Shooting range incident - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting range incident

Seems typical of "unmanned gun ranges". There is a MO Department of Conservation unmanned range near me that just keeps getting worse and worse with gun safety, but the good thing is that the local PD and some Conservation Agents, regularly patrol the range now to enforce the range rules and gun safety...and to make sure you are only shooting paper targets, which use to be a really big problem.
    NRA Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Basic Shotgun Instructor

When arriving at a hot gun range you should hang back for a minute and watch the other shooters. Sometimes it's better to call it a day and get out of there.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I was recently moved to second shift and can't shoot anymore, at least until I find another job.

I belong to a private range. I'm a range officer and can get in any time I want, but can only shoot if there's another person in the facility, which is tough during the day, as there's no staff.

I ABSOLUTELY will not shoot at the next closest public range. The last time I shot there, in the space of 15 minutes I was swept by the guy to my right, and three guys on my left wrestled over a loaded 12ga. while yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian.

I won't shoot any place without proper supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I was recently moved to second shift and can't shoot anymore, at least until I find another job.

I belong to a private range. I'm a range officer and can get in any time I want, but can only shoot if there's another person in the facility, which is tough during the day, as there's no staff.

I ABSOLUTELY will not shoot at the next closest public range. The last time I shot there, in the space of 15 minutes I was swept by the guy to my right, and three guys on my left wrestled over a loaded 12ga. while yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian.

I won't shoot any place without proper supervision.
    Yep! I am with you. The only reason I went to tha range in the first place was to shoot with my kids. We will be making the long drive to some farm property from now on. No more unsupervised ranges for me.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

6. I think saying, "the reason there aren't more gun accidents is a matter of luck" lacks any common sense whatsoever. Don't let a couple fools at a public range completely throw off your opinion of millions of gun owners.

Teenage girl?? The fault lies squarely with the adult. She is old enough to be responsible but this might have been her first time shooting.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Teenage girl?? The fault lies squarely with the adult. She is old enough to be responsible but this might have been her first time shooting.
    It was the first time she ever touched a gun! The "instuctor" err' MORON said so. He also said he handed her the weapon and then turned around and "BANG!" The idiot turned his back on her. He is lucky it wasn't worse.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

9. The "moron" as you described failed to teach the three safety rules.
    1) Keep the gun UNLOADED until ready to shoot.
    2) Keep the gun POINTED in a safe direction.

And in this case most of all:

3) KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE!

I also agree with the post of checking out what other people are doing at the range before setting up, but I also do this at the range I am a member of. Just because they paid a fee doesn't mean they know what they are doing!!

Just re-read the original post, another thing is this jacka$$ handed her a loaded firearm.So rule 1 was also missed!

10. we used to go to a outdoor range nw of chicago,and we had to leave somebody at the firing-line bench with a live loaded .45 to watch our backs when we changed targets ,as the idiots would point ar-15's at people down range,,this lasted 2 times and i wouldn't go back [yes we told the rso],,now when i go to a gun range i wear ''body armor'' or just go to a friends farm ,were the only thing that could happen is bambi could trample me

11. I go to a free TVA range when I go to my home town to visit, and the only reason I still go is that the 50, 100, and 150 yard ranges are separated by tall dirt burms. So unless it’s very busy I can just move over to one without anyone else. I started doing this because of what happened the last time I tried shooting on the same range as a few other people, which was a group of boys ranging from about 16 to 20. I was shooting with a friend and teaching my 10 year old brother how to shoot. The guys were still unloading there armory onto the table. It consisted of at least an AR, a 1911, and 2 AKs. I yeld at them that I was going down to change targets 2 of them gave the thumbs up, and I started walking down. I got about a 3rd of the way down when one of them started firing an ak down range.

I turned around and went off yelling saying things to them that I’m sure the lord is going to ask me about when I’m getting judged. I can’t even begin to remember what all I said but they heard me over the AK and put it down REAL QUICK! After I calmed down enough to move in some direction other than going to strangle them, I fixed our targets. Then I went and had a little talk with them. Turns out my buddy was about to **** himself because I was “picking a fight with 4 guys holding assault rifles” that’s his words.

Incidents like these don’t change my mind on whether the government should restrict people from owning guns because they are lack common since. I believe we should help guide our own in that respected. I love fire arms as both a hobby and means of self defense, but I have guided some friends (as well as random people I’ve struck up a conversation with) away from owning a gun. Several years ago a good friend of mine was talking about buying a pistol, I already owned a couple. After talking to him I became painfully aware he was gun “stupid” not to be confused with gun “ignorant”. He wanted a set of dual 9 mils in shoulder holsters because he had seen it in a rap video and tried to educate me on how shooting the pistol sideways was better than how the “untrained” fired them. My only advice for him was and still is he doesn’t need one!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast