Flying the Flag Upside Down?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying the Flag Upside Down?

Exclamation Flying the Flag Upside Down?

Ive heard that some people across our nation have decided to fly the American Flag upside down in protest of our current government situation.

Let me tell you guys who think this is ok ....

Fly the flag high and proud. Do not be ashamed of those traditions we hold proud and high! Our country may be upside down, but believe it ... that flag symbolizes more than just a country, but a symbol of freedom and pride! Lady liberty will never, ever, ever, let her light down as she holds it high and proud for all to see. We stand as 50 united states.. proud, united, & as one voice for the future of this nation and beyond. Tough times means we must stand even higher and express our desire for these liberties to our friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and all future generations.

Just because we disagree with our government doesnt mean we arnt patriots.
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

According to what I have learned in the military, fly the flag upside down when you are in distress, I would say this country is in distress.

4. Upside down does mean distress but those people doing it aren't so I don't think they should be doing so. But, to each their own. Although, it may actually be a crime to do it falsely.

5. I would never fly the flag of our country upside down. That flag represents THE REPUBLIC created by the Constitution. It represents the fallen who have given their lives in the defense of the ideals of individual liberty, and the rights of mankind to govern themselves. It is those things that that flag represents. To Fly it upside down is NOT a sign of distress it is a sign of disrespect. Those who hold to the ideals of The Republic, individual liberty and freedom from tyranny are the ones who should fly the flag highest, brightly lit and streaming proudly stating : "I will not willingly surrender My country, my ideals, and I am willing to give my life in their defense."

The flag code states:

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except
    as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or
    property.

One could argue that the current state of affairs warrants this. However, I will not allow the forces of statism and tyranny to corrupt a symbol I cherish.

6. Flying upside down: According to Section 8a of the United States Flag Code, "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."
    This was culled from another site, but it provides the code and section for future use.
    IMO just dont do it, if you are not under attack, needing military assistance or the like, it makes you look like a goof ball.

It is against flag code, but flag code is also voluntary...it's a silly way of saying you are upset. Voting is far more efficient

Thumbs down Upside down? HELL NO!

I agree that our country is in distress right now but it is a situation we can correct. If people would stop complaining, in both parties, and do what is right for the country, we would not be in distress. We need to vote people into office who care about the US and identify with it, not make excuses for it. If you want to get an appreciation for our flag, try trudging around in a combat zone wearing 100 lbs + of gear and people shooting at you. When you finally get to stand down for some rest, nothing is more inspiring than to near a fire base and see our flag flying. That symbol instantly rejuvenates your tired body and makes you proud to be an American. The distress our nation is in can be remedied but not by flying the flag upside down! IMHO that is a sign of surrender.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mustang View Post
    To Fly it upside down is NOT a sign of distress it is a sign of disrespect.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mustang View Post
    The flag code states:

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except
    as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or
    property.
    See?

Quote Originally Posted by scottbland247 View Post
    It is against flag code, but flag code is also voluntary...it's a silly way of saying you are upset. Voting is far more efficient
    No it isn't. Upside down is a part of the flag code, as shown above.

10. Quote Originally Posted by cawpin View Post
    No.

See?

No it isn't. Upside down is a part of the flag code, as shown above.
    I really do hate to argue semantics. However, the fact that I cited the flag code in the post must mean that I was aware that the flag flying upside down could be used as a sign of distress, therefore I MUST have meant something else by the statement that flying the flag is NOT as sign of distress.

For clarification: Flying the flag upsideown as a political statement is not a sign of distress, it is a sign of disrespect.

Incidently, while the flag code does in fact state that the American Flag union down should only be used as a sign of distress, the inland (for United States territorial waters) and the international rules of the road governing vessels in distress, list 17 and 16 methods of signaling distress, respectively. None of which concern the American Flag, or Ensign flown upsidedown. Please note my Naval Service mentioned in other threads as evidence of previous knowledge of this information.

I had both items in mind when I wrote the statement discussed above. Therefore, the statement "To Fly it upside down is NOT a sign of distress it is a sign of disrespect." Stands as written.

QED

11. Gotcha. And, I agree that doing it as a political statement is just stupid.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast