At what age do you teach kids about guns? How to shoot?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what age do you teach kids about guns? How to shoot?

At what age do you teach kids about guns? How to shoot?

My nephew spent this weekend with us and I decided to teach him about hand guns. He has always seen me with mine and was always asking about it, so I got some snapcaps and started showing him how to operate the weapon. Everything from loading the mag to chambering a round. I even let him dry fire it with the snapcaps. He has been shooting .22 rifles with his grampa for about a year now.

A buddy of mine thinks he is to young and I shouldn't be teaching him how to operate a hand gun. He says teach him about the gun but not how operate it. He does not think an 11yr. old should know how to operate a semi-auto hand gun.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Satfety first

All kids should be taught gun safety. From don't touch this unless you are with an adult. And that they are not toys. Don't point it something unless you want to kill it.

From my life,

I was lucky my dad was on Army shooting team so I learned early had a B-B gun at 4 he showed me pistol safety with his match pistols at 6 had my own shotgun at 7 shot M-16 and 14 at 10 nuff said
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

Quote Originally Posted by n4sxx View Post
    From my life,

I was lucky my dad was on Army shooting team so I learned early had a B-B gun at 4 he showed me pistol safety with his match pistols at 6 had my own shotgun at 7 shot M-16 and 14 at 10 nuff said
    You definatly had a cool Dad

Whenever a child starts asking about guns and showing interest in them they shoule be taught the rules of handling a gun and how to safely handle one. Age is not a factor whether it is 4 or 14 or 24. You did the corrrect thing and in a very good way using snapcaps etc. You have allowed him to experience part of it and hopefully explained how to handle it properly and safely. A large part of the problem with children and guns is their natural curiosity will make them sneak aroung and get a handgun to play with because they see so much of it on TV even if it is stored properly. Children seem to be able to open anything, even safes.

Children, and adults, are so conditioned by TV (The A-Team was the worst) that only the bad guys will get shot that they have this false sense of security and need to be told and shown that it doesn't always happen that way. A Glock is not a cap pistol nor is it a BB gun or Airsoft. When a child starts asking about it that is when you start. In my opinion if he has been shooting a .22 rifle with his Grandpa then he is past time to learn about pistols.

All of my children (3 boy's and 2 girl's) learned how to shoot by the age of 5. I was a Range master for over 7 year's and a competiton shooter for over 20 year's and in Law Enforcementr for over 25 year's needless to say there were weapons around my home and they needed to know what they could or could not do with them.
    Bill
    P.S. one daughter and one son are now Police Officer's

As to what age is best to teach about safe use and handleing of firearms, there is no certain age, it really depends on the child, and his/her ability to accept instruction and be sure they understand the responsability, but it really boils down to being sure they will do what there told,and this would apply the same for pistols or rifles

I don't have kids but, I had a bb gun by 4-5 and was learning gun safety from that time on was shooting 22s next the shot guns then pistols. I believe by 10 I was solid with being around guns and safety knowing what I can use and what not to do.

I think education is the best "accident prevention". Curiosity KILLS.

Teach them how, when and where to use them and they are less likely to hurt themselves or someone else.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

I agree with all of the above resonses. But I want to add that a lot depends upon the kid's maturity and his ability to learn. It varies sooo much around the age they become interested that it's impossible to say at what age it is proper to introduce them to guns of any kind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast