Why are some short barreled rifles legal and others not???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are some short barreled rifles legal and others not???

Why are some short barreled rifles legal and others not???

Okay so its completely legal to have an AR-15 classified as a pistol, but as soon as you put a stock on it now its classified as a rifle, and must have at least a 16" barrel? You're still running the same .223 round, and i'm not an expert, but I'm sure the muzzle velocity is still incredibly high despite the 10" barrel. Still just as deadly, but set up one way can land you in prison for 5 years as a "destructive device"? The same applies for shotguns correct? I'm just wondering if these were silly laws created or if gun makers just found loopholes? I would like to see it become legal to have a stock put on your short barreled AK's, and AR's. Maybe in some states its okay but to my knowledge its still illegal in Minnesota.

Kind of goes along with a 10 round mag is ok but any more and you will be inclined to go out and shoot up the neighbor hood. If you have anything lighter than a 10 pound trigger you can't control you weapon and unintended discharges will happen more often. Anti gun crowd has to have some control to keep them happy
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher42223 View Post
    Okay so its completely legal to have an AR-15 classified as a pistol, but as soon as you put a stock on it now its classified as a rifle, and must have at least a 16" barrel? You're still running the same .223 round, and i'm not an expert, but I'm sure the muzzle velocity is still incredibly high despite the 10" barrel. Still just as deadly, but set up one way can land you in prison for 5 years as a "destructive device"? The same applies for shotguns correct? I'm just wondering if these were silly laws created or if gun makers just found loopholes? I would like to see it become legal to have a stock put on your short barreled AK's, and AR's. Maybe in some states its okay but to my knowledge its still illegal in Minnesota.
    You have voiced a lucid and germane question about legitimate issues behind gun laws in the US. However I would recommend you cease looking for logic in legislation, down that road lies madness.
    "Get this through your head! We're not fighting to have everybody think the way we do, we're fighting so that people can think whatever they want! Even if they don't agree with us!"--Stalker, GI JOE #39

^ What he said. Plus, honestly, those type of modifications look scary to people. With no knowledge of firearms, an unmodified wood stock 10/22 appears tame next to a tricked-out black composite AR-15. The actual difference? Negligible.

It's ALL in the appearances! (LOL!) Logic has nothing to do with it. PARTICULARLY as it pertains to Legislation.

How does the old dodge go? A camel is a horse design passed through the legislative process.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

It is just like if you add a forward grip to a pistol, that alone makes it a Short Barreled Rifle in the eyes of the ATF and illegal.

Here is an article talking about forward grips on a pistol.

Legality: Vertical Fore Grip on a Handgun - Firearms, Self Defense, Preparation & Survival - moFirearms
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

This all stems from the original GCA. They attempted to ban handguns( by FDR's AG), and anything of the like. The handgun ban went nowhere, but all the other parts got left in.

This attached a criminal stigma to legitimate weapons. The stigma will remain and frustrate attempts to rid ourselves of this statutory stupidity.

-Doc

Just buy one, put a stock on it and don't tell anybody. It'll be your SHTF gun... if that happens, gun laws won't matter.

Disclaimer: This is not the smartest thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    This all stems from the original GCA. They attempted to ban handguns( by FDR's AG), and anything of the like. The handgun ban went nowhere, but all the other parts got left in.

This attached a criminal stigma to legitimate weapons. The stigma will remain and frustrate attempts to rid ourselves of this statutory stupidity.

-Doc
    Actually it is the NFA of 1934.

law

As best as I remember...

A pistol is defined as a non-sholder-fired weapon having one vertical grip.
    Attaching another vertical grip moves the weapon to AOW(Any Other Weapon). A $5.00 stamp if in a state that allows it

A rifle is defined as sholder-fired, rifiled, having a minimum barrell length of 16in.
    Less than that and it is an SBR(Short Barralled Rifle). A $200 stamp where legal.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast