Firearms training for beginners - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firearms training for beginners

1. I am new here. I have had my Taurus revolver for 5 years. My DH is a disabled vet from the Marine corps (shattered his ankle). He takes gun safety and education seriously. However he sent me to a NRA instructor for a beginners class and will do the same for our 7 children when they are ready. I was very familiar with my firearm. I am glad my DH did that, I learned so much more from the instructor than my DH, why I do not know. The instructor told me that he does the same thing for his wife (sends her to another instructor). The best thing I learned was proper form which helps me with the recoil and improved my aim at least 75%! I will be going back for some more classes, :)

The OP starts "A lady from my office and her family want to learn to shoot guns. Her husband has been a anti for years and is finally coming around that they are the devil and actually wants to own one for personal protection"

Training a family member is totally different then someone outside of your family. Although dynamics and safety are the same, your instruction to someone else could open you up to all kinds of liability issues. I stand by original post "use a certified Instructor" for education, handling and safety, range time as well. Put the burden on the instructor.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Pal, you are going to find some very opinionated people at this site, me included, so if sound advice insults your intelligence ... then don't ask for it.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Having done training on computers and other subjects, (the device may be different but the process is the same) for over 30 years I have learned a few things about who and how people need to be trained. First is the hardest people to train by far are your family and friends. Second is an informal training session does little actual good. What happens in both situations is you have no guidelines to what training you NEED to provided and if you do you seldom follow it. It is fine that you take someone our on the range to become familial with a gun if they have never used one. They need to follow up immediately with a formal class so that all the points that you missed can be covered. Otherwise you could wind up with someone who can hit the inner ring at 20 yards but no real idea of safety or the laws, worse yet a misunderstanding of them.

To provide proper training on anything requires not only a knowledge of what you are trying to get across but also what and how to train. Otherwise you wind up just covering what pops into your mind and answering questions from the student thus leaving out the majority of important things. They also wind up with a bunch of steps to follow with no understanding of why those steps are important or how to apply them in a different situation.

6. well I don't know, I learned safety and marksmanship from my dad growing up and then again in the USMC. NONE of which were "NRA certified Instructors" so i guess by your logic i should just put my guns in a safe and never touch them again until I go to one of the only surefire way of being safe and proficient firearm courses held by the NRA.. Please. I may be arrogant, comes with the territory of being right, but i surely am not wrong.
    Semper Fi

"A lady from my office and her family want to learn to shoot guns. Her husband has been a anti for years and is finally coming around that they are the devil and actually wants to own one for personal protection"

What I want to know is how did the devil get involved with this situation?
    National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooting Society

8. Ive been trained by my dad as well as The USMC school of infantry and two tours in iraq. I am anything but an idiot when it comes to this matter.

9. Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Oh and another thing. I dont know a single person among our hunt club that took a class by a certified teacher before they picked up a gun. They were taught by their parents and grand parents. Not a "certified" person trying to make a buck.

Yes some did take classes on more advanced material but that was after the fact when they started shooting for sport and defense.

Although terminal lance seems to be an idiot I am going to get some ammo and take my guns to the range.
    Ive been trained by my dad as well as The USMC school of infantry and two tours in iraq. I am anything but an idiot when it comes to this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Thanks, but this is not what I was looking for. This is more of an insult to my intelligence.

How so? You asked a very basic question and got the correct answer. You not going to find much online because if schools or instructors put that stuff up for free they'd be unemployed. You can get plenty of free yet terrible training on Youtube

Terminal (prophetic?) Lance: You sound very much like an adherent of the "SHEEEEEEET! Let's just grab some guns and ammo, go out on the back fourty and I'll learn ya everything you needs to shoot a gun!" school of marksmanship and gun safety.

In the same vein as one who would utter; "Everything Ah learnt, Ah learnt from myself!" (Simple case of zero multiplied by zero if you think about it.)

If there are more of you out there with the same frame of mind..... I can readily understand the source of most "accidental discharges/woundings/killings". .... and the old observation goes; "Any damn fool can pull a trigger!" You, sir, are apparent proof of the hypothesis.

Just sayin'.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast