After a real shooting...

Thread: After a real shooting...

Thumbs up After a real shooting...

Some Sage advice from Massad Ayoob and a must see... After a Real Shooting – Guns & Ammo

to highlight
    5 point check list. After calling 911

1. Officer this man attacked me.

2. I will sign the complaint.

3. Evidence is here.

4. Witnesses are there.

5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hours after I have spoken with counsel.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Some Sage advice from Massad Ayoob and a must see... After a Real Shooting – Guns & Ammo
    Man that is one hell of a SEXY S&WM&P he is holding. He has an outstanding training school in NH, about an hour from me.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Those are excellent recommendations. I carry a card that states the following:

GETTING THROUGH THE FIRST NIGHT AFTER A CRITICAL INCIDENT

1. Implement calming techniques
    2. Watch your beverage selection
    3. Start talking it out*
    4. Ignore the media
    5. Use your routine to you advantage

*Don't discuss the incident with law enforcement until you have consulted a criminal defense attorney.
    National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooting Society

Good Vid, informative as well. Dependant on the situation, there will be more Q&A's by the responding offices. They will ask why felt a need to use deadly force. BUT I totally agree to keep it to a minimum. Statements you make could be used against you in a court of law.
    Th!anks Sheldon
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Excellent advice.

7. So guys, what is the substitute for # 2 (I will sign the complaint) if the bad guy is lying there dead. Seems like a "I will sign the complaint" is a no-go is this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by joemendoza View Post
    So guys, what is the substitute for # 2 (I will sign the complaint) if the bad guy is lying there dead. Seems like a "I will sign the complaint" is a no-go is this situation.
    The big thing I see missing here is "I was in fear for my life" That is a clause in most of the new Castle doctrines that will get you off the hook when nothin else will. That should be #1 not #2
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

9. What many don't know is that LEOs are told not to make any statement for 48-72 hours due to the amped state they are in immediately following a shooting.

There are two very important publications that folks should make themselves aware of that illustrate this quite well. The first is the DOJ's own Violent Encounters manual. The second is the January issue of US Concealed Carry magazine, with specific emphasis on the article named "Memory Distortions".

The memory distortion article illustrates two very real issues that can happen and exactly why you say absolutely nothing for at least 48 hours. One is the clear distortion of memories through time perception slowing, one example from the article was a LEO firing his pistol who couldn't figure out what the gold colored beer cans were that were flying past his head. They were .40 caliber pistol casings from his own pistol. Another is the complete fabrication of memories, known as false memories. False memories even impact witnesses, not just the shooter!

These, especially the last one, are also items that illustrate that NO eye witness testimony is truly reliable. Credible, maybe, but reliable it is not. I've even experienced the eye witness issue on a minor incident (non-firearm related) where 2 people standing side-by-side watched the same incident and dictated that they saw things completely different.

So let's illustrate something Ayoob isn't covering within those aspects. Someone attacked you. Depending on State law, that might not be enough. You may have to illustrate that your life was in danger or that you were facing serious physical injury per your State's statute.

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon View Post
    some sage advice from massad ayoob and a must see... after a real shooting – guns & ammo

to highlight
    5 point check list. After calling 911

1. Officer this man attacked me.

2. I will sign the complaint.

3. Evidence is here.

4. Witnesses are there.

5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hours after i have spoken with counsel.
    AND THEN SHUT YOUR MOUTH! Not another word. Also, don't be shocked if you're arrested.

It's the innocent who need an attorney. Let the guilty lie for themselves.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcopper View Post
    Those are excellent recommendations. I carry a card that states the following:

GETTING THROUGH THE FIRST NIGHT AFTER A CRITICAL INCIDENT

1. Implement calming techniques
    2. Watch your beverage selection
    3. Start talking it out*
    4. Ignore the media
    5. Use your routine to you advantage

*Don't discuss the incident with law enforcement until you have consulted a criminal defense attorney.
    Your last comment needs to be expanded on a little. One piece of advice I don't think I have ever heard detailed is that as soon as you can write everything down in detail while it is still fresh in your memory. Later you can use it to help you remember what hapened. You may find later that your initial thoughts were incorrect but this will help. Do not be afraid to do this so later you can repeat what you originally said or thought and why you changed. Second is about discussing it wil law enforcement. Do not discuss the details it with anyone except your lawyer or someone you can trust (wife...) until you have written it down. Do not go out to a bar and start telling your story or to your neighbors and stay away from the media.