Cops called about a Gun I traded in - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cops called about a Gun I traded in

I'm glad it worked out for you. I have the answer to this problem. Never sell one of your guns! It has worked for me for years :icon_cheesygrin:
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

If I decided to sell my collection I'm going to have a big yard sale. First come first served unless it's some scumbag. Since there is no law Federal or state law requiring me to keep any record I'm not going to. As long as they are of legal age then I'm selling them. If the ATF comes and ask about any of them I'm just going to tell them I sold it to some one and don't even remember what they look like! :icon_wink:
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I sold my Taurus recently and that should hopefully be the last gun I sell. I'm a little more knowledgeable and research more when I buy now.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    ...first come first served unless it's some scumbag. :icon_wink:
    But how do you know? I've got respectable friends who look like scumbags and some scumbag acquaintenances who look respectable. Then there's always my scumbag looking/acting biker friend Larry B who takes great pride in playing the roll...
    Samurai - "...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    But how do you know? I've got respectable friends who look like scumbags and some scumbag acquaintances who look respectable. Then there's always my scumbag looking/acting biker friend Larry B who takes great pride in playing the roll...
    Just a judgment call. I reserve the right to not sell to anyone. My weapons, my right and my decision. Looking at someones ID won't tell you anything either! Since I have so many weapons I'd probably just have someone come in and auction them off, except for a select few that I'd sell on my own.:icon_wink:
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Totally up to you how you want to get rid of your guns. I think the auctioneers allowed to do gun auctions have FFL's, not sure, but I think I saw that somewhere . . . anyway, I'm either keeping my guns or recording where they go so I can send the happy policeman/investigator on his way as quickly as possible :) No need to hold up an investigation at my house.

8. Thanks

I appreciate all the feedback, in my city there is no actual gun registration besides the actual purchase at the dealer and of course the FBI check. Makes sense I guess that I would show up a owner at one time when the cops checked, but I would think that if they had sold the gun, after I traded it in.. that transaction should show up also.. I mean I think these days these transactions should be on a computer at the dealer, you know a quick serial number check and it should show it coming and going out, even multiple times.. but by reading thru some of these post it appears these are paper transactions or maybe some type of journal entries.

Still seems a bit strange, that the office asked me what I did with the firearm, anyway he was cool about it and after he got the copies he said thats all he needed.

Lesson learned for me as someone posted above.. keep good records, receipts etc.. because as gun owner for 30+ years this was the first time
    this has happened and I've traded over a dozen guns of so over those years.. I'd be hard pressed to find any info on those early ones..

Thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12