4 shot after George Clinton show in Ohio - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 shot after George Clinton show in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    When I saw the title of this thread, I pretty much knew that it was going to go here. On the other hand, forums like this is where things need to be said because you sure as heck can't address them anywhere else.

First off, these kind of tragedies can happen to any race, as is witnessed by the recent shootings at a kids birthday party. Anyone who thinks that shootings are a "black" issue simply has their head up their a$$.

On the other hand, it does seem that certain races have the highest incidences of this kind of crime. I live in Omaha, Nebraska, home of the infamous "Von Maur" shooting. This was done by a disturbed white kid. We also had a school shooting that involved a white kid that took the life of one of the school administrators. Both made national news. However, the continuous, night after night drone of shootings that occur in this town are NOT predominately white. They are black-on-black shootings in the predominately black section of town. And the frequency of these is such that it does not seem that "they" can hold a parade, concert, or even a large family reunion without gunfire erupting. One person even said "wherever two or more blacks are gathered together for any reason, there will be gunfire". Is this true? Absolutely NOT! But is it "racist"? I don't know. While I believe that stereotyping of any kind is wrong, particularly when you paint EVERYONE in that group with the same brush, I do believe that the stereotypes would not exist if there was not some basis for them. I am somewhat antisocial and tend to avoid groups of people of any race or creed as a matter of principal. But I will go to great lengths to avoid some groups of people that have a particularly high reputation for violence. Does this make me racist, or just cautious?

As gun owners, I believe that we have to be particularly careful about how we express ourselves, and possibly how we think about the above issues. I made the above points for a purpose. It was not to upset our black friends on this forum, but to set up what I have to write next. People, we as gun owners are a "group", and there are people who say the same things about us as we often say about other groups of people. Not every shooting is committed by a black man, but every shooting IS committed by a gun owner. You cannot have one without the other. If we consider how we feel when we hear some libtard say that all guns should be banned because gun owners just end up getting people killed, we can get some feeling of how decent black people (who I believe constitute the majority of black people) feel when we allow ourselves to comment on the issue of black violence in the terms I so often see on shooting forums. The black community is just about as powerless to stop black violence as gun owners are to stop the misuse and criminal use of firearms. We do what we can, and that is why some of us carry. I will not be a helpless victim of gun violence regardless of what color the attacker is. My .45 is capable of killing all races equally. In many ways, our situation is easier to take care of. I CAN go down and purchase a handgun. I CAN get the training to use it. I CAN get a permit to carry it. Some of the problems in our inner cities do not have as easy of a solution.

I guess that in some ways, I really don't know what the point is of the above ramble. I am just in that mood today. However, it is a battle that I fight within myself every day. I have numerous black friends, and I, too, am a big fan of George Clinton, Bootsy Collins and other black artists. Having played Jazz trombone for many years, I cannot help but have a great respect for the black music community and the gifts that they have given us. However, as a confession, when I read the article, I have to admit that the first thought that came to mind was "no *****". Does that make me racist, or just confused?
    Well said!! And this I can respect you for!!

I've never heard anyone getting shot after a Wynton Marsalis concert.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLM View Post
    THE ISSUE OF RACE SHOULD DIE! We're all Americans
    I COMPLETELY agree!

We are all Americans born in the GREATEST country on earth. ALL Americans have the same opportunities avaialable to them. Race should NEVER be a factor in anyones success; nor should ANY race be blamed for anothers failures!

-

Quote Originally Posted by Kerzhan View Post
    If that was an attempt to be cute, it failed.
    George is the Father of funk! I doubt his music had anything to do with the shooting. That's just a bunch of morons out in the street being stupid. The idiots involved aren't even old enough to George Clinton.
    Ker., if you don't like it, or his music, tough.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." T. Jefferson

Bunch of people, born into a great country, looking for a reason and someone to hate. Not proud of a damned thing, not looking for a better day, just wanting to spew their venom. Life must really be hard when all you feel is persecuted.

If the misdeeds of those of our race, whatever it is, fall on our heads, then we are all in trouble...and we are all imperfect, so put the gavel down and stop judging.

I posted the information only to point out another gun incident in Ohio
    That may or may not been a place were a CCL may or may not have been a factor in helping the situation
    It was never about whom was playing or what race was invalid on the shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I've never heard anyone getting shot after a Wynton Marsalis concert.
    I've never heard of a Wynton Marsalis concert.........fixed that for you ;)

That should have been involved ... Darn spell check

10. [
    Contact your local U.S. Government printing office, buy the reports and start crunching the numbers. Or, if you wish, you can just read some of the data developed by people who have already done that work!

•Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to operate.

•When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly 3 times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.

•If you start to delve even deeper into the statistics you will see that when you deal with the issue of interracial crime between blacks and whites you will find that blacks are the perpetrators 85% of the time while whites are responsible 15% of the time.

•The single best indicator of violent crime in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Racist statistics? Come on … give me a break. You have to be a complete lunatic to believe that young black males are far more likely to be engaged in criminal activity because of the color of their skin. This is a cultural problem, not a racial one. The pathetic truth is that this violence is part of urban black culture. This is a culture where women are disparaged, gangsters are idolized, and, believe it or not, mothers of young black males have been reported to have been involved in actually helping their son's decide which gang to join.

"However, as a confession, when I read the article, I have to admit that the first thought that came to mind was "no *****". Does that make me racist, or just confused?"

Racist? No!. Confused? Yes I hope this helps clear thing up a little!

Kerzhan, no disrespect intended just wanted to exercise a point. I know it must be very frustrating because the opportunities are there. You are correct; we should all be Americans First. This is a tragedy and the problem affects all of us. I welcome Law abiding Black Americans to the gun world and hope you can be a beacon.
    Last edited by wooddoctor; 08-03-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: secratary on vacation
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    [
    Contact your local U.S. Government printing office, buy the reports and start crunching the numbers. Or, if you wish, you can just read some of the data developed by people who have already done that work!

•Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to operate.

•When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly 3 times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.

•If you start to delve even deeper into the statistics you will see that when you deal with the issue of interracial crime between blacks and whites you will find that blacks are the perpetrators 85% of the time while whites are responsible 15% of the time.

•The single best indicator of violent crime in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Racist statistics? Come on … give me a break. You have to be a complete lunatic to believe that young black males are far more likely to be engaged in criminal activity because of the color of their skin. This is a cultural problem, not a racial one. The pathetic truth is that this violence is part of urban black culture. This is a culture where women are disparaged, gangsters are idolized, and, believe it or not, mothers of young black males have been reported to have been involved in actually helping their son's decide which gang to join.

"However, as a confession, when I read the article, I have to admit that the first thought that came to mind was "no *****". Does that make me racist, or just confused?"

Racist? No!. Confused? Yes I hope this helps clear thing up a little!

Kerzhan, no disrespect intended just wanted to exercise a point. I know it must be very frustrating because the opportunities are there. You are correct; we should all be Americans First. This is a tragedy and the problem affects all of us. I welcome Law abiding Black Americans to the gun world and hope you can be a beacon.
    Your statistics are probably correct, but the thing they leave out, which is crucial, is that it has nothing to do with the color of one's skin. It has to do with poverty, population density, and education. If you cram enough poor people into a ghetto, they are going to find a way to survive. If their parents or their teachers haven't taught them that they can do better, that they can rise above peer pressure, that they might have a hope of living into their 30s, then they are going to do what it takes to make it. Grow up surrounded by violence, and you will adapt to it.

Take that same black kid and raise him on a ranch in Wyoming, and he will have the belief system and values of country folk.

It's not a black problem, it's a cultural problem. And before it was the black community, it was the Italian community, and before it was the Italian community, it was the Irish community.

However, previous posters are right about one thing--a person has to seek out and take advantage of opportunities. No matter who you are or where you're from, if you want a different life, you have to make it for yourself. You can't blame anyone else for your circumstances.

It is kind of strange that this post immediately turned racial, though. George Clinton isn't exactly riot-inspiring music. Funk is feel-good stuff, so I can only imagine that whatever happened in the parking lot had more to do with personalities than music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast