Does anyone carry a Black Powder weapon? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone carry a Black Powder weapon?

It's a free country or at least it was until the 2008 presidential election, LOL! I believe that a law abiding citizen should be free to carry the firearm of their choice for personal protection as prescribed in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I'm a student of the history of the American frontier, own black powder and single action firearms and enjoy shooting them with the Single Action Shooting Society. Regardless, I can't think of any good reason that I would carry anything other than a modern firearm for personal protection. As someone who's carried a variety of firearms in the military and law enforcement I want the very best quality and most dependable weapons that I can get my hands on. As a LEO I've seized some pretty quality weapons from criminals including fully automatic assault rifles and submachine guns. There is no such thing as fighting fair on the street. When the chips are down I want the maximum amount of firepower available.
    National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooting Society

3. I'm not planning on trading my 1911 for a cap & ball revolver. But some of those were good guns in their time.

One thing about those old timers who had to fire their six shooters dry each day, clean then reload: They got six shots of practice each day, 180 shots per month. The became very familiar with their weapons.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

say a situation did arise and you needed to reload?

Hamilton,

I agree with you. There were many excellent firearms during the 19th Century and the people that carried them practiced routinely and fired these weapons to defend themselves. Regardless, I maintain that it's more prudent to carry the most accurate, dependable and powerful firearm that is currently available.

A five year FBI study conducted by The Force Science Research Centerentitled "Law Enforcement Involved Shootings- Research on Circumstances" revealed the following about the violent criminals in America.
    Among other things, the data reveal that most would-be cop killers:

Criminals often show signs of being armed that officers miss; have more experience using deadly force in "street combat" than their intended victims;

Criminals practice with firearms more often and shoot more accurately. Studies show that many criminals have been "packing" a gun since their early teens.

Criminals have no hesitation whatsoever about pulling the trigger and many have been in more gunfights than the cops (or certainly law abiding civilians).

"If you hesitate," one told the study's researchers, "you're dead. You have the instinct or you don't. If you don't, you're in trouble on the street.."

This is the link to a reprint of the article:

Law Enforcement Involved Shootings Research On Circumstances - Patriot Action Network

My point is simply that the bad guys routinely get the jump on some of the best trained law enforcement professionals in the country. Civilians need to be just as prepared and vigilant as cops in protecting themselves and their loved ones. I believe that part of being prepared is carrying the best firearm that you can afford and learning how to use it proficiently.
    National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooting Society

They still perform just as they were originally designed.

For defense I prefer something more modern.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcopper View Post
    Hamilton,

I agree with y.....
    Criminals have no hesitation whatsoever about pulling the trigger and many have been in more gunfights than the cops (or certainly law abiding civilians).

"...it isn't always being fast, or even accurate that counts.
    It's being willing...." John Bernard Books
    Last edited by Bighouse Doc; 06-09-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

I love shooting BP. But I would not carry it every day. I could probably conceal a short barreled Colt as easy as my 1911. The cleaning and care is a little more than I want to do on a daily basis. You carry what works for you! For example, I had a heck of a time hitting the middle with a Glock. (They make a good gun and many folks carry them.) I score much better with my Walther P99. I was still off a little during IDPA. However, when I picked up the 1911, that was it. It isn't about history or anything goofy. It is only the fact that I can put em in the middle when I have to.
    YMMV.

Psalm 82:3-5

Bad Idea dude. too many things can go wrong. powder gets wet from rain or condensation just going from A/C to outside,(seen it happen). YOU MUST leave the hammer on an empty chamber for safety because the cap can be detonated by bumping the hammer so you are down to five shots. You say you have shot alot so ask yourself how many times you have dropped the hammer on a cap and it did not go BOOM. I can't remember how many times I have done it, but it is common with cap and ball.
    Just a real bad idea unless its the ONLY weapon you have available. In that case I would say carry it by all means.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

It's not the only one I have, just one of few and I just wanted opinions and thanks to you guys I think I will carry my Llama and I was leaning to my llama more anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12