38 Special +P

Thread: 38 Special +P

38 Special +P

Generally will a 357 mag revolver handle a 38 Special +P round with no problems?

Im letting my father borrow my old S&W Highway Patrolman 357 Mag and gave him some 38 Special +P ammo to go with it, and wanted to make sure that there would be no problems if he needs to use it.

Common sense says that there would be no problem, but its for my folks safety so I want to make sure.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    -Austin

It will work fine!

Thanks for the timely response, it is appreciated.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    It will work fine!
    +1 No problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

No problem at all!
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

As stated, .38+P is fine. .357 has much higher pressures than does .38+P.... So it is actually LESS stressful on the firearm.

Just check for ridges of wear after. When shooting rounds slightly smaller (like 22 short in a 22 long) you CAN get ridges. Note: just cause you can doesn't mean you will. This will cause ejection issues if you shoot the full size shell in it. This is because the case expands into the ridge.

Those ridges appear only after LONG USE. No problem with just few shots. You won't have a problem with rings in the chamber.

10. Just an extra little tip on the .38spl +P's. Watch them carefully as a double charge can do very bad things given the air-gap that must be "jumped" by the .38spl round compared to the .357Mag round. If you see any odd wear toward the end of the cylinder chambers, discontinue using those 38spl+P rounds.

I don't know if they make it in 38spl, but I found some Fiocchi .357 Magnum rounds that were conical rounds rather than round nosed or truncated nose. They were kick-butt rounds for target shooting out to 25 yards with my Dan Wesson.

11. Quote Originally Posted by nraynes View Post
    Just check for ridges of wear after. When shooting rounds slightly smaller (like 22 short in a 22 long) you CAN get ridges. Note: just cause you can doesn't mean you will. This will cause ejection issues if you shoot the full size shell in it. This is because the case expands into the ridge.
    The "ridges" are just carbon build up from firing the shorter round. It is easily cleaned out of the chambers.

If all pops shoots are .38's it will never be a problem. If he wants to move up to full magnum loads, a .38 bore brush (preferably stainless) will do the job just fine.
    Μολών Λαβέ

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.