Firearms training for beginners - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Firearms training for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    Ive been trained by my dad as well as The USMC school of infantry and two tours in iraq. I am anything but an idiot when it comes to this matter.
    I also am USMC "expert" qualified (repeatedly), range safety officer, in my time, .45 cal instructor, combat vet, too. Still, I would no more try to teach civilians shooting skills than the man in the moon. (I'm also a qualified 81mm gunner and a .50 cal gunner, of dubious use for concealed carry and self defence encounters. Thus moot.)

Be advised, young trooper, that rules of enguagement for troops and civvies are 180 out of sync. Best let those qualified in civvie shooting and tactics do the job here.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    (Opens Envelope)

And the award for being even less civil than kelcarry goes to Terminal Lance. Please come up on stage and give a brief acceptance speach and pick up your CCW Badge on the table next to the podium.
    LOL! "First I would like to thank all the little people who have made this possible! ............"

Ah Ha! That's right! We BAD!

GG

4. Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Terminal (prophetic?) Lance: You sound very much like an adherent of the "SHEEEEEEET! Let's just grab some guns and ammo, go out on the back fourty and I'll learn ya everything you needs to shoot a gun!" school of marksmanship and gun safety.

In the same vein as one who would utter; "Everything Ah learnt, Ah learnt from myself!" (Simple case of zero multiplied by zero if you think about it.)

If there are more of you out there with the same frame of mind..... I can readily understand the source of most "accidental discharges/woundings/killings". .... and the old observation goes; "Any damn fool can pull a trigger!" You, sir, are apparent proof of the hypothesis.

Just sayin'.

GG
    As disappointing as this may be to you, I am not one of those types. I was trained well by the United States Marine Corps about weapons safety and marksmanship. Also put them to use during countless training ops, as well as two combat tours to Iraq. So unfortunately I am not one of your "Back fourty" shooters. All I was suggesting way back when this post started was that a "NRA certified instructor" is not necessary for someone to lean these things. Sure I could have been more tactful in the way I expressed said reality, I surely didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

5. didn't see that post right above my new one before i wrote my reply. However as stated, I was just arguing that a NRA certified instructor is not necessary. Also if you or I were to train someone Safety or how to shoot, doesn't mean that I would be preparing them for a trip to Afghanistan. I am not a licensed driving instructor but I can still teach my wife how to drive a stick shift because :GASP: I was taught how and can pass on that knowledge. I mean you were trained well especially if you were an RSO at some point. If you have kids are you going to teach them weapons safety and how to shoot, or are you going to send them to an NRA certified instructor..all im saying

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    I also am USMC "expert" qualified (repeatedly), range safety officer, in my time, .45 cal instructor, combat vet, too. Still, I would no more try to teach civilians shooting skills than the man in the moon. (I'm also a qualified 81mm gunner and a .50 cal gunner, of dubious use for concealed carry and self defence encounters. Thus moot.)

Be advised, young trooper, that rules of enguagement for troops and civvies are 180 out of sync. Best let those qualified in civvie shooting and tactics do the job here.

GG
    IDK I always thought my expert Field Artillery ant ladder was very usefull in the civilian world
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

TL: I would send them to a certified instructor. Preferably a "hard and surly one". Good ol' Dad might not have the level of AWE necessary to instill the proper level of "responsibility" associated with firearm use, safety and discretion.

Aside from that, the military is "taught" weapons use in rather a "Kill 'em all and let Allah sort them out!" fashion. Civilian weapons use is a bit different. ROE of an entirely different level.

At least that is my semi-pro opinion of the matter.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    IDK I always thought my expert Field Artillery ant ladder was very usefull in the civilian world
    But first we would have to "capture" the "piece" and some ammo to make use of it. (Unless you happen to have one sandbagged in your secret armory, waiting for the revolution. LOL!) (If so, I want to be in your militia! LOL!)

GG

Bye the way, Lance, your analogy of "teaching someone to drive" doesn't hold much creditability considering the proliferation of non well trained drivers one tries to avoid being killed by on the roads these days. LOL!

For another "reason" why I don't teach things any longer, even if I feel qualified to do so...... I have very little patience with "slow learners". I stopped teaching at our local Comm College for just that reason. I didn't really need the money and my frustration at trying to beat some "learnin'" into some of those "ticket punchers" got to be a little more than I was willing to put up with.

A personal character fault I try to keep under control. I find, as I get older, my patience level lowers as I go along. Maybe it's because I see others trying to make some of the same mistakes I have made along the way. (Maybe that's why oldsters are always trying to give advice, to keep the youngsters from making the same, costly errors. Not that they listen at all! LOL!)

GG

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234