Ruger Mark III Warning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mark III Warning

Angry Ruger Mark III Warning

Ruger Mark III Warning-270-98535-mark-iii-3-blew-up-when-racking-slide.jpg

Yesterday a student had a problem while shooting one of my Mark III's, which had just been returned from the factory after a servicing about two weeks ago. As he performed a "Tap, Rack" drill, he mentioned that the slide would not cycle. He held the pistol in his strong hand while I pulled the slide back with greater force. I noticed that his finger was NOT on the trigger.

As the slide began to move backward, thcartridgege discharged, breaking several internal gun parts, but fortunately did noseriouslyly injure either of us.

I own 3 Mark III's and have had many problems with them. They cycle much better with CCI mini Mags, but one of benefitsfits of having a 22 is the low cost ammo... I think it might be time to sell the Mark III's and go for a Browning Buckmark.

3. I would be getting rid of them firearms, and quickly.

4. A few things...

First, thankfully nobody was hurt because you were following the rules of gun safety. Good job!

Second, I haven't a much experience with the Mark IIIs but do have 2 Mark IIs that have been nothing but reliable. Call Ruger again and explain the situation to them and they should fix or replace the guns. I have heard of people having problems with the loaded chamber indicator on early ones but they have since corrected the problem I believe.

Third, and this may get sticky when you talk to Ruger, don't ever do a Tap-Rack-Bang with a .22, pistol or rifle. Every .22 I've ever shot has had some sort of warning that says it may not extract loaded ammo reliably. This is because they are mostly dependent on the pressure from discharge to push the case out and the extractor is just kind of there to hold it to the bolt until it hits the ejector.

Just serviced?

Why had you sent the gun to Ruger before? I subject my mk3 to terrible conditions when running a silencer, and I can keep it running smoothly way beyond dirty with a little clp on the bolt.

Something isn't right (obviously), but it could be a hangfire as much as a mechanical malfunction with the info you've given so far.

Good luck!

-Matt

6. Glad you're all safe, and can't believe the troubles you're having! My Mk III eats anything I've ever fed it, including some junk Rem bulk pack that none of my others would run. Hope there is a solution/resolution to this, and repost to let us know (if you don't just unload 'em.)

When I took my CCW training in Cheyenne earlier this year, the MK III 22/45 gave so much trouble. Jamming, reassembly, sight breakage etc. I love Ruger firearms but that gun was an absolute pain. Ended up selling it but have since purchased other Ruger guns I'm very happy with!
    "After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." William S. Burroughs

Thanks for info!

Yep, I keep thinking it must be something I am doing ... I always hear great things about the Mark series. In the year I have been using my 3 Mark III's, I have had to repeatedly send them in for servicing, the company has always been very helpful, though it is bad for my business for me to have the gun gone for 21 days... they have always treated me great ... except all I really want is a .22 pistol as reliable as their 10-22's! :)

Best I can figure, the pressure of pulling the slide back forcefully must have pinched the rim enough for it to discharge. Because all of the Mark III's jam so frequently, I would have to own 25 or more of them to be able to ship them to the factory each time there is a jam...

Thanks cawpin for the great advice!

Willy I cant figure it out... maybe it is the Wyoming air...lol. i sent it in last time because of failure to feeds, seems to me a $450 gun should eat junk food without having a heart attack every magazine... but it seems not so with mine. :( I hope that one of these times they will fix it up nicely. If not, I might have to just do things right and get a CZ-USA Kadet... at least I would know reliablelaible, even if it costs more...

9. Best I can figure, the pressure of pulling the slide back forcefully must have pinched the rim enough for it to discharge. Because all of the Mark III's jam so frequently, I would have to own 25 or more of them to be able to ship them to the factory each time there is a jam...
    I put 250 rounds thru a Mark III every week without much trouble at all my biggest problem is the bolt won't stay open after the last round fired being I have put so many rounds thru it...you have to keep them clean clean I run mine a little "wetter" than they recommend it's way more accurate than the Beretta Neos that I own, also I have had two "AD's" with the Neos due to the design of the firing pin.
    when you get a little carbon debris in the bolt the pin can jam in there misfire, drop the mag slid the bolt back to eject the unspent round it doesn't pull it out I let go of the bolt it fired the round....finger off the trigger,safety on,mag out....bullet goes downrange....the one thing I can say is I would not buy one for a youth....always always be safe.
    But for the Mark III have you deburred it? I shoot the Federal ammo in it with very few problems.

10. I have both MK3 and MK3 22/45 and neither have been a problem. I've had a few feeding failures but honestly have to say they are more likely ammo generated than firearm related. There are dogs or lemons in every production product line so I really don't think a blanket denigration of the Ruger MK3 is justified.

...you have to keep them clean clean I run mine a little "wetter" than they recommend [/QUOTE]
    I agree. I drip some CLP all over the bolt including the slot. Especially when running cheap and dirty ammo or when running a silencer.

-Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast