Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest? - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest?

Quote Originally Posted by 2cond View Post
    Are there two groups of people that carry concealed ? I've yet to meet anyone who is out looking for trouble and itching to shoot someone ? I must know the right people.
    Or either hang around in the right places. I have known plenty of them and usually they find exactly what they are looking for,

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    sheep dogs...
    anyone who ever put on a uniform for the military, law enforcement, fire or EMS. Those are the true sheep dogs. Anything else is just so much keyboard commando rhetoric and possibly stolen valor.
    I served in the USAF for over 20 years...I am a sheep dog (retired).
    My oldest son is a Marine...he is a sheepdog in ways you will never know.
    My middle son is a fireman...more of a sheepdog than you can imagine.
    My youngest wants to join the Army and fly helicopters as soon as he graduates...(future sheepdog but has not earned the title yet).
    If you ever put on a uniform in service of your fellow man you are a sheepdog. If you have not you are only an armed individual...it is not up for discussion.
    I never bothered to read this thread until today AFTER the subject came up on my RSS feed to a B5 blog

so I read this entire thread and Festus said it best...... We got sheepdogs and we got posers

I to am a retired USMC sheepdog

So courtesy to Russ Vaughn

The Sheepdogs

Most humans truly are like sheep
    Wanting nothing more than peace to keep
    To graze, grow fat and raise their young,
    Sweet taste of clover on the tongue.
    Their lives serene upon Life’s farm,
    They sense no threat nor fear no harm.
    On verdant meadows, they forage free
    With naught to fear, with naught to flee.
    They pay their sheepdogs little heed
    For there is no threat; there is no need.

To the flock, sheepdog’s are mysteries,
    Roaming watchful round the peripheries.
    These fang-toothed creatures bark, they roar
    With the fetid reek of the carnivore,
    Too like the wolf of legends told,
    To be amongst our docile fold.
    Who needs sheepdogs? What good are they?
    They have no use, not in this day.
    Lock them away, out of our sight
    We have no need of their fierce might.

But sudden in their midst a beast
    Has come to kill, has come to feast
    The wolves attack; they give no warning
    Upon that calm September morning
    They slash and kill with frenzied glee
    Their passive helpless enemy
    Who had no clue the wolves were there
    Far roaming from their Eastern lair.
    Then from the carnage, from the rout,
    Comes the cry, “Turn the sheepdogs out!”

Thus is our nature but too our plight
    To keep our dogs on leashes tight
    And live a life of illusive bliss
    Hearing not the beast, his growl, his hiss.
    Until he has us by the throat,
    We pay no heed; we take no note.
    Not until he strikes us at our core
    Will we unleash the Dogs of War
    Only having felt the wolf pack’s wrath
    Do we loose the sheepdogs on its path.

And the wolves will learn what we’ve shown before;
    We love our sheep, we Dogs of War.

Russ Vaughn
    2d Bn, 327th Parachute Infantry Regiment
    101st Airborne Division
    Vietnam 65-66
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

4. "sheep dogs...anyone who ever put on a uniform for the military, law enforcement, fire or EMS. Those are the true sheep dogs. Anything else is just so much keyboard commando rhetoric and possibly stolen valor."

What nonsense! Not all the battles in this world are physical and if you think they are you need to pull your head out of the elitist sand and wake up!

In the broadest sense, a sheep dog protects the herd. So, what does our flock need protection from? I think it is a mistake to construe sheepdog as meaning only those with guns willing to protect others against physical assault, or only those within a structured organization such as the Police or Military, although they are indeed sheep dogs. I interpret it to mean those who stand up for what is right in society whether that is speaking out against injustice, or picking up a telephone to summon aid. What are we on this forum if not sheepdogs in the sense of drawing a line against the errosion of the 2nd ammendment? Its not always about physical agression. The sheep dog fights for the herd, and many, if not most battles are being fought with the spoken word and pen. Even if it did mean getting physically involved, how many of us are willing to just ignore a child being physically abused by another adult-even a parent? I have seen this! So what if "me and mine" are not directly invloved? does that make me a Sheep Dog? I think so; others wouild say it doesn't count unless I'm wearing the right Uniform. Does that make me a wanna-be or poser? No. It means there are certain things I know are just plain wrong and will not allow if I have the power to prevent it. It means that we all (hopefully all) draw a line somewhere against wrongs. We act as Sheep Dogs-or not-depending on which side of our own personal line we are at any given moment. Yes, I realize there are those out there (and I've known a few)who are merely using the excuse of "righting wrongs" to exert force and feel important. That in no way excuses the rest of us from acting responsibly. I believe in the concept of Civic Duty. The very reason our country is in the situation it is today is because too many of us have failed to do our civic duty. We have looked the other way when confronted with governmental abuses. We have failed to take personal responsibility for our own safety. We have failed to educate ourselves and our children about our rights and obligations; we've left that to the school systems. We have listened to judges and lawyers who have told us we "must" find someone guilty or innocent. We have submitted to authority without questioning whether that authority was true, correct, or even legal! We, as a nation of sheep, have given the "inch" that lead to the "mile" being lost. Then we all cry about how awful it is!

This is not meant to denigrate anyone on this forum per se. I relize we are all here in an effort to take personal responsibility for our own protection. That's a very good thing! I guess the point is that we need to broaden our thinking a bit. If we continue to see our duty as merely personal protection, or the protection of the herd as the sole province of the "official" Sheep Dogs, we may have already lost the war!

And yes, I've worn the uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It's somewhat ironic that Treo also posted the "sheepdog's prayer" on this forum as well.
    I made it crystal clear when I posted it that I thought it was crap
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

There used to be a certain validity to the terminology of sheep and sheepdogs when the concept was originally conceived, but like most everything else that has grabbed the public's attention, it has become so perverted that it has lost its effectiveness and become more of a pigeon-holed label for a bunch of wannabe's.
    Marv
    Ret. LEO
    'til next time, Switch
    "Next to creating life, the finest thing a man can do is to save one." - Abraham Lincoln

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Please don't eat the daisy's.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

+1 on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    And IIRC I also used that thread to make fun of CCW Badges, because the two subjects go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Don't ask don't tell. LOL
    That policy was phased out a few weeks ago.

Nope, never, because we have guys like this posting things for the whole of Idaho to read:

Police: Boise man accused of pulling gun during 'road rage' incident charged with aggravated assault | Treasure Valley Crime | Idaho Statesman

"Gnoter," about 30 comments from the most recent.

Yeah, like I said, I was all "Yay sheepdogs," until I met someone who thought he was one and didn't know even the basic safety rules of handling a firearm.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast