Why I "worry" about safety.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I "worry" about safety.

Why I "worry" about safety.

One of my fellow State Citizens (I won't go into details out of respect for his family) managed to kill himself recently.

While showing his friends his new .22 cal pistol and demonstrating the safety, he showed how the gun would not fire with the safety on. He then showed them how the slide worked, racked one into the tube, pointed the gun at his head and pulled the trigger, demonstrating the safety feature again.

Only one slight error, he forgot to reenguage the safety when he racked the weapon.

Now, I'm not going to even begin to discuss the MANY safety issues this character violated. (I DO have other things to do today.) I will, however, express my condolances for his survivors.

I will not express much in the way of sympathy for the victim. I generally don't have much for self inflicted wounds. At least he didn't kill any bystanders. (Considering that they didn't protest his actions leading up to the "grand finale", you have to wonder about their average IQs, too.)

SAFETY FIRST! Always and habitual!

This incident only serves to reinforce a little hypothesis that I have held true for some time: Just about the time one believes that he has seen or heard the ultimate act of stupidity....... DAMNED if another idiot proves your conclusion wrong!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

3. I totally agree. We must always be thinking safety. It's hard to believe anyone can be this stupid and careless.
    An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!

4. GG, Thanks for the input. Sorry to hear. Under no circumstance do you break the golden rules. This gentlemen got careless. It reinforces the fact you never point at something unless you intend to destroy.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

EVERY gun is ALWAYS loaded ALL the time. Repeated to me ad infinitum since I was about four years old.

condolences

I am very sorry to hear that. This example is a terrible one but does provide the insight into why people DO NOT demonstrate or play with handguns. I am a married man with no kids and still keep every gun locked up in one of the two safes I own, including the ammo. The only time a gun is out of it is when I am cleaning it or using it for a CC gun. Once again, I am sorry to hear about your friend and appreciate your story. Maybe it will serve some people well and remind us all that guns are not toys. Thank you.

7. Firearms are NOT forgiving at all when it comes to 'lapses in judgement'.

The basic rules of firearms safety (ie., not pointing a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, treating all guns like they are loaded, not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, visually verify your target and know what's behind it, ...) are called 'basic' for a reason. If you follow them, it's kind of hard to screw up enough to do serious harm.

Add my condolences to his family. Any loss is hard to deal with but avoidable ones like this one are even harder to bear.

He forgot about the primary safety, which is your trigger finger, and you never engage it unless you are ready to kill something or someone.

+1 on every gun is always loaded and primary safety is your trigger finger. Don't ever, ever, ever point a gun at something you don't want to shoot.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

This is very unfortunate for everyone involved.I just can't imagine what would cause someone to put a gun to thier head. Even with only basic Safety Training this should be common sense. This is just what the Anti Gunners need.more Ammo agaisnt us. Poeple like this guy just adds more fuel to the fire on stronger gun laws.I wish his family well. I also will say a pray for his way ward soul.

I am sorry for the family he left behind...OTOH, one more bullet for the Bradys.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast