Would/Should you provide medical care to someone you shoot? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would/Should you provide medical care to someone you shoot?

Maybe.... Maybe not....

Psalm 82:3-5

As an off duty paramedic, no there is no case I would stick around to aid the bg...when 911 is called police will go in before EMS...if they get there in time..ok.

Those that talk about shooting to kill, I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. That being said, I don't want to kill another person, ever. But if I want to save a life, taking a life might be the answer, so I will shoot to save life. Every one has their right to their own opinion...I just find it sick to talk about killing another human so easily...

Again...my own opinion...defend your life however you want to justify it

4. What are the odds that the BG(s) who attack(ed) you are going to render first aid after they have beaten, maimed, caused injury and or harm to you, your family or your loved ones.......I am going to go out on a limb and maybe just maybe say .001% If the BG is down and out and no longer remains any type of threat I'll assess myself first and do my best to provide aid to anyone who may have been caught up in the mix.

i agree with all posts. i will not help someone who has tried to harm or kill me or a member of my family. maybe they should of thought about what could happen before they tried to get what they wanted from me. i think after a few holes with .40 s&w ranger t series they will understand the situation they put THEMSELVES in.

I guess you got your answer to the question. If someone was bad enough to shoot because I was in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury, they are bad enough to let 911 etal take care of them---I might make a "mistake" in my first aid and I certainly would not want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    As an off duty paramedic, no there is no case I would stick around to aid the bg...when 911 is called police will go in before EMS...if they get there in time..ok.

Those that talk about shooting to kill, I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. That being said, I don't want to kill another person, ever. But if I want to save a life, taking a life might be the answer, so I will shoot to save life. Every one has their right to their own opinion...I just find it sick to talk about killing another human so easily...

It's not humor. It's not sarcasm. It's real life.

If you are NOT prepared to shoot to kill, when someone has become a threat to your life - then you've pretty much already lost, and might as well sell your firearms since carrying one isn't going to do you a bit of good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain:208053
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post

It's not humor. It's not sarcasm. It's real life.

If you are NOT prepared to shoot to kill, when someone has become a threat to your life - then you've pretty much already lost, and might as well sell your firearms since carrying one isn't going to do you a bit of good.
    actually "shooting to kill" or even using that expression within earshot of potential witnesses for the prosecution is likely to place you in the position of having to defend yourself against charges of intent, manslaughter, homicide, etc. You should never present the case that it was your intent to end someones life bad guy or otherwise. Its of much concern to me the general lack of fore thought regarding the legal rammifications of defending yourself in todays politically charged society. If you choose to carry or even use a firearm for home defense. You should be fully aware and accepting that you may face a legal nightmare and even possibly spend time in jail. You should decide, know and be committed to what degree you are willing to go before you accept the responsabilities of carry a firearm. If you are firm in the convictions of your commitments then when the bad stuff goes down your only decision will be where to place the bullet. You won't be distracted by "what ifs".
    Your willingness and ability to pull the trigger and STOP the threat is what is required of those desiring to carry. Expressing the desire to "kill" an offender only increases the odds of either civil or legal consequences. The underlying gratification of exacting justice or even revenge is natural. But to remain above reproach means avoiding operating on emotion.

9. A long time back when I was in college and was first exploring the idea of carrying a gun on a regular basis. (I know most folks get more liberal in college, Me? I got more libertarian!) At the time I was applying to medical school and asked a question about the conflict between the hippocratic oath and the use of deadly force.

The conclusion I came to was that the hippocratic oath applies only when I am acting in my role as a physician. I use deadly force as en extension of my human right to life which is of a higher order than my role as physician. I do not give up my right to life simply because I take the hippocratic oath.

Now suppose I have just utilized deadly force to stop a threat. The person upon whom and at whose expense I exercised my right to life, lies wounded some distance away. If I do nothing, he may bleed to death. If I act I may place my life in danger. Their appears to be a moral conflict.

The resolution of this conflict depends upon one thing: My own safety. I have acted to preserve my own life therefore I cannot be expected to endanger my life to render medical care. If the person who has been shot (I cannot call him a victim) is completely incapacitated and is no longer a threat should I place myself in his immediate proximity, then I could reasonably be expected to act. However immediately following a self defense shooting I expect that I am going to be in no condition to accurately assess the threat potential of the situation. Nor am I likely to be in any condition to render competant, compassionate care to my former assailant.

My efforts at rendering aid will be limited to calling 911, as a physician I know that if paramedics can arrive in less than 10min and provide initial stabilization, and if they can transport my former assailant to a trauma center for difinitive treatment within 1 hour his chances of survival are good. Making that effort and being able to articulate those concerns in a statement (after consulting an attorney) should be sufficient.
    "Get this through your head! We're not fighting to have everybody think the way we do, we're fighting so that people can think whatever they want! Even if they don't agree with us!"--Stalker, GI JOE #39

25 Years as a Paramedic helping "BG's is why I am no longer a medic. In the areas I worked a heart attack came due to a knife or bullet hole. Usually from another BG. Criminial = NOT NICE. CALL 911.

If they wanted first aid from me they should have twisted an ankle, not place my life in danger. They get what they ask for.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast