How many spare rounds to carry? - Page 2

View Poll Results: How many spare rounds do you carry?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll

15 6.58%
  • 1-5

10 4.39%
  • 6-10

56 24.56%
  • 11-15

49 21.49%
  • 16-20

34 14.91%
  • 20+

64 28.07%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How many spare rounds to carry?

Right now I only carry one extra mag, but when I can afford a double carrier, I'll carry two. Quickest immediate action drill on a semi-auto short of a BUG is a mag change.

15+1, and two spare mags with 15 each, for 46 total. Why more than eight? Because I have no interest in playing the law of averages. Sure, I may only fire a handful of shots, but the top reason most law enforcement gunfights go bad is, according to officer reports, running out of ammo. Granted our mission as armed citizens is not the same as LEOs. But i'm the type to veer toward overpreparedness. And that philosophy has never let me down.

I have no source for this, but I heard Ted Nugent one say that he carries no less than two pistols and ten spare mags. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    1-extra Mag of 45ACP JHP. Any more and my pants be on the ground, looking like a fool wit my pants on the ground!
    Haha - that was one factor I overlooked initially when upgrading to a .45 from a little 9mm Makarov. A double-stack 10 round .45 mag is like the size of a Milky Way bar - and heavy! Two of them on the gun belt do a pretty nice job of balancing out my pistol. But there's still the issue of the BULK.

(Add a Leatherman and a Blackberry...and it looks like I'm wearing a duty belt. And I'm still not sure where to put my CCW badge...)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I carry enough.

6. Since I carry a single stack 1911, I carry at least 1-8 round magazine in the summer, more if I have concerns about the area I may be going into. In the winter I carry 2-8 round spare magazines. Mostly use 2 single mag pouches, but I do sometime use a double mag pouch. Same goes for when I carry either of my double stack 9mm pistols, which is rarely. When I travel in Illinois I will take a 9mm, cause it's a less expensive pistol than any of my 1911s. Why you may ask, my answer is because I don't trust an anti gun state not to try and confiscate my pistols.

i carry two 13 round mags plus the 13 rounds in the mag in the gun.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

It could be confusion concerning the question. If the average person has say an XD with a 10 rnd mag, that would be 20 rounds. So I carry one in the gun and the other has my backup. But I might answer 20 rounds cause that is what I would have.
    Barrett Powell

Smile It depends!

I have a CCW that I carry two different ways. If on my body it is 7 +1 - so 7. However most often I have my CCW in a 5 X 7 zippered case that looks like a "go to meeting" travel pad case. So, then 7 +1 plus a 7 round reload.

Why reload? As Yogi said - "It ain't over til it's over!"

I just ordered a double mag pouch capable of carrying mags for both my S & W 659 and my Ruger SR40. The mag pouch will be on my left side with magazines/bullets facing forward. My magazines can hold 15 rounds but, I will only load 10 rounds in each mag. That would give me a total of 35 rounds. I hope that I will never need any more than that in any shooting situation before I could get home. As the old saying goes "It is better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it".

How many spare rounds

Depends on which weapon I am carrying and how I am dressed. With the sig 380 if it is holstered in a pocket there are 7 in the weapon and two clips of 6 each so 19 rounds. In the winter, sometimes 4 magazines in winter coat left pocket, weapon in right. In mid summer, 380 in crossbreed IWB with 7 rounds and one clip in left front pocket.
    With the LC9 in right side crossbreed IWB there are 8 rounds in the weapon and in mid summer light clothing I might carry one extra magazine, so 15 rounds total, more magazines in the winter with bulky clothing. I would carry more, but my work and clothing related issues limit the amount that can be carried and still have the presence of the weapon completely unnoticed by observant onlookers.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast