Home defense Shotguns
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home defense Shotguns

Home defense Shotguns

First off, great site. I'm new at this, ie forums and such so I hope I'm doing this right. I read the article on Home defense shotguns, my personal preference is the Winchester 1300 Defender with a pistol grip, the gun is only 28" in length and easy to manuver. I have it loaded alternately with OO and slugs. This is one nasty weapon.

3. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-...e-shotgun.html

That's a link to one of the latest threads on home defense shotguns.

Personally, I prefer buttstocks. I've found that pistol gripped shotguns are cool to look at but painful to shoot and, besides, you never know when somebody will just need a good butt stroke.

I also don't get the idea of alternating with buckshot and slugs. I do keep a couple slugs handy on my 1100 in case I need to intentionally shoot through something but they are in one of the buttstock shell carriers, not loaded in the gun. The biggest advantage of using a shotgun is the ability to throw multiple projectiles every time you pull the trigger.

I do not recommend shotguns for home protection. Although the sound scares off people, I can not tell you how many times I have seen people miss a target 7 feet away with a shotgun. Peoples adrenaline is flowing and they try to shoot from the hip or raise it to their shoulder but don't take the time to aim (yes you still have to with a shotgun) and they shoot about 2-5 feet over the target.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-...e-shotgun.html

Personally, I prefer buttstocks. I've found that pistol gripped shotguns are cool to look at but painful to shoot and, besides, you never know when somebody will just need a good butt stroke.

I also don't get the idea of alternating with buckshot and slugs. I do keep a couple slugs handy on my 1100 in case I need to intentionally shoot through something but they are in one of the buttstock shell carriers, not loaded in the gun. The biggest advantage of using a shotgun is the ability to throw multiple projectiles every time you pull the trigger.
    I have a REM 1100 with deer barrel and extended magazine. Use the 00... I don't want a pump because I don't want to jack the second round. If you run out of ammo, use it as a bat.

Psalm 82:3-5

6. If you really practice, practice, practice a handgun will work for home defense. Most homeowners however would be far better served by a shotgun. Somebody who overshoots with a shotgun won't come close to hitting anyone (intentionally) with a handgun. I much prefer one with a buttstock than a pistol grip. A shotgun is CHEAPER, easier to operate, has more stopping power, is more forgiving, and being LOUD has it's advantages too.

Brandon, I disagree with your statement that "Somebody who overshoots with a shotgun won't come close to hitting anyone (intentionally) with a handgun." People who generally overshoot with a shotgun, don't place the butt of the shotgun next to their shoulder, instead they shoot from the hip and have the forward hand elevated slightly. With a handgun, people do not operate it from the hip unless the intruder/bad guy is RIGHT ON THEM and they are shooting immediately upon unholstering the weapon. Shotguns do have the distinct sound, and make a lot of noise, but a handgun is much more appropriate for home defense. Regardless, someone should take the time to train with the weapon they will use instead of simply purchasing a shotgun because they feel that it will be there when they need it.

I speak from my experiences as a boarding officer for non-compliant visit, board, search, seizure, and a weapons officer in the military.

I have a Remington 870 tactical that has more stopping power than a handgun. I use #4 buckshot and I practice.

The handgun I have at home is only for the time needed to get to the shotgun.

Handguns are great... for concealed carry. Concealing a shotgun generally makes people look just a little freakish. For home defense a shotgun is better.

I keep birdshot in mine, only because I don't want the 00 to go through the wall into the landlord's apartment... that would be slightly embarrassing. I have an 870 with 18" barrel and 8-shot extension.

10. kel-tec has a new shotgun looks cool they had some issues but they fixed them. never fired one but looks way cool we need to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-...e-shotgun.html

I really like that "Good Butt Stroke" That was totally GOOD!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast