Knowing Your Invisible Line ~ When to draw your weapon. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knowing Your Invisible Line ~ When to draw your weapon.

I will only draw my firearm to save life.

Yes.Thats you,Not the Average person who CCWs Most poeple who receive their CCW do not have that kind of formal training and never will. I would like to think I'm wrong and everyone who carries could and will handle the threat. But I dont think its the case. FEAR is a powerful Emotion. It can make one Freeze in their Tracks..

To the original post, as many scenarios you can come up with, as many classes you can train for, there is an unlimited amount of what if's...that being said...I go by my post above

5. Good post rudiepop.

One of the ways I try to practice the defining of that line is spacial awareness drills. Noting exits, examining folks in the immediate environment (eye contact can give you a lot), and keeping that predatory mindset are all things that I practice from time to time. They certainly don't have to be obvious and they certainly don't have to be hyper-vigilant, though some will claim it actually is.

The predatory mindset I speak of is understanding how an attacker might get to me, how easy of a target I've made myself, and whether or not there's an easy possibility of the use of a ranged weapon. Hand to hand I'll have the advantage for the most part, add a ranged weapon and there may be others that could become victims quite quickly...that and you may not see it coming as easily with a ranged weapon.

Think and train like the predator to beat the predator. IE, know and understand the potential threat you'll be facing.

6. training becomes instinct

With proper training and repeated drills to hone those skills your training will become your instinctual reaction in a stressful situation.

My opinion is simply determine are you under clear and present danger. If so draw, if the threat doesn't flee then watch his hands. Hope to God he complies with your commands and go from there.

Treo and SAR said it all. The law in SC clearly makes the point of "PRESUMPTION" of imminent danger. The line (which is easier said than done under the stress of the situation) is when you not only realize imminent danger but have the ability to articulate your actions--in the end, unless you have a string of witnesses, it is going to be what you say to the legal system that will determine your future. And always remember, if the situation is in a public venue---scream loudly and express your reluctance to do anything as you retreat (if possible) and to express your "presumption"---it is called "witnesses".

TOOL OF LAST RESORT.

Only use a weapon in self defense when imminent threat of grave bodily harm exists for yourself or another. Use it to stop a homicide, forceable sexual attack, arson, rape, kidnapping or assault of such depravity that significant injury may occur.

Only use a weapon when the need is so great that you must risk ruining the rest of your life.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Yes.Thats you,Not the Average person who CCWs Most poeple who receive their CCW do not have that kind of formal training and never will. I would like to think I'm wrong and everyone who carries could and will handle the threat. But I dont think its the case. FEAR is a powerful Emotion. It can make one Freeze in their Tracks..
    Irishcopper is right. You don't have to go to someplace like frontsite or thunderranch to get training. Training can be just practicing what to do in the event that you are jumped.

I usually tell this story in conjunction w/ keeping a round in the chamber there there's a training element involved too.

I got jumped in the parking lot of my apartment when I first started carrying. I drew my gun but because I panicked I completely forgot that I had no round chambered. I performed exactly to the level of my training and luck not instinct saved my ass.

When I was in college I took a job as a security guard and because I was alone on my site I walked around all night practicing my draw by the numbers. move the shirt, grasp the gun , draw the gun, take a two handed grip as the gun comes level. I deliberately didn't practice for speed just for correct form.

One night I was out walking the fenceline in the dark , something ran past me in the dark and jumped the fence ( I think it was a deer) and my muscle memory took over and I drew w/out even thinking about it. I also practice magazine changes until it's second nature.

Even that much can give you an edge
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The invisible line has too many scenarios for just one invisible line. True if my life or family's life is in danger than yes I know where I stand with out hesitation, although if it is a business being held up at gun point this brings on a differed approach. do I wait till the robbery is over or do I feel the vendor's life is in danger. Also depending on where this is going down, how many innocent people are at danger. Another scenario that does occur once in a while of two men in the parking lot and one has a gun drawn on the other, what do I do? To be honest I really do not know as the one with the gun may be an undercover LEO, or visa versa by me interrupting I could cost someone their life. The invisible line is very intuit and really much mental training needs to be taught self discipline. I understand Epinephrine as in any case of performing in a live situation to get the adrenaline going and one need to get this under control. I can honestly say I have been there with gun fire coming at me and my stress levels were off the chart, but because of combat training I gather my thoughts and performed under pressure, although still scared. All of US with a back ground in some type of training should be able to to react under these conditions using our heads before our firearms.
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    The invisible line has too many scenarios for just one invisible line. True if my life or family's life is in danger than yes I know where I stand with out hesitation, although if it is a business being held up at gun point this brings on a differed approach. do I wait till the robbery is over or do I feel the vendor's life is in danger. Also depending on where this is going down, how many innocent people are at danger. Another scenario that does occur once in a while of two men in the parking lot and one has a gun drawn on the other, what do I do? To be honest I really do not know as the one with the gun may be an undercover LEO, or visa versa by me interrupting I could cost someone their life. The invisible line is very intuit and really much mental training needs to be taught self discipline. I understand Epinephrine as in any case of performing in a live situation to get the adrenaline going and one need to get this under control. I can honestly say I have been there with gun fire coming at me and my stress levels were off the chart, but because of combat training I gather my thoughts and performed under pressure, although still scared. All of US with a back ground in some type of training should be able to to react under these conditions using our heads before our firearms.
    Well said, sir! the invisible is situational, and a one size fits all approach will lead to tragedy. the call must be made in the moment, second to second.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast