Vehicle Carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Carry

Vehicle Carry

Is it legal to mount a holster in my truck under the dash where I could access it quickly? I've had a situation where a guy tried to open my door and then the "what ifs" started. I was able to drive off running the red light safely as there wasn't any traffic in the late night hours. But what if I was in traffic and I couldn't get away and I couldn't unholster fast enough and this guy got to me?

In Florida, yes. In some other states...not so much.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Don't quote me, but I believe (like most gun laws) that this permission varies by state, county, city, etc. I'd check with a LEO friend on the rules where you live.
    NYMoose

Quote Originally Posted by nymoose View Post
    I'd check with a LEO friend on the rules where you live.
    Never ask a cop about the law you look up the statute for your self and make sure you can quote it verbatium. So when the cop says 'Yada Yada yada" you can say " Really officer ? Because CRS 18-12-204 paragraph 3 says...." "Am I free to go?"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by nymoose View Post
    Don't quote me, but I believe (like most gun laws) that this permission varies by state, county, city, etc. I'd check with a LEO friend on the rules where you live.
    LEO's are just about the worst people to ask for legal advice. Also, Florida has complete state preemption of firearms laws.

Here's the relevant statutes:
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

790.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
    (17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
    (3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
    (l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;

790.33 Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.—
    (1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

In AL, yes:D

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefmeister View Post
    In AL, yes:D
    Not without a valid license. Our OP never mentioned if he had a permit/license or not.

You could meet the "snapped in a holster" requirement with a seat strap type holster. I dont know if that would fit your needs, but it basically straps to your seat cushion and you could put any holster you like on it. It positions the firearm between your knees on the front of your seat. I have never used one so if anyone has any info feel free to add it.

Welcome to DeSantis Gunhide®. "We didn't invent concealment, we just perfected it." — DeSantis Holster Search: ingston car seat holster
    "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, 1962.)
    Land Of The Free... Void Where Prohibited By Law.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Not without a valid license. Our OP never mentioned if he had a permit/license or not.
    I have a license. I did say what if I couldn't unholster fast enough.

So if I have a snap holster riveted to the underside of my dash I could do so legally? I also think it would be more comfortable keeping it there instead of in a IWB holster while driving.

Do you have a permit? Because there is probably some ambiguity with regard to that if you don't, but if you do have one, there should be no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast