Oklahoma pharmacist sentenced to life - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma pharmacist sentenced to life

1. well doc...I guess somthing I had after reading the posts is this...carry enough fire power to get the job done in the first place....and yea.. Iagree with what was 50 years ago, but this isn't 50 years ago anymore, and that is why we are fighting for the rights we have to protect each of us today... which the 2nd A gave us anyway... We have had 4 home invasions in NC in the past week that I know of....and one attempted B&E. Homeowners won 3 times, lost once including her dog however she is still alive, and the last never made it in but if he did he would have one becuase she was not armed.

3. and just an FYI...a different judge handed down a sentence to the two men that recruited the teens and planned the robbery but didn't participate...... life plus 30 years, and life plus 45 years to them... Good for him !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Very bad decisions made him go from hero to zero rather quickly.

Starting off by lying to the police, inventing a phony war record, and telling a tale contrary to the recorded video sealed his fate.

-Doc
    When in doubt, don't talk to the police EVER without your attorney present.

Ultimately, he got a second gun and came back and shot the unmoving POS again.

He planted a fake bullet in the pharmacy at a later date. He stuck metal fragments in his skin to fake being shot.

While we can discuss the good of removing the POS from society, he still clearly broke the murder statute.

-Doc

The Pharmacist did the right thing by defending himself, but to come back and coupe de grace' 5 times definitely falls outside self defense doctrines, let alone common sense of using the appropriate self defense until the threat no longer exists. However; a life sentence seems to be far outside any common sense for sentencing guidelines given the fact that the bad guy was the catalyst for the event and would have probably used his own weapon if given the opportunity. Do I think the pharmacist should pay a price for his actions? Under these circumstances yes and it send a message to all - irresponsible use of a firearm will not be tolerated and will be prosecuted. Lesson learned here folks...be responsible, don't let anger take the place of common sense and defending oneself and others stops when the DB is down and is no longer capable of causing death or injury to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    He planted a fake bullet in the pharmacy at a later date. He stuck metal fragments in his skin to fake being shot.

-Doc
    I don't care what state you are in, that is Judicial Suicide. You cannot fake or alter evidence. Everyone here should learn that lesson.

8. Have to agree with G50 here, The article I read did not make all the facts apparent it seems.

Sentence fair

I use this example in my CFP classes and show the video. The first exchange was justified and heroic. The second time he approached was homicide. Getting a different gun after having walked past him three times and unloading it into a person that was incapacitated with a gun shot wound to the head (not to mention unarmed) is no longer self-defense. Watch the video and he appears calm and unhurried. After he kills the robber he returned the gun to the drawer and then called the police.

There was no threat when he fired the second gun, and his pace showed there was no immediacy of danger. The two elements that are needed for justified use if deadly force, at least by Utah law. A fleeing criminal poses no threat so any use of lethal force turns the criminal into a victim and the shooter into a criminal.

It would be hard enough knowing a life was taken justifiably, but to do so unnecessarily must be torture.

While I agree that the pharmacist went too far, it's not like he went back to work filling prescriptions, talking on the phone, etc. and then decided to plug the guy a few more times. I'm sure the adrenaline was still pumping through his veins at 100mph. Punish him for lying, tampering with a crime scene, etc., but murder?? No way.

Also, while I don't know all the details of the case, I did read where the BG was unconscious after initially being shot in the head. I'm wondering if the pharmacist didn't go back and shoot somebody who was already dead for all intents and purposes. I'm no forensics expert but I'm guessing that any head shot that's bad enough to render a person unconcious has got to be a pretty nasty wound. I doubt if a bullet that grazes somebody is going to knock them out.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

11. On August 11, 1999, Clinton commuted the sentences of 16 members of FALN, a violent Puerto Rican terrorist group that set off 120 bombs in the United States, mostly in New York City and Chicago. There were convictions for conspiracy to commit robbery, bomb-making, and sedition, as well as firearms and explosives violations.[3] The 16 were convicted of conspiracy and sedition and sentenced with terms ranging from 35 to 105 years in prison. Congress, however, recognizes that the FALN is responsible for "6 deaths and the permanent maiming of dozens of others, including law enforcement officials." Clinton offered clemency, on condition that the prisoners renounce violence seeing as none of the 16 had been convicted of harming anyone and they had already served 19 years in prison. This action was lobbied by ten Nobel Laureates, the Archbishop of Puerto Rico and the Cardinal of New York. [4] The commutation was opposed by U.S. Attorney's Office, the FBI, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons and criticized by many including former victims of FALN terrorist activities and the Fraternal Order of Police.[5] Hillary Clinton, then campaigning for her first term in the Senate, initially supported the commutation,[6] but later withdrew her support.[7]

Congress condemned this action by President Clinton, with votes of 95-2 in the Senate and 311-41 in the House.[8][9] The U.S. House Committee on Government Reform held an investigation on the matter, but the Justice Department prevented FBI officials from testifying.[10] President Clinton cited executive privilege for his refusal to turn over some documents to Congress related to his decision to offer clemency to members of the FALN terrorist group.

USDOJ: Office of the Pardon Attorney: Clemency Recipients

Where is the justice?? All he did was take out the trash. I would Pardon him in a heart beat.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast