have a genuine desire to ensure safe instruction is passed on to as many students as possible. I do personally believe that it is not a good idea to teach your wife or husband to shoot,even if you are a certified instructor. Anyone who ever tried to teach his wife or child to drive will understand what i mean.

The NRA website lists instructors and courses nationwide by State, just type in you Zip code to find the nearest to you. Again Prices vary wildly for the reasons aforementioned .

Steve Challis

4. Are you serious? Either refer them to a class or grab a couple of firearms of your own, get some ammo/targets, and take them to a range. A "certified instructor" isn't necessary to teach firearm safety or how to shoot one. Learning these things are like learning to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, you can read and be told how to do it till your head hurts, but the only way to learn is to just do it. Also by the way if you even needed to waste a post on this as well as "have your intelligence insulted" then you obviously don't have very much intelligence to insult. Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    Are you serious? Either refer them to a class or grab a couple of firearms of your own, get some ammo/targets, and take them to a range. A "certified instructor" isn't necessary to teach firearm safety or how to shoot one. Learning these things are like learning to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, you can read and be told how to do it till your head hurts, but the only way to learn is to just do it. Also by the way if you even needed to waste a post on this as well as "have your intelligence insulted" then you obviously don't have very much intelligence to insult. Good day.
    (Opens Envelope)

And the award for being even less civil than kelcarry goes to Terminal Lance. Please come up on stage and give a brief acceptance speach and pick up your CCW Badge on the table next to the podium.

To actually reply to your question as opposed to giving gratuitous advice, there are a few websirtes I would recommend.

The first (and, IMO best) is actually aimed primarily at women, but I have used it before for people who had little or no experience and want to start with the basics...Cornered Cat. Kathy also has a book on self defense that is excellent called "Lessons From an Armed America"...

Actually, as I look through my reference material for the "very much beginner", I find that pretty much all of it is written with a basic aim at women....another good one is Firearms/Pistols For Life Series - Gun Training - Women's First Handgun Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    Are you serious? Either refer them to a class or grab a couple of firearms of your own, get some ammo/targets, and take them to a range. A "certified instructor" isn't necessary to teach firearm safety or how to shoot one. Learning these things are like learning to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, you can read and be told how to do it till your head hurts, but the only way to learn is to just do it. Also by the way if you even needed to waste a post on this as well as "have your intelligence insulted" then you obviously don't have very much intelligence to insult. Good day.
    You, sir, are an arrogant idiot...

Not to mention very wrong...

There are no books or videos that will take the place of a good instructor. If you give them advice and they get injured, remember they can sue your "butt" . If you and your friends are ok with that and you feel qualified , then go for it, but I would advise them that a professional instructor may teach in a different manner, allowing for age , experince etc.....

What I am going to do is the same thing that happens when a dad takes his son out shooting for the first time. Im not going to teach them personal defense techniques or some fancy stuff. Thats over my head and thats not really what they are after right now.

It will be more like this:

Here is a rifle. This is how it works. What ever this end is pointed at will destroyed. You insert the cartridges here on this type of rifle. blah blah blah.

Well not exactly....

What I was looking for was something that showed the different types of actions on rifles and pistols and how they all worked. Then something that showed how bullets move from the brass to the paper. Then all of the safety aspects of handling firearms. Its not rocket science guys. You all are making it like Im training them for life or death situations. They just want to shoot a damn gun. They dont need a certified instructor to do that.

Oh and another thing. I dont know a single person among our hunt club that took a class by a certified teacher before they picked up a gun. They were taught by their parents and grand parents. Not a "certified" person trying to make a buck.

Yes some did take classes on more advanced material but that was after the fact when they started shooting for sport and defense.

Although terminal lance seems to be an idiot I am going to get some ammo and take my guns to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    You, sir, are an arrogant idiot...

Not to mention very wrong...
    Please refer to my previous post. And I second your recomendation on the Cornered Cat website.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast