You Knew The Conditions Of Employment When You Took The Job - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: You Knew The Conditions Of Employment When You Took The Job

1. Sorry I didn't mean it to be off topic but to answer your question, no I dont think it's unethical. I think that the difficulty is deciding priorities. I carried at work today and I know it's against our policy and if they find out and fire me that's life but my personal protection is more important to me.

I work for one of those companies and it caused a ruckus when it was learned that I carried on a trip. The trip was considered company business. (During the trip, at sales calls, during the hotel stay and dinner. PERIOD.) I had a little different take on it, but I don't sign my paycheck, they do. I have two choices, if I am an ethical person, AND I AM. I can decide not to carry on a trip or quit. On the premisis or building is out of the question per the company manual. I knew that when I read it. It is their nickel, I'm just along for the ride.
    I have a couple of lady reps who work for me. The only advice I can give them is that if they in anyway feel uncomfortable, hit the gas and get the heck out of there. Don't even get out of the car. We will send some one else to take a look. That is a poor option, but the only one I have available at the time.

At this point, we all need good paying jobs. However, someday we may be in a better position to reconsider or choices. Even with the rules, the grass is pretty darn good on this side of the fence. I have been on the other side and thats not alfalfa.

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by cartisdm View Post
    I'm sure we're all aware of the current economical situation going on right now. Not everyone has the option to be picky about the job they take. And let's be honest, how many companies actually allow concealed carry? Is it ethical to disobey company regulations? No, I don't think so. Would I do it anyway? It depends entirely on the job.

If I was a pizza delivery man? Sure, I'd still carry. At my current job where I work in an office and working toward a lifelong career in system development? Hell no. I would stand a greater risk at hurting my family by losing my job than needing my firearm. Thankfully, NC will begin allowing me to keep my gun in my car during work on Dec. 1st
    I heard that section was partially removed from the bill, might want to double-check.

Many replies indicate that "my life is more important than my job". That is understandable and obvious. As I said in a previous reply, what happens if you are in violation of your employment agreement and understanding with your employer and you shoot and kill someone, while employed? Yes--your life is still the most important thing but you now face financial ruin from civil suits, unless the killing somehow falls under the "immunity" clause of many CC laws, where a justified shooting grants you immunity. In this thread's scenario though, you have "callously and recklessly" ignored your employment (as would be stated by a civil attorney for the employer and the perp's family). The real answer to "my life is more important than my job" is NOT TO TAKE THE JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE. You can make this same argument about entering a place of business where CC is not allowed or is illegal by state statute---the defense of your actions are clearly less clear and tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Many replies indicate that "my life is more important than my job". That is understandable and obvious. As I said in a previous reply, what happens if you are in violation of your employment agreement and understanding with your employer and you shoot and kill someone, while employed? Yes--your life is still the most important thing but you now face financial ruin from civil suits, unless the killing somehow falls under the "immunity" clause of many CC laws, where a justified shooting grants you immunity. In this thread's scenario though, you have "callously and recklessly" ignored your employment (as would be stated by a civil attorney for the employer and the perp's family). The real answer to "my life is more important than my job" is NOT TO TAKE THE JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE. You can make this same argument about entering a place of business where CC is not allowed or is illegal by state statute---the defense of your actions are clearly less clear and tolerable.

What about someone that woke up AFTER they were already employed? (woke up and got armed/CCW)

BTW, the argument that the "employer" could be held responsible doesnt hold water if the company policy is that you cannot be armed.... ANY lawyer could beat that argument in court...... The company forbid it, so the employee was NOT following company policy....

The earlier poster who mentioned about changing the laws so employers would NOT be held responsible for a CCW's actions has a good point..

The financial ruin could happen in nearly ANY case of self-defense, whether you were at work or not when it happened, so is a moot point in this thread.

7. My only problem is often the company policies have become so cookie cutter that essentially there are very few if any jobs that don't have a clause about guns. Even worse is that I think that this standard came not from the companies themselves but quite possibly from liability/insurance type reasons so that they wouldn't get sued or have to pay more in insurance. Now if we passed a law that said that companies had no say in that specific matter then that would also benefit them because they could no longer be held liable because they don't have the company doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Choices, we all have choices. Some good, some not so good. I do what I have to do to ensure my safety. Be it at home, on the road or at work. I can't plan for every scenario, but I can plan for my overall security in any place I put myself into.
    Not trying to be ambiguous, just stating that I have the responsibility of my safe being, ultimately. Not my employer, sheriff or any other Gov't/Private entity. If my perception is that it's not right/safe. Probably will not go there. Self preservation and of my Families is paramount. All else takes a back seat.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

My and my familys protection is my concern, since no other entity assumes my or my families protection, I will protect it by whatever means is available. Recently a company wanted me to enter private property to appraise it for foreclosure, they wanted me to enter and knock on door, Texas is a private property state, I ask for a copy of their liability insurance with proof I would be covered, they stated they do not cover me and I stated I would not be entering the property. Appraised dwelling from street. Every day is full of what if's, my what if only applies when and if it is necessary to defend myself or my family and all the other what if's are just what if's.

Hey Axe45: In this country anyone can sue anyone for anything. If you do not think the "deep pocket" employer is going to be in court, you are not being realistic. Whether the employer will ultimately be held harmeless is not a done deal, IMO, given what our judicial system has turned into and does not change the fact that the employee is now out of work and out of any kind of positive reference for other jobs. As far as "waking up" to his employment and CC a firearm, to each his own---if this is so critical to someone and they strongly feel that they will be in danger w/o their firearm, they should follow their instincts and get another job. I assume that if they can ignore their job responsibility because they feel they are in danger, they would also choose to ignore other limitations on CC, which causes me some concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    What about someone that woke up AFTER they were already employed? (woke up and got armed/CCW)
    That wasn't the conditions for this question you knew during your orientation that C wasn't allowed on company time and you decided to ignore that.

Changing your beliefs after being hired is a whole different (and legitimate) question
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast