Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest? - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest?

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Recent studies have shown that the "hero" mentality is hardwired--either you have it or you don't. So the notion to watch over the sheep is largely controlled by forces outside of a person's influence.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the "hero mentality" I've done things in my life that were latter described as "heroism" I've even been decorated for valor by the Army. And I'm still not a sheep dog.

See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    To put it simply, for someone to proclaim that they are now a sheepdog because they have a gun makes me want to puke.
    Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by the "hero mentality" I've done things in my life that were latter described as "heroism" I've even been decorated for valor by the Army. And I'm still not a sheep dog.
    And you still don't need no stinkin badges!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I have no problems with the sheepdog analogy other than how so many people want to use it as an excuse for carrying a gun. Some feel that when they put a gun on their belt it gives them some kind on new power and responsibility. I have the same responsibility to help my fellow man with or without my gun. I have the same responsibilities to the general public as if I carry a knife or baseball bat. The only thing that changes when you get a CCW/CWP/CHP... is that now you will not be charged for carrying in certain places and in certain ways as you would before. You are not deputized and have no more rights or responsibilities than anyone else if you have a gun. If you want to claim that you are a sheepdog and act as one then by all means do it but that gun on your side doesn't make you one. There are thousands of people that have been much more of a sheepdog without a gun than you will ever be with one. To put it simply, for someone to proclaim that they are now a sheepdog because they have a gun makes me want to puke. If you can't be one without a gun you can't be with a gun. I don't know that the sheepdog analogy is a myth but it doesn't have a dang thing to do with guns.
    Absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

Basically, people either react to crises or freeze. The study I was talking about showed that by and large this isn't something you can control. It mentioned that with training, a person could learn to respond in an emergency situation where otherwise they might have frozen or retreated.

Like I said, I think the sheepdog metaphor started out sounding reasonable, but it's been picked to death, to the point where we're talking about different breeds of dog and how they might react to a variety of predators. I don't think the symbolism was ever meant to work on that level.

Do I consider myself a sheepdog? Probably not based on the common definition I see here. I have intervened in crisis situations because it's in my nature to seek solutions and be in control (somewhat). However, as 1910 said, it's got nothing to do with carrying a gun, and since I've started carrying, there have been no circumstances where I have found myself in the soup, so to speak.

I would like to think that CCers and OCers, as a like-minded community, would look out for one another, and for those who can't help themselves. I would like to think that if I found myself in a sticky situation, someone would take the time to help me. But it's not expected, and the reason I carry is because I know that I can ultimately only count on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
    Most Police do not want a civilian carrying a firearm, they feel they are the only ones who should have them. If you are attacked and are killed, that's just your hard luck.
    There are a few cops w/ that attitude mostly back east. Years ago I had a deputy sherrif tell me he hoped if he got into trouble that there would be an armed citizen there to back him up.

As a firefighter/EMT/ Fire Investigator for 18 years I never thought of myself in the sheepdog mentality. I had a job to do and I did it to the best of my ability, I realized I was there to protect my community which is why I joined in the first place. As far as CCW goes I carry to protect my family and if neccessary to protect others but family comes first.If you get into trouble and I can help I will but I wont go out of my way to look for trouble, it finds me on it's own easy enough.

Thinking that you have to depend on yourself and not someone or thing is what is neccessary to survive. problem in today's world is that too many have decided to trust the gov't to provide for them instead of taking care of themselves is what has led us to the gov't we have today that wants to control all aspects of our lives.

Talk about going into situations others run from, firefighters are the ones going INTO the burning building others are fleeing from. I fought the Dragon for 18 years before retiring I still have the mentality of attacking rather than retreating from a dangerous situation and sometimes fail to understand why others don't react the same way to me it's no big deal you just do it.

Darn! I wanted a nice big shiny badge to make me feel real special and to show the cop when I got pulled over so I could say"See I got one too!":)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast