Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest? - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest?

I am a thirty year active duty retired Marine. A large part of that career was spent in actual combat zones. As I get older and study history (real history, not media induced history!) I find less and less attraction to war. I realize now that I (and Soldiers and Marines today) fought to protect the guy next to me, not the country. I knew nothing of politics and didn't really care about "national interests" or ideologies. I fought because I cared about my Marine buddies and my mission was to keep them alive. Therin lies the source of the valor and courage of the Individual soldier/Marine.This should be and must be respected when regarding that Individual. As far as the people who send us to war, they have been padding their personal fortunes at the expense of young men/women with platitudes and slogans for a long time now. Everybody should read " War is a Racket" by MG Smedley D. Butler USMC, two time Medal of Honor winner. The book was written in 1935 but it still stands. Some players have changed but it is still the same "old gang". When you read his remarks about the Japanese and Germans, remember that the POTUS was then trying desperately to get us into the European conflict, for good reasons as well as bad. American bankers (many of then American Jews)were, at that time, bankrolling Adolf Hitler in rearming Germany. (Yes, he did rearm on USA and British funds, Germany had no money!) I will not digress into the argument at this point,read the book. MG Butler was a hero and a fighter not a bleeding heart Liberal. Book is available in paperback and Kindle at Amazon.

Description of MG Butler: War Is a Racket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher,Independent Voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Our companies also sold scrap metal to the Japanese right up to 12/7/41...
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

4. We have become a very selfish people, with an attitude of "I gotta get mine" "screw everybody else" "That doesn't affect me so none of my business". "I don't know you so screw you" " I only care about myself and my own family".

The fights that occurred on "black friday" over stuff in stores shows that we have become people that would value something like a big screen t.v. over the life/ well being of a stranger.

Criminials will always be around with these attitudes, yet this mindset has become the mainstream accepted way of thinking of the general public. Me & mine , screw everybody else.

Jesus of Nazareth taught to help everyone not only your family and those that love you, but help people that don't even know you.

This isn't directed at cc It applies in everyday life

Everytime I hear or see the word "sheepdog" I think of that Youtube guy, Nutnfancy.... Lol, he makes me laugh. I like some of his shooting videos but whenever he starts into his ideology "sheepdog" stuff, I click another video...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Everytime I hear or see the word "sheepdog" I think of that Youtube guy, Nutnfancy.... Lol, he makes me laugh. I like some of his shooting videos but whenever he starts into his ideology "sheepdog" stuff, I click another video...
    I actually work with a guy that just about worships the ground nut(they got the NUT part right)nfancy walks on.

I ran into him at the city clerks office one day and he went into a full on rant about how any permit holder that walks out of his home unarmed is failing to do his civic duty as a sheepdog and is no more than a cowardly leech sucking the blood of society.

This yutz actually think I'm going to go shooting with him some day
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I actually work with a guy that just about worships the ground nut(they got the NUT part right)nfancy walks on.

I ran into him at the city clerks office one day and he went into a full on rant about how any permit holder that walks out of his home unarmed is failing to do his civic duty as a sheepdog and is no more than a cowardly leech sucking the blood of society.

This yutz actually think I'm going to go shooting with him some day
    Wow... that's pretty harsh of an interpretaion of people who don't carry. I don't carry while on duty/base because... I can't. Does that make me a leeach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Wow... that's pretty harsh of an interpretaion of people who don't carry. I don't carry while on duty/base because... I can't. Does that make me a leeach?
    Of course not. Nutnfancy simply follows a code of ethics that he learned of while building a long and successful career in the military, where he followed the UCMJ exactly as you do as regards carrying. He never would've advised Treo's acquaintance to do otherwise.

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, another career military man, is widely accepted as the author, or maybe the best (and maybe first) "articulator" is a better word, of the code of ethics that nutnfancy talks about in a handful of his videos. I'm sure Grossman likewise followed the law of no carrying on base, but was a committed sheepdog regardless of his armed status when it comes to the choice of either standing by, or acting, as innocents are victimized. It seems an unworthy-of-ridicule code for living to me. If just one unarmed sheepdog had the mental preparedness to act when that guy got pushed onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train the other day, and was unable to extricate himself for more than a full minute, he might still be alive. That's all the sheepdog mentality is. Just act if/when you have the ability and opportunity to help someone from being unnecessarily harmed.

Nutnfancy has said many times on a number of issues deriving from non-gear-review videos he posts, that if you don't like the subject-matter, just click off the video. He would (and does) fully support you doing that Bob. But demeaning him for following, and once in awhile actively promoting, a code that seeks to protect those who are unable, for whatever reason, to protect themselves, seems a bit "out there" to me.

I fully sign onto everything BHG1978 said in his post, and condemn as selfish, cowardly, uncaring, "let-them-eat-cake," pacifistic crap everything I've ever read from the "anti sheepdog" on the topic.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

After reading the comments, I still do not understand how it is that owning or carrying a gun somehow makes me obligated to play superman. My obligations to my fellow human beings do not change simply because I own a firearm. Of course, it apparently does for many of you and no doubt some of you are folks who will claim to be defenseless if you don't have a gun. I never understood that mentality either.

I personally despise the sheepdog analogy. I do not carry a gun for the protection of the people around me.

There was an article (op-ed) today in the Springs Gazette about how C.U. needs CCW on campus (it does) and how by allowing it the board of regents would get a campus full of plain clothes volunteer security guards. I cringed when I read it, the last thing we need is for CHP holders to think that the card imputes some type of police powers.

If we make the analogy at all far do we take it? Would you "intervene" if someone w/out a handicapped sticker parked in a handicapped spot? Are we the new "Guardian Angles"? Who BTW have pretty much left Co Springs because they were universally despised.

There is (or was they may have disbanded) a group of citizens here in the Springs called the "C.B. Citizen's Patrol" they all wore black BDUs and OC'd and drove around south Co Springs all night on "the look out" for crime. They actually spent most of the evening patrolling the South Gate IHOP. You say "sheep dog" that's where my mind goes.

BTW generally when a sheep dog meets a coyote ( or a wolf for that matter) the sheep dog doesn't fare too well

You are fairly naive to believe that sheepdogs are there to magnanimously serve to protect sheep at all cost to their own lives. If you wish to equate yourself with actual sheepdogs then understand that they are not this romantic version being spewed here any more than men in general are quintessential chivalrous good samaritans.

First and foremost, a sheepdog works at the beck and call of a master who commands the sheepdog regularly, both rewarding and punishing the dog as needed.(Bad sheep dogs generally don't live to adulthood, they are killed by the sheppherd) Proclaiming you are a sheepdog is to proclaim that somebody else is telling you what to do everyday, day in and day out. The sheepdog lives to serve the master, not to protect the flock. Who is your master?

While a sheepdog serves to protect the sheep, that is just one aspect, the myth today of a Warner Brothers cartoon. Their job isn't so much about protection, but about control of the flock. They are there to dominate the flock in to behaving or moving in manners deemed by the master. The master is there to exploit the flock as s/he isn't magnanimous either. The sheepdog is there to make sure the master gets what he wants from the flock. So the sheepdogs see to it that the master can do whatever he wants to the sheep, be it shearing them or killing them.

How does the sheepdog tend to the master's needs with the flock? Is the sheepdog a nice guy who politely asks the flock to comply with the master's wishes. No. The sheepdog is the henchman that bullies the flock into compliance through intimidation and pain.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

some those organized 'sheepdog' are just like gangs busting folks and setting folks up even so they can confiscate the cars drugs money guns ..... to pay themselves reward themselves with their 'good work' just a smaller version of the larger mob squads with badges all to make money not only themselves but their bosses who take the larger percent... on up to the military the biggest gang on the planet again they don't fight for our freedom they fighting for their bosses and we not their boss........who controls them controls even infiltrate smaller groups of organized citizens and or creates them to further their agenda .........all roads lead to rome
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    some those organized 'sheepdog' are just like gangs busting folks and setting folks up even so they can confiscate the cars drugs money guns ..... to pay themselves reward themselves with their 'good work' just a smaller version of the larger mob squads with badges all to make money not only themselves but their bosses who take the larger percent... on up to the military the biggest gang on the planet again they don't fight for our freedom they fighting for their bosses and we not their boss........who controls them controls even infiltrate smaller groups of organized citizens and or creates them to further their agenda .........all roads lead to rome
    OK but since that's not what we're talking about here why don't you go somewhere else

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast