2nd Amendment What the heck does it say? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Amendment What the heck does it say?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Personally, I didnt need DC vs Hellers ruling. Petsonally, I dont care which way they "interpret" a document that needs no intepretation. I can read and comprehend the written word and I know what rights are affirmed by the US Constitution. Even if they reversed their decision, do you think theyre going to convince 80+ million people to give them up? Not on my watch!
    Ah, a law unto yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Hey WEW, At first I thought you were being cynical but I read more of your posts. Maybe this will help and maybe we just need to interpret it with the vocabulary of the day. Webster's Dictionary was declared the book to use by the Congress early on as the official dictionary.
    Try this link.J. Neil Schulman: The Unabridged Second Amendment
    Here is just one of many on Sir William Blackstone on Natural Law. Blackstone Institute - Sir William Blackstone
    or just "google" him. Should help.
    To all who read this thread, and think I am crazy for wrtiing it, read the first link above.
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is true that some try to confuse the meaning of the Second Amendment by claiming it is a "living document". They try to distort the meaning of militia to equate it to the National Guard, a government regulated military unit.
    At the time, the militia was composed of armed male citizens. The United States had already declared there independence from England, so these citizens were not Englishmen. These armed citizens came together, organised themselves (not by the government), for the protection of there community.
    The way I make sense of the Second Amendment is to envision the militia as all the guys in my neighborhood with rifles. If there is a threat to the community we all assemble and march out to meet the threat. So this is how I read the Amendment:

Self regulated groups of armed male citizens, being necessary to the security of our neighborhood, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think when militia is seen in this way, it all comes together in a unified statement.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Ah, a law unto yourself.
    ..... and if that is what it takes to keep the Government from holding itself above the Law... then that is the way it shall be.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    ..... and if that is what it takes to keep the Government from holding itself above the Law... then that is the way it shall be.

GG
    I was hoping you would respond to this thread, I have read many of your posts and I respect your opinion. can you elaborate more on your thoughts?
    BTW is that a confederate uniform? are you a re-enactor?
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

Without going into a rather involved and long discourse on the Constitution.... the quick and dirty of it is:

1) The Constitution is the document that allows (sic!) the federal government to organize, streamline and level the playing field between and amongst the (now) 50 States. It was supposed to be a "limited" Government. The Constitution outlining the areas of responsibility of the Fed and the Bill of Rights delineated those areas in which the Fed was to stay away from.

2) Said Constitution would NOT have been signed into Law had not that Bill of Rights been attached to it and the tacit understanding that the Fed would "play in it's own back yard."

3) Thus, the Bill of Rights was the contingent factor that allowed our federal government to even come into existance.

4) If and when, as many of us feel, the federal government has overstepped, by a considerable margin, it's "granted" power(s), as free men it is our duty to "turn out" that Government, if not at the voting booth, then by other means.

5) Therein lies the kicker.... there is an ever increasing number of citizens who wish nothing more than to trade their freedom (including economic freedom) for security. Both physical and financial. (...and "vote" thusly.)

6) When and if this "class" of citizen outnumbers those who wish to keep their freedom, with the inherent uncertainty of facing life standing on one's own two feet implied........ then our freedoms will be curtailed, taken from us, restricted.... "for our own good", you understand. Bill of Rights be damned!

7) It is at that point where those who would oppose that trend, noticing how few we are becoming, just throw in the towell. (Ain't worth the giving of my life to "save" the drones from their own failings.) The bad part of it is, generally it is the self reliant that are taxed to give "financial security" to those who want the Government to so provide.

Just my "take" on things as they stand at present.

The avatar is a "screen shot" of Jeff Daniels in his role in the movie "Gettysburg" of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, CO 20th Maine. (Later Maj Gen, Governor of Maine, President of his Alma Mater College. Six "purple hearts" during the Civil War.) A Professor of Applied Rhetoric (Philosophy, in reality.) and a good writer. Sort of a "hero" to me.

GG

Without going into a rather involved and long discourse on the Constitution.... the quick and dirty of it is:

1) The Constitution is the document that allows (sic!) the federal government to organize, streamline and level the playing field between and amongst the (now) 50 States. It was supposed to be a "limited" Government. The Constitution outlining the areas of responsibility of the Fed and the Bill of Rights delineated those areas in which the Fed was to stay away from.

2) Said Constitution would NOT have been signed into Law had not that Bill of Rights been attached to it and the tacit understanding that the Fed would "play in it's own back yard."

3) Thus, the Bill of Rights was the contingent factor that allowed our federal government to even come into existance.

4) If and when, as many of us feel, the federal government has overstepped, by a considerable margin, it's "granted" power(s), as free men it is our duty to "turn out" that Government, if not at the voting booth, then by other means.

5) Therein lies the kicker.... there is an ever increasing number of citizens who wish nothing more than to trade their freedom (including economic freedom) for security. Both physical and financial. (...and "vote" thusly.)

6) When and if this "class" of citizen outnumbers those who wish to keep their freedom, with the inherent uncertainty of facing life standing on one's own two feet implied........ then our freedoms will be curtailed, taken from us, restricted.... "for our own good", you understand. Bill of Rights be damned!

7) It is at that point where those who would oppose that trend, noticing how few we are becoming, just throw in the towell. (Ain't worth the giving of my life to "save" the drones from their own failings.) The bad part is it is generally the self reliant that are taxed to give "financial security" to those who want the Government to so provide.

The avatar is a "screen shot" of Jeff Daniels in his role in the movie "Gettysburg" of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, CO 20th Maine. (Later Maj Gen, Governor of Maine, President of his Alma Mater College. Six "purple hearts" during the Civil War.) A Professor of Applied Rhetoric (Philosophy, in reality.) and a good writer. Sort of a "hero" to me.

GG
    Why, Gunny! I have been laboring under the illusion that picture was you! Now I'm just not sure what to picture as I'm reading your posts, a single eyebrow raised inquisitively.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Why, Gunny! I have been laboring under the illusion that picture was you! Now I'm just not sure what to picture as I'm reading your posts, a single eyebrow raised inquisitively.
    Let it just suffice to say that Jeff Daniels will never be "threatened" by me in "chasing the ladies". LOL!

Although I do say that I have a certain appeal that is only appreciated by my two cats and my wife.

But.... given the choice between brains or beauty....... gee..... I'd settle for either!

GG

Besides, I've been trying to "match mustaches" for a couple of years now. (Getting close, except mine is pure white.) LOL!

GG

7) It is at that point where those who would oppose that trend, noticing how few we are becoming, just throw in the towell. (Ain't worth the giving of my life to "save" the drones from their own failings.) The bad part of it is, generally it is the self reliant that are taxed to give "financial security" to those who want the Government to so provide.

GG
    This is one of the best explainations of the situation I have ever read. Thank you for the time you spent to offer it to us.

I thought I recognized the photo, but chamberland was union wasn't he? I'm thinking culps hill the second days fight right?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast