Opinions on a Good CHEAP home defense Shotgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a Good CHEAP home defense Shotgun

Opinions on a Good CHEAP home defense Shotgun

I am not familiar with shotguns at all so when answering this post assume that i am absolutely LOST.

i currently use my P95 as a home defense weapon....unless something else is closer. :)

thank you.

Dollar for dollar, hard to beat the Pardner Protector. And the Remington 870 aftermarket accessories, like the pistol grip, fit the Pardner Protector.

H&R 1871 NP1-P18 HRI Pardner Pump 12 18.5 Syn#

i have a mossberg 500a and got it new for about $250 a few years back. great over all shotgun and simple to use. all i had to do was take the wooden rod out of the mag (where the shotgun shells sit inside the tube under the barrel) and i was good to go. after taking the rod out i can get 3 more rounds in it so over all i have 7+1. would love to add a ghost ring kit and a surefire light and bolt a shell carrier on the side. to me thats the best home kit i can get for ME. shop around and maybe even look into used shotguns.. u can find some real gems for cheap (if u can find them)

good luck!

In case you don't know what that rod is for, it is required to be in the gun when you go bird hunting since you cant have over 3 shots.

I have a Mossberg 500 in 410 bore. It is real easy to rapid fire and the recoil is light. There is a suprising number factory self- defence loads available in 410 bore including 000 buckshot, 00 buckshot, slugs, and more. Winchester makes a shell they call "Stop The Threat" which has 3 projectiles and 12 BBs in each shell. The muzzle energy of a slug can be 700 or more foot pounds which puts a standard 410 slugs muzzle energy the same or greater than a 357 magnum. A 410 has another advantage in that if you miss there is less chance your round will go through multiple walls(think apartments) and hurt or kill an innocent person. Oh and I reload my own shells to save money and to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Dollar for dollar, hard to beat the Pardner Protector. And the Remington 870 aftermarket accessories, like the pistol grip, fit the Pardner Protector.

H&R 1871 NP1-P18 HRI Pardner Pump 12 18.5 Syn#
    I have one of these, they are very good, for the money.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

+1 on the Pardner protector. Fits 6+1 with the plug and plastic spring retainer removed from the tube.

p.s. That P95 is also great. I have one stashed with a 20+ rd mag for the wife.

Remington 870 is great and pretty cheap new at around $300. Pardner protector is fine and cheap. Go look at some local gun stores and pawnshops to see if you can find a good used Remington 870 or even a Mossberg. If you need to, bring a friend who knows shotguns.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

I'm saving up for one of these Impact Guns - Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12g 18.5" w/CAR Stock right now I use a sears model 200 20g loaded with 00 buck.

Mossberg or Remington are my two favorites. Local pawn shop will have a good selection. If they don't wait a week or two.
    JMHO

Psalm 82:3-5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast