At what age do you teach kids about guns? How to shoot? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At what age do you teach kids about guns? How to shoot?

okie, your experience sounds like mine. I have lost too many friends in my life to buy into a lot of the rhetoric expoused about gun owners being so safety concious. While gowing up in my family as well as the entire community there was never any thought about guns being bad or banned, it was just something that every man and many women had. Just another household item that no one gave any real thought about. I know now that more thought should have been given to the safety involving guns but there are lots of things that we did that were unsafe.

The sooner the better. Granted, they need to be able to handle the weapon physically. I learned at the age of 4 or 5. I would go pheasant hunting with my dad and grandpa. I didn't use the 12 gauge at the age, but my dad always brought his semi auto 22 pistol. When the day was done he would always find something for me to shoot at with the pistol. At the ripe old age of 12, he bought me my first shotgun, a 12 gauge pump from Sears. He bought me that so he could have his 12 pump back. I was always gone with it and hunting. My opinion, when they can physically handle the recoil, hold it correctly and understand, that is the time to start. Teach them what guns are for, demonstrate what they will do, make sure they understand "once the trigger is pulled, you can't take it back", and my dad's favorite..."if you aren't going to eat it, DON'T SHOOT IT!" I must have heard that a million times. Respect for a gun goes a long way and is easy to teach. A big part of gun handling is, "Don't be an example, set one!"

It's up to the child, how they react to firearms, if they seem interested, and the maturity level... yes, even children have a level of maturity. There is no magical age to hit before you're ready to handle firearms. I was about 10 when I started shooting rifles, shotguns, and pistols... either a .22 or a 20ga.

My wife and I take our 2 yr old daughter to the range... one of us stays in the car away from the shooting of course, and we put ear muffs on her even though you don't need to in a car. She isn't sure what's going on but she's in interested. And, this is the only way both my wife and I can go shooting as often as we like... it's tough to get a babysitter most times.

It's up to the parent or adult to decide when a child is ready to be introduced to firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I was about 8 when I started to learn about guns.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

6. Quote Originally Posted by n4sxx View Post
    From my life,

I was lucky my dad was on Army shooting team so I learned early had a B-B gun at 4 he showed me pistol safety with his match pistols at 6 had my own shotgun at 7 shot M-16 and 14 at 10 nuff said
    heh. For me it was the opposite. I didn't start to shoot until I was in Boy Scouts. And that's when I discovered that my (completely non-military) father was an excellent shot. He had never gone out shooting before that I knew of, wasn't a hunter, and didn't serve (his draft number was scheduled to be up very soon when the draft ended.) First time on the Boy Scout range, he picked up a .22 and got five shots in the size of a dime. I was floored. That's when he let me know that even though he grew up in the city, he often visited his aunt 'on the farm', and learned to shoot there. Considering that by that point, he probably hadn't picked up a gun in 20 years, was pretty impressive.

And he probably hasn't been shooting since I left Boy Scouts, some 20 years ago now. Now that I'm writing this, I should take him out shooting sometime... (Although he didn't seem like he "enjoyed" it, it definitely seemed like a "we're here, I might as well" thing back in Boy Scouts.)

At whatever age the curiosity appears is legitimate to a rational, age-tailored-and-appropriate intro to firearms, particularly if they are in the home. My intro was st age eight, at summer camp where the owner directed an NRA beginning program on a 50' range he built. Later, my town's Boy Scout programs offered NRA riflery at its Police Department facility. I went on to earn NRA sharpshooter status, and for that, received a Remington .22 bolt action as a reward.

The key, having always been, is recognizing both use and misuse of firearms and their contrast. For what it's worth, comments I've read about children's exposure to firearms by TV are worthy, but my sum is very simple: TV and film (apart from specific programs on firearm safety) show the misuse to where it virtually eclipses the use.

I started to teach my son firearms safety when he was 5 years old, he didn't start shooting live ammo until he was 7 years old. He took the hunters safety class at 9 years old. He has shot 2 deer in the last 3 years and is getting into competitive shooting this year. The first thing i made sure of, is that HE felt he was ready to learn about gun safety, Not when I thought he was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I wish I was as lucky as all of you and my 4 boys who learned from an early age. I grew up scared of guns.
    But not now! Knowledge is power and you are empowered.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

My Dad took me (7) and my sister (12) out Shooting as soon as we got back to the States. Taught us safety and how to shoot a J. Stevens single shot Rolling Block 22 LR. still have it needs a little work now as it dosn't lock up and will spit brass as the block dosn't seal at the barrel.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by M1911a1lvr View Post
    I started to teach my son firearms safety when he was 5 years old, he didn't start shooting live ammo until he was 7 years old. He took the hunters safety class at 9 years old. He has shot 2 deer in the last 3 years and is getting into competitive shooting this year. The first thing i made sure of, is that HE felt he was ready to learn about gun safety, Not when I thought he was ready.

Great point. Too many parents think they know all about their children's interest but usually it is the parents interest and the children don't care one bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast