Flying the Flag Upside Down? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Flying the Flag Upside Down?

Here's what resonated with me:

"If you want to get an appreciation for our flag, try trudging around in a combat zone wearing 100 lbs + of gear and people shooting at you. When you finally get to stand down for some rest, nothing is more inspiring than to be near a fire base and see our flag flying. That symbol instantly rejuvenates your tired body and makes you proud to be an American."

I grew up in the '80s and '90s. There wasn't a lot to be patriotic about. The rich were getting richer, the poor were getting poorer, and I was not impressed with anything my country had to offer. They were sending my friends to the Gulf for God-knows-what. AIDS was rampant, homelessness was epidemic, we were fighting wars everywhere. They didn't bother to teach us to duck and cover in school, because we all knew there would be no surviving a nuke.

Maybe things are better now, or maybe I just see them differently. Whatever the case, I feel like the flag might offer some comfort, some sense of hope and home.

It's just a symbol, and it doesn't matter to me what you do with it. But that quote, and the research I did for my Flag Day article, nudged something inside me. A flag, whether flown in pride or protest, burned in anger or gratitude, now brings a tear to my eye.

I am no patriot. I have always been an instigator and a rebel. I stopped saying the Pledge of Allegiance once it was no longer forced upon me at school, because I actually took a minute to think about what the words were saying. I'm not particularly fond of the National Anthem, either.

But there's still something there that resonates. There is a truth beyond the trappings. There is something in the hearts of the men like my grandfather, trudging through the mud of Korea for God-knows-why, that believes in something larger than themselves.

I am no patriot, but I will be purchasing and flying my first American flag today. I am no patriot, but I will take a minute today to show my gratitude and respect for the patriots who made sure I could be a rebel, and that I had the freedom to scoff it, flip it, burn it, or fly it high and proud.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Ah, I see. I need to stop speaking in the third person "you" around here! I was speaking generally, not about you specifically. I should have said that flying the flag upside down is a well-known national code for distress, etc. However, like I said, in this day and age, I don't think a person will wake up to find an extraction team on their front lawn. At least I don't *think* so. :/
    Localgirl, "you" is second person, not third person. "He, she, or they would be third person.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Localgirl, "you" is second person, not third person. "He, she, or they would be third person.
    Sorry. Second person plural. I really did teach English once. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Sorry. Second person plural. I really did teach English once. Honest.
    Well, I'm an engineer, but I know something about grammar. I went to school back when grammar was taught in the schools. Sorry that it's not taught any more.
    Charlie

Since I have only actually stuck up/defended how others decide to display their flag, and have not actually said what I actually do... Here is what I do myself.... Before Odummy got elected, I flew my flag proudly from my front porch, and did my best to remember to take it in at night because I did not have it illuminated (it should be illuminated if left flying at night, see? I know of traditions/etiquette too).

Since the election, I have not flown the flag even once, because to me, the country it once stood for is dead....... replaced by something very different than originally intended by our founders....... Myself, I can no longer fly that flag, because to me it no longer represents where I live. Truthfully, I did toss around flying the flag upside down, but never did. I still have the utmost respect for the US flag, but no respect at all for the government that has taken over the country it once stood for.

That said, I have NO PROBLEM with others who want to fly the flag IN ANY WAY THEY WISH.... Because that is their right, and I have no right to say their way is the right or wrong way... It is the same thing with all of our rights....... Those that served (and those who died especially) defended their right to do so. As the popular saying states:" I may not approve of what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your RIGHT TO SAY IT"

Some of those on this thread look to be one right only advocates (2nd) and to hell with the rest, my way or the highway on those other rights.....

Cool

Hey Axe: Seems like we all have opinions and I respect yours and I hope you respect mine. After all, we don't want to make enemies on here. Lot of good people and VERY opinionated. With that said, let me give you something else to ponder. Our Illustrious Leader said when he first came into office that he didn't like our National Anthem. He considered it too militaristic. He obviously didn't know what was going on at the time it was written. I guess they didn't teach that to him while he was going to school in another country. He suggested something like "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing....." or some other "tip-toe through the tulips" type song. Now, I saw a survey the other day where people were trying to come up with another National flag. Not the Stars and Stripes. Seems like our flag is offensive to Muslims and those of other ethnic origin. 18% of those being surveyed agreed with changing our flag. Over 5 million people disagreed with the change. Our country is being completely changed from what we all have stood for for so many years. Now that is something get your dander up about. If the flag manages to be changed, I will still fly own flag, upside down, side ways or any other way I want but it will be the Stars and Stripes.

Oldgrunt, I agree, the ONLY flags that may be flown at my house are the Stars and Stripes, Gasden and MIA/POW...

(well, I cant rule out a militia flag in there somewhere too...)

9. Anyone trying to make a political statement with such impunity to our nations inherent morals and values should be shipped elsewhere. This isn't a game people, this is liberty we are here to defend and if you want to play peek-a-boo with our nations symbol then I suggest you leave!

Fly it High. Fly it with pride, this your country love it or leave it.
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

11. You have a right to do whatever you wish to the United States Flag. Piss on it, **** on it, burn it, wear it as a diaper or fly it upside down. The United States Supreme Court says you can.

I have the right to say I think your a Jackass for doing so. The United States Supreme Court says I can.

If you want to express your feelings by using our Flag, expect many others to utilize our right of free speech to let you know what we think of your actions.
    Discussing Wisconsin's Concealed Carry Law At www.armedbadger.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast