Would/Should you provide medical care to someone you shoot? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Would/Should you provide medical care to someone you shoot?

1. Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    " For those who want to empty your magazine into the BG to make sure he's dead, sleep tight and sweet dreams. (yes, the sarcasm was intended) "

Comments like this can certainly make one consider your sincerity.
    Don't doubt my sincerity. I was being sarcastic because when some people talk about killing someone else so easily, I don't think they fully understand the changes that they will go through. There may be second guessing going on as to whether you had to kill them or not and most likely nightmares for a long time. Some people have even given up their firearms because it was so traumatic to have to take another person's life. So the sarcasm was really meant for those that think life will be the same for them with no psychological ramifications.

If it's safe to do so (threat down and disarmed, no other threats) you would be well advised to do so. Especially if you have the training and you just let that person die you will look pretty bad in court. Just my 2 cents.

I know we forum people are all gung ho about protecting ourselves and that's okay but let's think realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967:208370
    If it's safe to do so (threat down and disarmed, no other threats) you would be well advised to do so. Especially if you have the training and you just let that person die you will look pretty bad in court. Just my 2 cents.

I know we forum people are all gung ho about protecting ourselves and that's okay but let's think realistically.
    Realistically, there are too many situations to say there is definitely a right and wrong thing to do. In my life, i spend most of my time with my family, which means more than likely they will be present when day x arrives...in which case there are more important priorities than medical attention for the bg (I'm a paramedic BTW).

I do not know of any ambulance, public or private, that allows staff to carry. Even a knife unless clearly used as a rescue tool, isn't allowed. That being said...I do know paramedics who carry, and I do know paramedics who have defended themselves...in which case police arrive very quickly, there is usually a substantial amount of fire, police, and other ems on scene anyways, and medics will take care of each other before giving medical attention to the aggressor.

I would expect even less attention to the bg by a civilian or off duty emt.

Quote Originally Posted by Iteach4U View Post
    What that illustrates:
    You have disengaged from the matter.
    You have concern for the safety of yourself and others because you called 911.
    You may have been the victim of a crime.
    You want first responders to arrive quickly.
    You don't want the attacker to get away which could make identification of that attacker difficult. (the eyes-on part)
    You want witnesses in the event that you are forced to take further action.
    There is NO MAY to it, you are a victim, your defended yourself as allowed by Law.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Anyone who places my (or mine) lives in eminent danger is going to be shot. (If I have any recourse to my weapons in the particuclar situation.) Shoot to stop, but with any luck (and accuracy) it will permanently remove that particular dirtbag from any further efforts of harming anyone else further down his/her career.

Render first aid? Not without exactly the same level of "protection" that hospitals take to insure that blood is not "touched". (In addition to the "make sure the area/culprit is safe" admonition.) Since I generally don't carry such protection or have it in the house..... be damned if I will risk it. (.... and that alone should be a perfectly acceptable defense, should the situation ever arise.)

I have little sympathy for those who break the law and then demand that the "law" protect their "Rights". (The "must render aid" abomination Law, mentioned above..... not on MY watch.)

Thus, it can be concluded, at least in those jurisdictions where Lib anti-gun crap and PC does NOT reign wildly, if you have a "righteous shoot", it will never come to trial. (DAs have other things to do.) Further, efforts must be made, in every State, that the "Castle Doctrine" addressing frivolous civil suits resulting from "righteous shoots" are encoded.

Shoot to stop. Certainly. (... and ALWAYS refer to it thusly!) If you happen to kill the perp, look at it as a public service. (i.e. That dirtbag won't be back out on the streets in a few years plying his trade any more.) Besides, if the perp is alive, by the time he gets out of the hospital, he and his lawyer(s) will have concocted a wonderous "version" of events in the effort to make YOU look like the BG. In this nation, Justice is only served to those with the Lawyers with the best line of BS.

Short story..... a dead perp tells no tales, truth or otherwise.

Bottom line: Shoot to stop, but be damn accurate at it! (Sly wink here!)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

[QUOTE=OpenCarryYes;207940]I think we all agree that IF we have to shoot for our safety we are shooting to stop the threat and not to kill the person.

My wife is an EMT and she carries (when she's off duty). My question is, if you had the first aid training, would you provide care to the person that you shot?

I cannot agree with you on your first statement. I was always have been taught or trained to first give the perp every chance to leave your home and or area. Also you have no idea what what the perp is on, i.e., Angel Dust/PCP, LSD, Coke, Heroine, etc., and one needs to shoot to kill and to empty your firearm as he is there for one of two things to rob you, then let him have whatever he wants, or he is there to murder you and your family. There is a third possibility and that is a home invasion and you may be pistol whipped, females raped and beaten, children murdered. No matter why he is there the perp is uninvited and up to no good does not belong there. You wound this person the perp he will have an attorney and sue you, and if you kill him his family will sue you whether they liked him or not ,so you are screwed in any case. But I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 and take my chances in a Civil Court.

The second part is, read my first part
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

8. My medical care is in the form of 911 when I get a chance to safely use my phone

However distasteful it may be to you, making an effort to assist the Bad Guy you just shot will reflect more positively on you, the Defendant, at your trial (possibly criminal, almost certainly civil). Of course, if you believe the Bad Guy is still a threat, GTFO and call 911; if they're down and out, make an effort to stop the bleeding and maintain an airway.

A demonstration of humanity is rarely a wasted effort, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMac View Post
    However distasteful it may be to you, making an effort to assist the Bad Guy you just shot will reflect more positively on you, the Defendant, at your trial (possibly criminal, almost certainly civil). Of course, if you believe the Bad Guy is still a threat, GTFO and call 911; if they're down and out, make an effort to stop the bleeding and maintain an airway.

A demonstration of humanity is rarely a wasted effort, IMO.
    If the BG is still breathing - then HE IS STILL A THREAT. Without a medical degree and a reliable crystal ball, YOU CANNOT TELL from looking at him how incapacitated he really is.

1. Having just defended myself from an unlawful deadly force attack, I'm not going to risk giving MYSELF a death sentence by getting AIDS/HIV from my assailant.
    2. I'm not going to risk lawsuit over improper rendering of first aid to somebody who only moments ago was trying to maim or murder me.

If you try to inflict on me, death or great bodily harm, you can expect nothing from me in the way of aid besides a call to 911. If they don't get there in time, it clearly sucks to be you. Perhaps that should have gone into your calculus of whether or not to attack me.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast