NC expands Castle Doctrine, make other "gun friendly" changes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC expands Castle Doctrine, make other "gun friendly" changes.

NC expands Castle Doctrine, make other "gun friendly" changes.

Gun rights group: Castle Doctrine 'not a make my day law' :: WRAL.com

"Effective Dec. 1, gun owners will have less guesswork. The update to the law flips the burden of proof from the homeowner to prosecutors. If someone unlawfully crosses a homeowner’s threshold, whether there's a weapon in the intruder’s hands or not, it's automatically presumed that the person is a violent intruder."

One interesting provision is that the time frame allowed for issuing permits has been reduced from 90 days to 45 days.

45 days! When the clock runs out and the permit hasn't been issued, will the applicant will have to reapply and repay the fees like it was under the 90 day limit, or has NC just invented a new source of revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    45 days! When the clock runs out and the permit hasn't been issued, will the applicant will have to reapply and repay the fees like it was under the 90 day limit, or has NC just invented a new source of revenue?
    No it's not another revenue generator 'TooCalm', most County Sheriff's issue during a 45 day period anyway,(I recieved mine in 15 days in Granville County!). This simply forces the 'knuckle-draggers' to work a little harder!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    This simply forces the 'knuckle-draggers' to work a little harder!
    That's correct. Under the new law, the sherriffs department is required to complete the permitting process within 45 days. They don't have the option of "letting the clock run out."

We elected a new sherriff in my county (Wilson) and to my surprise, my renewal only took 25 days. Previously, they were running right at 90 days.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post

"Effective Dec. 1, gun owners will have less guesswork. The update to the law flips the burden of proof from the homeowner to prosecutors. If someone unlawfully crosses a homeowner’s threshold, whether there's a weapon in the intruder’s hands or not, it's automatically presumed that the person is a violent intruder."
    NC scores a win for the people. The ability to protect one's home and family is sacred.

Even liberal NY allows you to exercise deadly physical force to thwart attempted burglary. NYS Penal Law S35.20(3). Once the bug enters your home he's got trouble.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I particularly liked the part about indemnity from civil suits in "righteous shoots". Always thought those were a tavestry of justice anyway. Too many freekin' Lawyers.... ALL trying desperately to find something to do.

See the discussion in the NC specific forum.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Over 4 years ago in Catawba County under sheriff David Huffman my permit was held up. No one from the sheriffs department bothered to notify me that there was a problem. I only found out about it after I stopped in and checked on it. Buy the time the problem was rectified the time limit expired and I was told that I would have to repay, reapply, and wait for the system to reprocess my application. My skepticism is fueled by personal experience.

That should not have happened. Even under the 90-day rule, sherriff's departments had a mandate to process applications and either issue or deny a permit within 90 days. And NC is of course, a "shall issue" state, so unless there were background issues that would disqualify you, the sherriff is required to issue a permit.

The concensus opinion (from gun shops, instructors, and some LEOs) seems to be that if the local sherriff was sympathetic to concealed carry, they would process applications and issue permits in a timely manner. If they were not sympathetic to concealed carry, they would drag out the process to the 90 day limit.
    But regardless, they were (are) required to adhere to the 90 day time frame (45 days when the new law goes into effect

A fellow permitee cautioned me to apply for my renewal early (more than 90 days before expiration) because the local sherriff's department was taking the full 90 days, so if you didn't allow yourself some safety margin, you could (legitimately) get caught in a situation similar to yours. But as I said, we have a new sherriff, and my renewal was completed in 25 days.

I just read the full text of the new statute. I noticed that it includes a provision for NC to recognize permits issued by any state.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post

One interesting provision is that the time frame allowed for issuing permits has been reduced from 90 days to 45 days.
    How could you possibly "intrude" a place without being violent? Talk the door into opening? Sheesh, the things we have to worry about just trying to protect ourselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast