Ruger Mark III Warning - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Mark III Warning

I have a Mark III Hunter. This is one of the best looking guns out there. Love shooting .22's. No recoil to speak of.
    I don't shoot this accurate gun as much as I should or would like to. Why? Because of the many stove pipes. Clearing the gun and also removing the now damaged round that was trying to load. It has been happening less and less the more rounds I put through it. Less then 700 so far. When I asked some of the guys that work at the range they looked to see if it was clean. Pain in the neck to strip this gun to clean but I do it and it was clean when they looked at it. I use the CCI best ammo. Now I make sure I do run it a little wet. That seems to help. Just wish I could go through one or two hundred rounds without any problems.
    It's the only .22 I have and I was even wondering if this is a common problem with that caliber handgun or is it the Mark III itself.
    Just thought I'd mention my experience.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Have two MK lll 45/22. One stainless barrel and one blued. Shoot them couple times a week and seldom have a problem. Use Federal bulk and only problem is a spent case doesn't clear before trying to chamber another round. Need to take out magazine and lock bolt open to clear it. This only happens occasionally. Doesn't happen with CCI but that is more expensive to shoot.

you guys should try FrogLube. Your guns will run smother than they ever had and for that matter, smother than any other CLP on the market. After your gun is treated, carbon just wipes off,cleaning is a snap. There is no need to run your gun "wet" with FrogLube. Lube is released when your gun gets hot.

FrogLube is a totally green product and dissolves carbon on contact. It also prevents rust, even when your gun is exposed to harsh conditions for long periods of time. After you try FL you will throw all of your other cleaning supply's away.

5. I'm a Ruger SR series collector and getting ready to buy a mark III but most of you have some of the same problems with jamming hang ups that are really related in some ways Through History I have learned the Magazine and Ammo is the problem every time,,If two or three of you will buy top of the line high dollar Magazines and the very best Ammo I bet you will never have this problem again..Like I said I'm buying one next week and the first think I will do is get the very best magazines and cci's top of the line Ammo and I will run the whole box through it and let you know what if anything goes wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    There are dogs or lemons in every production product line so I really don't think a blanket denigration of the Ruger MK3 is justified.
    I agree. Out of thousands made, I only own 3, and even though I have a "problem rate" of 100%, three guns is a very small portion of all guns made.

7. Thanks for the warning.

I have a 22/45 and shot probably several thousand rounds and can't remember the last time I had any type of failure or problem.

2Awarrior Guest
    Is it common practice during range instruction for one individual to hold a weapon while another individual racks the slide? It would seem to me that you would retrieve the weapon and perform the procedure entirely by yourself, so that "noticing" the student's finger was off the trigger would not be necessary... I think I'm misunderstanding this account.

PS - I hasten to add I do not own any of the mentioned weapons...

9. I have a MarkIII 22/45 Lite. Frankly, I'm not at all impressed with it and may sell it.

1) The magazines are very stiff going in and out. I have to fiddle with them a lot to remove them.

2) One magazine jams about every 3rd round. The gun fails to eject the spent cartridge. It only happens with one magazine. It is one of the two that came with the gun.

3) After shooting my first 100 rounds, the front sight was loose. I tightened it up and after shooting another 100 rounds it was so loose it turned 90 while I was shooting. I removed it, applied loctite and re-tightened.

4) The magazines are very cheaply constructed in my opinion. Cheap stamped steel and crappy welds.

For a $400 gun, I'd expect way more. Comparing the 22/45 to my Glock is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes.

Joe

I'm a Ruger SR series collector and getting ready to buy a mark III but most of you have some of the same problems with jamming hang ups that are really related in some ways Through History I have learned the Magazine and Ammo is the problem every time,,If two or three of you will buy top of the line high dollar Magazines and the very best Ammo I bet you will never have this problem again..Like I said I'm buying one next week and the first think I will do is get the very best magazines and cci's top of the line Ammo and I will run the whole box through it and let you know what if anything goes wrong..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12