Home Defense 9mm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Home Defense 9mm

  1. Home Defense 9mm

    What's the best 9mm (Glock19) ammo for home protection? I'm sure everyone has there favorites, so what should I be looking for? FMJ, Hollow, Grain...?

  2.   
  3. #2
    This is only my opinion, and others are certainly valid. That said, I've always been more of a fan of the shotgun over the pistol for home defense for a number of reasons. Firstly, stopping power. The 12 gauge has significantly more stopping power than a 9, 40, or a 45. Secondly, safety. It is always paramount to know what is in the range of fire, and inside a home that includes on the other side of walls. A pistol round is very likely to go through multiple layers of wallboard if off target. My selection of round for the 12 gauge is #4 birdshot. The firing distance inside a home in a defensive situation is less than 20 feet. At that distance an intruder will be stopped and dropped by #4 birdshot without as much fear of overpenetration through walls. For me it all comes down to stopping power vs. safety and overpenetration with the 12 ga containing #4 birdshot giving me the best balance in my own opinion.

    All of that said, for pistol rounds I am a fan of the Winchester PDX1 round for my defensive carry ammunition of choice for all of my handguns.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    My personal favorites are:

    Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 147gr.
    Federal Hydra-Shock 147gr.

    Some may recommend a lighter/faster 9mm but I prefer these two rounds for inside the home as the slower velocity reduces the chance of overpenetration through walls, etc. The Speer has an impressive exapnsion for a 9mm... about .6" of an inch. Outside the home I prefer a faster/lighter round. However, when one does the math (O.S.S.R.) both rounds have a similar one shot stop ratio of about 73%.

    Glock does not recommend the use of +P or +P+ rounds.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee Florida
    Posts
    1,876
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

    Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

    All good choices in 9mm, I prefer the 147 gr JHP Loads.
    As to shotguns ..... Birdshot's for birds, Slugs are for Thugs.

    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

    "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

  6. #5
    I could assume that you either have a shotgun and know what to load it with already or that may only have the Glock 19 and nothing else at this time. If the latter is so I would recommend adding a Shotgun as soon as financially possible.

    You want a Hollowpoint so you get better expansion and better odds at stopping the target's threat to you and yours. All a FMJ is going to do it blow through your target and hit something behind. That is only good if the badguys are lined up for you. If you have roommates/family in your home be sure to work out a home invasion plan to help keep them out of the line of fire.


    Quote Originally Posted by tbrazzale View Post
    This is only my opinion, and others are certainly valid. That said, I've always been more of a fan of the shotgun over the pistol for home defense for a number of reasons. Firstly, stopping power. The 12 gauge has significantly more stopping power than a 9, 40, or a 45. Secondly, safety. It is always paramount to know what is in the range of fire, and inside a home that includes on the other side of walls. A pistol round is very likely to go through multiple layers of wallboard if off target. My selection of round for the 12 gauge is #4 birdshot. The firing distance inside a home in a defensive situation is less than 20 feet. At that distance an intruder will be stopped and dropped by #4 birdshot without as much fear of overpenetration through walls. For me it all comes down to stopping power vs. safety and overpenetration with the 12 ga containing #4 birdshot giving me the best balance in my own opinion.

    All of that said, for pistol rounds I am a fan of the Winchester PDX1 round for my defensive carry ammunition of choice for all of my handguns.
    Good point there, but in addition to your home (its construction and occupants) is the proximity to other homes. Are you in an apartment, Duplex, or in the city/dense suburb where the houses are just far enough apart to run a mower between them? If that is the case I "might" use the #4 in a shotgun, for the first two shells and follow that up by #00 buck incase that didn't stop the threat. I go by the philosophy that bird shot is for birds* and I don't see a bird breaking in to my home. I prefer to use #00 and in my situation, I'm in a rural area and in the direction from my bedroom to my front door if I have an off target round and the round makes it through the Sheetrock and the Red brick outer wall, the closest building in half a mile away. In my situation, I lead of with my Shotgun loaded with 8 Hornaday TAP 00 Buck and follow up with my Glock 17 Loaded with Speer Gold Dot 147 gr GDHP.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    My personal favorites are:

    Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 147gr.
    Federal Hydra-Shock 147gr.

    Some may recommend a lighter/faster 9mm but I prefer these two rounds for inside the home as the slower velocity reduces the chance of overpenetration through walls, etc. The Speer has an impressive exapnsion for a 9mm... about .6" of an inch. Outside the home I prefer a faster/lighter round. However, when one does the math (O.S.S.R.) both rounds have a similar one shot stop ratio of about 73%.

    Glock does not recommend the use of +P or +P+ rounds.
    Yep Gold Dot has the expansion needed and that is why I use that loading in my 9mm weapons


    * quote from the box o truth website, see Bold section below.

    From the box o truth website

    Birdshot as a Defense Load
    I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

    We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

    A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

    In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

    Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.


    But doesn't 00 Buck penetrate too much in interior walls to be a "safe" load in a home?
    Yes, it does penetrate a lot. But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn't penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

    Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.

    When To Use Birdshot
    A friend of AR15.com sends this:

    "I saw a gunshot victim, about 5' 10" and 200 lbs, taken to the operating room with a shotgun wound to the chest. He was shot at a range of six feet at a distance of just over the pectoralis muscle. He was sitting on his front porch and walked to the ambulance. We explored the chest after x-rays were taken. The ER doc had said 'buckshot' wound, but this was obviously not accurate.

    It was # 6 shot. There was a crater in the skin over an inch in diameter. When the shot hit the level of the ribs, it spread out about five inches. There was ONE pellet that had passed between the ribs and entered the pericardium, but not damaged the heart at all. As you say, 'use birdshot for little birds.'"
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

  7. Agreed !!

  8. the round that changed my mind about 9mm.

    I used to not trust 9mm enough to carry it daily. I used to carry .45 or. 40. But after some recomendations and some research, I really like the Winchester Ranger T line. It truely has some very impressive ballistics. From what I gathered, it is a reincarnation of the famous Black Talon round that received alot of bad press about it being a inhumane round capable of too much tissue damage. I feel very confident carrying either 16 of them in my Glock 19, or 9 in my HK P7. The P7 being my all-time favorite pistol. Read about them. If you decide on them, they are marked "law enforcement only" which is the way they are marketed and in no means the law. (Check your areas laws first) you can get them online. A guy on Glocktalk sells them regularly, and a lot of gun sites as well sell them. I personally use the 127 g. +p non bonded as recommended to me by Mas. Hope I helped.
    Thanks, Chris

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by XxDBENCxX View Post
    What's the best 9mm (Glock19) ammo for home protection? I'm sure everyone has there favorites, so what should I be looking for? FMJ, Hollow, Grain...?
    \

    My answer to your question (I also have a G19 for HD): 115g +P Cor-Bon DPX. I have it in my G19 for HD, my G26 for carry.

    Fitch

  10. #9
    I am still working on what I feel is usable for me. With that said I am presently using Speer Gold Dot +p 124gr for both G19 and G26. Just adding I have had good luck with the Winchester T's as well as Corbon 115 +p ( which is said to have a 91% incapacitate with a 14'' depth @1331ftps. But I am coming to be partial to the Speer Gold Dot +p. ( which is used in a number of LE agency's and has been proven on the street and recommended by Mas )

  11. Thanks guys for the info. I do have a shotty but is a Maverick 88 and sometimes it's not a easy gun to grab and go in the middle of the night. That's why I want the best for HD in my Glock19 to serve as my grab and go weapon. Seems like Speer Gold keeps coming up. I'll see what my local shop has and run them by you guys for opinions tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast