Would/Should you provide medical care to someone you shoot? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Would/Should you provide medical care to someone you shoot?

1. If I was scared enough to feel it necessary to shoot him/her/it what makes you think I would feel it is safe enough to get into contact range of them?

I hate it for him/her/it, but the only option I see and they get to lay there and bleed until somebody in a uniform comes to take care of them.

There is no possible way to answer this without knowing many more details of what happened. If I shoot someone it will be clearly that I was in fear of my life from the person I just shot. Once I put a bullet into him that fear will not all of a sudden go away, if it does then you should not have shot him. If he is lying there wounded hollering "help me" I am not going to go ruiing up to him offering first aid. Always secure the scene to be sure things are safe, they don't all of a sudden become safe because of a couple of bullets from your gun no matter what kind of gun and bullets they are. Get help, by that I mean call 911. If you have your gun on you then you need to also have your cell phone on you; No cell phone then no gun. After the assess the situation and if the BG needs first aid and you feel that you can provide it in a safe manner then do it. Remember that even if he is lying there in a pool of blood not moving, that does not mean that he doesn't have another weapon and cannot all of a sudden turn over and start using it. That is why LEO do this terrible thing of placing handcuffs on someone lying face down dying instead of immediately turning them over.

There are lots of things to think about but the first rule of offering first aid to ANYONE is do not become a casulty yourself. Only offer first aid when you can do it safely. The second rule of first aid is get help if possible. Once those two are satisfied then you can offer your help.

Nope - he wouldn't need care. He'd need a bag - to be carried away in.

5. defend yourself

Try to kill me? I don't shoot hundreds of rounds to shoot at someone. I shoot all those rounds to properly defend myself against unavoidable danger to myself and my family. If someone breaks into my house with a gun and proceeds to attack anyone in my house I willexercise the castle doctrine in ohio and I will remove the threat. I will shoot to kill not disable. A fallen criminal can still fire a weapon why chance your childz life or your own? KILL SHOT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkahrig View Post
    Try to kill me? I don't shoot hundreds of rounds to shoot at someone. I shoot all those rounds to properly defend myself against unavoidable danger to myself and my family. If someone breaks into my house with a gun and proceeds to attack anyone in my house I willexercise the castle doctrine in ohio and I will remove the threat. I will shoot to kill not disable. A fallen criminal can still fire a weapon why chance your childz life or your own? KILL SHOT!!!!
    If someone breaks into my house , GUN or NO GUN in hand, they're a threat to me and my family and will have copious amounts of lead poisoning upon departure from this earth. Semi jacketed type with extreme prejudice. ONLY draw back in my mind is the clean up afterword.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I'm not saying I disagree with anything said here, but I will say that I hope none of anyone's potential prosecuting attorneys read this thread, 'cause there are some seriously damaging statements here.

Great question, a question that I have asked myself many times as I am stuck in the middle. I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and martial artist, that also carries off duty. I have a duty to act, whether I am on duty or off duty. There are a few points that are in my mind. #1 If you try to hurt my family or me I will protect them and me at all costs. #2 It would be nice to say I would render medical attention, BUT...I don't carry around my trauma supplies, or my personal protection equipment (gloves, tyvex sleeves, eye and face protection, BVM, decompression needles, IV fluids, trauma dressing, tourniquets, ect.) when I am off duty, so there is not much I could do except call 911. #3 I don't think I would be in the right frame of mind to "help" someone that just tried to hurt my family or me. I have many other thoughts, these are just a few.

Just curious, why do you have a duty to act when you are off duty? Personal duty or legal duty? I'm also a paramedic, but have no feeling of obligation to help anyone off duty (not that I won't, but that's a personal decision, not a legal decision)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Just curious, why do you have a duty to act when you are off duty? Personal duty or legal duty? I'm also a paramedic, but have no feeling of obligation to help anyone off duty (not that I won't, but that's a personal decision, not a legal decision)
    People who are classically trained in the martial arts are taught to never instigate violence, and to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMac View Post
    I don't know about Ohio, but in many / most states even a "good shoot" (no criminal liability) will virtually always be followed by a civil complaint by the survivor or the estate of the perp.
    In Ohio, if it's ruled a good shoot, the aggressor CANNOT collect a PENNY, and that's BY LAW.

Try to find a lawyer who'll take your frivolous lawsuit on a contingent basis, KNOWING he's NEVER going to get paid.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast