Remington 700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700

Remington 700

I recently watch a show on CNBC that was aired in 2010 on a surprising and very dangerous design flaw of the Remington 700 rifle. I guess the basic concept was that the trigger and safety mechanism had a flaw allowing the gun to fire while disengaging the safety to unload the weapon, movement from the bolt, or just random movement of the gun itself. I am under the assumption that this is related to early models. This is very unsettling to me since I own one. I personally have not had any issues with this but has anyone else? And what are your thoughts on this issue?

thoughts

Its a hunting rifle... If you are worried about it...

Walk with an empty chamber.
    Once setup... Load up.
    If ready to move again... Unload!

Other than that... Even if a flaw exists, who is going to bang the gun around hard enough in a stand or a blind. It would make too much noise...

Don

4. There is an excellent response to the CNBC story available on the Remington website. As always, get as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision.

I have an old 700 probably, 30+ years old. I use this rifle exclusively to hunt and for my long range target practice (200+ yds). I have never had this rifle AD. Don't do mess with the stuff you dont know about like adjusting the trigger and you'll be fine.

Remington 700

Quote Originally Posted by peepsnet View Post
    Its a hunting rifle... If you are worried about it...

Walk with an empty chamber.
    Once setup... Load up.
    If ready to move again... Unload!

Other than that... Even if a flaw exists, who is going to bang the gun around hard enough in a stand or a blind. It would make too much noise...

Don
    As a gun collector, I know how to safely handle a weapon. My question was not related to that, it was if anyone has had any issues with the flaw. When I buy something, I want it work as advertised. If I am unloading a weapon in the field, I dont want a misfire because I moved the bolt handle. That's not safe no matter how experience you are. I'm sure this answer is not sufficient for the family who lost their young child do to this flaw.

Remington 700

Quote Originally Posted by adialberto View Post
    There is an excellent response to the CNBC story available on the Remington website. As always, get as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision.
    It's not a matter of getting facts. I do feel extremely comfortable with my role since I have hunted with it multiple time without incident. I was simply inquiring of anyone has had any issues with theirs. I know the media can over-exaggerate things and used untrue or swayed info but It still makes me wonder. Thanks for the info though. I'll check it out.

I have shot and do curently shoot the 700 and the 710. I have had a 700 AD, I also found that the owner of the rifle had adjusted the trigger and safety. It was not the rifle but what was done to the rifle.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ocergryan331 View Post
    As a gun collector, I know how to safely handle a weapon. My question was not related to that, it was if anyone has had any issues with the flaw. When I buy something, I want it work as advertised. If I am unloading a weapon in the field, I dont want a misfire because I moved the bolt handle. That's not safe no matter how experience you are. I'm sure this answer is not sufficient for the family who lost their young child do to this flaw.
    Although the 700 MIGHT have an issue, that family lost their child due to unsafe gun handling. Honestly, who in the &#@% points a gun at their child while unloading it?

Point it in the ground. Point it in the air. Point it at a tree. Point it at your vehicle. DO NOT POINT IT AT A HUMAN BEING!!!

CNBC (Can Never Be Correct) as usual never correct as this same story came out about 15 years ago and Remington back then showed them they were wrong. I have several Remingtons rifles and never once had a safety issue.
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

Remington 700 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia << has link to rebuttal
    also so far NO one has YET to produce a single 700 that has this "malfunction" that has not had someone that has modified the trigger in some way.....so in other words it doesn't malfunction unless someone who doesn't know what they are doing attempt to "adjust" the trigger.....

also even by their own admissions CNBC claims that around 2000 rifles are affected.....in all honesty compared to the MILLIONS made and sold even "IF" this flaw is true it would be well within accepted tolerances......tho its NOT true....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast