Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro .45 ACP? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro .45 ACP?

Taurus pt145

I own and carry a pt145 millennium pro and I use a basic NRA inside the waist band and I have no problem with having any problem when I need it ASAP. I feel very comfortable when I carry it and concealment is no problem. This is just about the best you can get for the money.

I went to Fin Feather & Fur yesterday to spec out the PT145 and the PT745also.

They had the PT145 but not the PT745.

I'm torn between the smaller size of the PT745 and the capacity of the PT145(I hear it can also use the 12 round mags from the 24/7.).

I was also looking at the M85 Taurus .38 Spec+P 5 shot revolver as a ankle gun.

If I buy the revolver the higher capacity PT145 looks even better.
    True Happiness is a warm .45 ACP or .357 Mag and an ice cold Sun Drop Cola. ME

Thumbs up Love my Taurus PT145 Pro

I have owned my PT145 Pro for over 8 years. After a few thousand rounds, the only time I have ever had a FTF or stovepipe jam was when I was given a box of very cheap factory reloads (American Ammunition?) to try out. In one box of 50 rounds, I had four FTF's and one stovepipe. Other than that one box of ammo, the only other problem I had at first was the rear sight would loosen up slightly. A problem easily remedied with a dab of Loctite.

The FTF's that people have been reporting could be caused by a rough feed ramp, cheap ammo with a rough bullet jacket, or a weak mag spring (I always load my mags with one less than capacity to prevent long term compression of the spring). The FTE's could be caused by "limp-wristing", bad powder load in the round, a maybe a weak or broken slide spring.

The PT145 is a little wide because of the double stack mags, but it carries very comfortably open or concealed. And if the width is a problem, I believe Taurus makes a single stack version also (PT745?). In short, I highly recommend the PT145 Pro as a PD weapon.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM !!
    (If you wish for peace, prepare for war !!)

I'd feel more confident buying a used Taurus than a new one. I'd want one that had been broken-in and had proved its reliability. I'd never buy a new Taurus, not one right out of the box. Too much of a gamble.

Bottom line: If you have a Taurus that's never had a malfunction, hang on to it.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

6. Quote Originally Posted by BKG203 View Post
    (I always load my mags with one less than capacity to prevent long term compression of the spring).
    You are actually causing premature wear on your magazine springs by doing so. Magazine springs wear out from cycling between compressed and not compressed not from simply being compressed. Think of a wire coat hanger. Flex the coat hanger and hold it flexed. How long do you think it would take for that coat hanger to break where it is flexed? Not take that coat hanger and bend it back and forth repeatedly. It first heats up and then breaks after several cycles.

It's that same with magazine springs. Since you aren't loading the magazines to full capacity, you are having to reload the magazines more often to shoot the same number of rounds, hence wearing the springs earlier than if they were fully loaded.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    Nosediving is an issue with mine also. FMJ does not hang up, but the hollowpoints will sometimes hang on the feed ramp. I just carry 1 HP in the pipe and fill the mag with FMJ. Some types of HP have more problems than others.
    This is a very easy problem to fix! Most gunsmiths will polish a feedramp for $20-25 and will re-adjust the angle for slightly more, but normally JHP just require polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by countrytoby View Post
    I don't load to max because I don't want to shoot into my neighbors house or shoot thru some one and hit someone else, also.
    Toby, most experts advocate using only new manufacture ammo for personal defense. The problem is in court the prosecution will say that a handload was either powered up to do more damage because you were a sadistic bastard that wanted to cause more damage and pain and death than everyone else using regular, boxed ammo, or they will say you reduced the power of the ammo so that it wouldn't kill the target but could be used to wound and maim and torture anyone you hit because you are a sadistic SOB that should be locked up. Either way, you come out being the evil guy that was modifying the ammo to torture people or kill three at a time. For liability sake, find a low recoil boxed round that will stay out of your neighbor's apt and keep you out of court! :D

Quote Originally Posted by sixguncowboy View Post
    I've had a PT1-45 for about two years now and have never had a problem with it. I like mine very much.

TekGreg, Taurus Firearms, like Ruger & a few others, are warranted for the life of the gun, not for the life of the original purchaser. So the Taurus that you purchased used was onder warranty.
    Sixgun, good point! I had forgotten the warranty followed the gun, not the original owner. Thanks for pointing that out!

Smile Note of thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    Toby, most experts advocate using only new manufacture ammo for personal defense. The problem is in court the prosecution will say that a handload was either powered up to do more damage because you were a sadistic bastard that wanted to cause more damage and pain and death than everyone else using regular, boxed ammo, or they will say you reduced the power of the ammo so that it wouldn't kill the target but could be used to wound and maim and torture anyone you hit because you are a sadistic SOB that should be locked up. Either way, you come out being the evil guy that was modifying the ammo to torture people or kill three at a time. For liability sake, find a low recoil boxed round that will stay out of your neighbor's apt and keep you out of court! :D
    Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that. Plus I understand what you are saying. I'll get some more ammo. Thanks, Country Toby

I have a PT145 that will be laid away at my local gun shop.

Thanks for all of the feedback.
    Last edited by Luvs.357; 08-19-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Thanks needed
    True Happiness is a warm .45 ACP or .357 Mag and an ice cold Sun Drop Cola. ME

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast