22 month old dies after shooting self in face
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 month old dies after shooting self in face

22 month old dies after shooting self in face

I happen to own the exact same revolver shown in the video on the Communist News Network (CNN). It is a Taurus M85. Unless it was cocked I don't see how the toddler could have pulled the trigger. My 8 year old can't even shoot it DA. I feel for the loss of a child as I have 4 (number 5 is on the way).

OCOEE, Fla. -- Monday, Ocoee police detectives said they may decide whether someone should be charged in the death of a 22-month-old boy. The toddler found a gun in his home early Sunday morning and shot himself in the face.

On top of losing his son, the boy's father may face charges if police determine the .38 caliber gun was not properly secured. Residents of the quiet Admiral Point subdivision said they can't believe something like this could happen.

It was a tragedy police in Ocoee said could have been avoided. A 22-month-old boy found his father's revolver and then shot himself in the face.

"I saw 10 police cars and four ambulances and I had just seen the residents of the home talking to police and everything," said Jarvis Wheeler, a neighbor.

The accident happened early Sunday morning. Devastated family members carried the wounded toddler desperately hoping someone would do something to save his life.

"The fire department and EMT's responded and attempted to revive the child. The child was dead on the scene," said Bill Richardson of the Ocoee Police Department.

The baby's mother wasn't home at the time of the shooting. Detectives questioned the baby's father to try to figure out how the toddler managed to get a hold of the .38 caliber handgun and why the safety lock hadn't been installed.

"The family has advised us it was an accident. The child retrieved the gun while everyone was sleeping," Richardson added.

Ocoee police said there was a strong possibility that the medical examiner's report could be released Monday afternoon.
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

This is a terrible tragedy and one that could, should have been prevented. The pain that the family will be going thru is more than most of us can even imagine. It is also more fodder for the anti second amendment crowd.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

What an awful thing to have to live with as a parent. Please use common sense and put/lock the loaded weapons away where the little ones can't get to them. Lots of household dangers for a child this age, but this one is inexcusable for anyone adult enough to have firearms in the home. Would be a horrible thing to know your child was injured/killed by something so easily prevented. Sad.

This is GROSS NEGLIGENCE if it was in fact an accident. There is NO EXCUSE for the child getting his hands on the father's loaded firearm. In the spirit of the 2A community "policing their own", I feel that this guy should get charged and spend some time in jail. It's no different from him driving down the road without strapping the baby into a safety seat.

Accidents happen, negligence is a result of carelessness. I understand that the family is grieving and suffering from the loss. By punishing the father, it will send a message to ALL gun owners that they should practice proper storage of firearms or suffer the same consequences.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

very sad.. and sounds like some very irresponsable people who had a loaded gun where a 22 month old baby could get to it.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

A little common sense would have been all it took to keep this tragic event from ever happening. Sadly there are a lot of people lacking this virtue.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Police Not Convinced Toddler Shot Self

From Communist News Network (CNN)

OCOEE, Fla. -- Ocoee police said on Monday that they're not convinced a toddler who died in a shooting over the weekend pulled the trigger.

Investigators said they're awaiting autopsy results before deciding if any charges should be filed against the child's father, who owned the gun involved.

The autopsy results should show if Tyler Rodgers, 22 months, had gunpowder residue on his hands that would be consistent with firing a weapon.

the toddler and his father lived. Investigators said the father moved the weapon from where the shooting happened, and he gave it to authorities at the scene of the incident.

"The officers that are investigating are trying to figure out where the weapon was and when the child was able to make access to it," William Richardson of the Ocoee Police Department said during a news conference.

Officials said it should serve as a reminder of how important it is to make sure guns are locked and stored away from children.

"(It's) devastating. You know, I feel really bad for those people," neighbor Karen Martez said.

Martez is the mother of two young children, and she said her heart aches for the family whose toddler died.

"I'm shocked that something that tragic happened anywhere, but so close by," Martez said.

The family's pastor said the family is hurting and asked for privacy.

"You all will know in due time. You'll get the police report," the child's great grandmother said of the incident.

Police said the child's family has been cooperative, but the owner of the gun could face criminal charges for not locking up the weapon. They plan to interview the gun owner again --whose name they are not releasing.

"We always have the fact that there should not have been a weapon accessible to a child, so that's always being looked at. That's always pending," Richardson said.

Ocoee police are not saying if the owner of the gun had the gun legally.

To prevent accidents, Ocoee police provide free gun locks.

Some people are having a hard time believing a toddler could fire a .38 special dual-action revolver on its own.

Sharon and Bob Greenwood of Ocoee own the same type of revolver and Sharon said she has fired it.

"Without sounding accusatory. I don't mean that at all. What I'm saying is it just doesn't make sense," she said.

Ocoee police said they've submitted the gun for testing to see if it was operating properly.

"We want to make sure it was an accident. For the child's sake, we want to make sure everything is clean and proper," Richardson said.

The Greenwoods said it would have been easier for a child to fire the weapon if it were left loaded and cocked, but they said they can't imagine someone doing that knowing a child might be able to get to it.

"There's no way we would leave it loaded, nor would we ever leave it in reach of a child," Sharon said.
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

Something is very strange about this. I guess some people are stupid enough to leave a cocked revolver laying around, but that's the only way I think this could have happened as we are being told.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

That guy should be locked up. I'm thinking that he couldn't deal with the child and in a moment of rage, lost it and shot the child. If there were any signs of GSR on the child at the scene, it would be obvious. Imagine how a 22 month old would have to be holding the gun. Being that it was a revolver, there would probably be GSR on a large portion of his clothing.

After teaching a couple of NRA pistol classes over the weekend and doing some thinking about this incident, I think the father knows more than he's telling. Thinking back to my experiences with my 3 year old, I remember how he could get pretty fussy at 22 months. I never lost my cool and took it out on the boy, but I gotta admit that I had to put myself on a number of "time outs". :icon_wink:

In the end, I hope the guy gets the punishment that he deserves.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    In the end, I hope the guy gets the punishment that he deserves.
    gf
    I whole heartedly agree.
    Jim
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast