Giving a pistol as a gift - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving a pistol as a gift

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    absolutely positively incorrect and false information. <I tried all CAPS letters but the forum won't allow it. Phillip - go to a gun shop and read the instructions on the form 4473 and come back and tell us what you learn.

Actually, Phillip, let's just put it up here so others can see too:

Now... for the gift to remain legal, without being transferred through an FFL, both the father and son must be residents of the same state. But that has nothing to do with "straw purchasing".
    All right. I stand corrected. As a matter of discussion, I live in Massachusetts and was looking into ways to purchase a shotgun for my daughter (who lives in Georgia). The erroneous information came from a gun dealer in Georgia, who sort of freaked out and started going on about "straw purchasing" when I called him to get information about that kind of transaction.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

3. Well, I think it'll be the MKII, which I have owned for over thirty years, thus eliminating any "straw purchase" arguments, although I am familiar with that question on the form. I'll be flying out there soon, and it will be a face to face gift.

My daughter controls the budget, and she knows how to stretch a nickle. When she figures out that they can shoot almost twice on that nickle with a .22, versus spending six of 'em to get a bang out of the Bersa, she'll be on the side of the Ruger, for sure. Practice is what it's all about, and the more bangs for the buck will make them both better shooters. Although my usual carry gun is a .44 Bulldog, I may decide to carry the Bersa when I go, just in case I decide to toss it in, too..

4. Quote Originally Posted by tommypotatoes View Post
    Well, I think it'll be the MKII, which I have owned for over thirty years, thus eliminating any "straw purchase" arguments, although I am familiar with that question on the form. I'll be flying out there soon, and it will be a face to face gift.
    So, you and your daughter are residents of the same state? Otherwise the face to face gift would be illegal (and that has nothing to do with straw purchase).
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The MKII is a good choice (I've had one for many years). Another alternative that I gifted my daughter a couple of weeks ago is the Sig Mosquito. I've been breaking it in for her and it has been a blast (no problems at all). The ergos are like the bigger Sigs and will allow her to carry that she learns to larger Sigs when she is ready.

6. Thumbs up as much as I would appreciate the gift, I might want to pick my own model and caliber

There are good arguments all around. A weapon is a personal item which needs to fill the users needs. From what I read, you are not in close proximity to your recipient. If possible, I would take the person to a place where they might try several weapons and let them decide which one they want to own. I'll stay out of the straw purchase argument. I think making the choice together would be a great bonding experience and if he is present to receive the weapon from the dealer with a background check potential issues resolve themselves.

Receiving a firearm that needs to be returned might create additional issues. Perhaps daughter and husband might consider attending the safety course before your visit. Some things are best learned before a firearm gift is received.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, you and your daughter are residents of the same state? Otherwise the face to face gift would be illegal (and that has nothing to do with straw purchase).
    +1000!

If you're going out of State (OOS), you MUST go through a current FFL holder and have it transferred. Otherwise it could be construed as an attempt at firearms trafficking, which is clearly acceptible for the BATFE to do just not you and I.

The only way around that type of OOS issue is if you passed away and the firearm were inherited. In-State shouldn't be a problem...unless your State has rules governing private sales.

BTW, that Ruger MKII will be a nice gift. If you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll put say 1000 rounds through it to make sure it shoots true. I'll even send it back dirty so you can verify I did actually shoot it.

8. Huh? Where would I find the statute that prohibits gifting without an FFL transfer?

9. Quote Originally Posted by tommypotatoes View Post
    Huh? Where would I find the statute that prohibits gifting without an FFL transfer?
    18 USC 922 (a)(3) & (a)(5) prohibits tesidents of differing states from transferring firearms between themselves without going through an FFL.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...2----000-.html
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Bersa Thunder 9 UC its bigger than the .380 but is way more reliable and 9mm is cheaper to shoot. I own the 380 the 9 and the 45 in the Bersa and love them all but the 9 is the one I trust my life to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12