Like I Said...... - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Like I Said......

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Actually "brandishing" requires that the weapon be waved about in a threatening manner. Otherwise how would you be able to carry one to your car, to the range, look at one in a store, etc....?

brandishing - definition of brandishing by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    While I'm sure that her actions weren't meant in a threatening way and she's not guilty of brandishing, 99% of accidental shootings start with somebody doing exactly what she did - improperly handling a firearm. She didn't accidentally point her pistol at somebody....she did it very purposefully as an innocent yet foolhardy demonstration. She may not have committed a crime but she still deserves a sharp rebuke such as she has gotten on this board. Next time she (and others) might think twice before doing something stupid with a firearm and save us some grief.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Actually "brandishing" requires that the weapon be waved about in a threatening manner. Otherwise how would you be able to carry one to your car, to the range, look at one in a store, etc....?

brandishing - definition of brandishing by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    I understand and agree with the definition of the term. However, consider this scenario. You are in a crowded restaurant and are sitting in a booth and you decide to show your girlfriend how your new laser sight works. You stand up so you can easily remove your concealed weapon on point the laser beam on her chest and laugh. I would be up and out of there calling 911 quicker than sewage running thru the White House.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

I think the sewage just collects and festers in the White House. We aint never gonna get that stink out of there
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:213170

While I'm sure that her actions weren't meant in a threatening way and she's not guilty of brandishing, 99% of accidental shootings start with somebody doing exactly what she did - improperly handling a firearm. She didn't accidentally point her pistol at somebody....she did it very purposefully as an innocent yet foolhardy demonstration. She may not have committed a crime but she still deserves a sharp rebuke such as she has gotten on this board. Next time she (and others) might think twice before doing something stupid with a firearm and save us some grief.
    Oh I wasnt defending her actions, no that was pretty stupid. My post was only to keep the definition of "brandishing" from becoming more than it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor:213181

I understand and agree with the definition of the term. However, consider this scenario. You are in a crowded restaurant and are sitting in a booth and you decide to show your girlfriend how your new laser sight works. You stand up so you can easily remove your concealed weapon on point the laser beam on her chest and laugh. I would be up and out of there calling 911 quicker than sewage running thru the White House.
    Well, I OC so my firearm is easily accessible from a seated position and I wouldnt point it at her chest, that would be brandishing.

7. I was not suggesting that you would by no means. Hypothetical. That is what the senator did. The laws need to apply them as well us peasants.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    The problem is: what are our accepted parameters of behavior: I find that, as a firm believer in the 2d Amendment and a CCW holder, that I am grouped in with the Aryan nation, KKK and "Anarchy is the only true Democracy" groups. The general consensus is that : if you carry a gun you are an up righteous Christian and American Patriot whereas if you don't, you are a Jew loving, Black loving, Latino loving, Communist Liberal.

I am an Independent Free Market Conservative, a Christian, a Veteran and have tolerance for all races and religions. I believe that some people won't arm because of their moral beliefs and some of us will arm because we are pragmatic and aware of our surroundings. Both groups are people and have good people in them. I am not part of the "Us and them" crowd.

Forget the moral part, it no longer has any influence to anything in our lives. Our "morals" are simply prejudices and bias today. But we do need to look at our responsibilities for safe carry and good judgment in the use of our weapons.

I am not "us" and I am not "them", I am "me" and I carry solely to protect me and mine.
    and that is the problem, Every man for him self. "Divided We Fall"
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    An idiot like her is the best help the "other team" could ask for. By not being afraid to criticize our own we show that we're serious about safety and responsibility. There's nothing worse (and less credible) than an "old boy network" that chooses to downplay and cover up such activity by pretending that it somehow fits into the normal parameters of acceptable behavior.
    Calling her an idiot is criticism? I think that is bashing. Not finding out both sides and not "criticizing" the reporter, I think, is wrong.

We all make mistakes.

We shouldn't down play it or cover it up, but we shouldn't add to the frenzy either.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Hmmmm soooooo she was not charged with agrivated assult??? WOW I want to be a senator!!!!

11. Ed, I am sorry but I must disagree with your willingess to give her a pass. You know as well as I and many others that we would not get a pass had we done what she did. It pisses me off that she did get a pass. You and I under the simular circumstances would be sitting in jail. I don't buy, this is what got us here in the first place!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast