Dry Fire harmful? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Fire harmful?

Check your owners manual or call the manufacturer before dry-fire practice. Snap caps are also very good once you know you can dry-fire on your particular model.
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

3. As previously stated, for the most part dry firing will not damage center fire weapons. The firing pin impacts nothing and most firearms are designed to take the internal shock of dryfiring. That said, Snap Caps are still a very good investment.

They will protect your firearm while dry firing as the silicone "primer" absorbs the impact of the firing pin reduces the impulse of dry firing and protects the internals as well.

They allow you to practice clearing jams, misfires, stovepipes and double feeds.

On the range snap caps can be mixed with live ammo to reveal flinches and recoil anticipation.

For the money they are a very worthwhile tool.
    "Get this through your head! We're not fighting to have everybody think the way we do, we're fighting so that people can think whatever they want! Even if they don't agree with us!"--Stalker, GI JOE #39

Dry firing may damage rim fire weapons over time (like .22's) but not center fire weapons.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

Why risk it? Snap Caps are cheap and available.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I've dry fired my Glock 22 quite extensively without problems. I have not noticed any damage or excessive wear. I must be lucky because I wasn't wearing my CCW badge either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12