M&P 9mm how are they?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 9mm how are they?

M&P 9mm how are they?

I'm selling a snowmobile and plan on buying an M&P 9mm. I'm a 9 mil person always have been. The price for everything I'm getting with it is $584. I'm getting obviously the firearm, spare mag, black hawk serpa sportster 2 holster, and a 100 rounds of ammo. I have never fired a M&P before but I've heard they are very good and reliable guns.

I know I can get the holster and spare mag cheaper online but since my local fleet farm decided to start selling handguns again after so many years of really having no where else to go to buy a pistol expect pawn shops which I despise, I'm giving them my money.

So, is the M&P a good firearm?
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Absolutely! I own three M&Ps -- 9mm, .40, and .45acp. Thousands upon thousands of rounds through them (range practice, training, IDPA, etc.) and not a single problem. Put an Apex Tactical trigger enhancement kit in it, and you truly have an exceptional firearm.

-Seawolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor,
    KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

I suggest you shoot one if you can before buying. Ask ten people about a particular gun and you'll get ten different answers, some favorable, some neutral, and some not good. I have an M&P9 and I'm in the middle of the recommendation scale. Mine is very reliable (no jams, failures to eject, etc.) It's a good carry piece, IMO. Would I buy it again? Not sure. H&K, Sig, Glock, FN make some very nice pistols. I also like the Beretta 92 FS (heavier, but more bulls eyes). Give it a try. If you're gonna lay out that much money, it's better to try before you buy.

5. I have two M&Ps the 40c and the 9mm. got to tell you I love them both. Right out of the box fine shooting guns.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Dawg View Post
    I suggest you shoot one if you can before buying. Ask ten people about a particular gun and you'll get ten different answers, some favorable, some neutral, and some not good. I have an M&P9 and I'm in the middle of the recommendation scale. Mine is very reliable (no jams, failures to eject, etc.) It's a good carry piece, IMO. Would I buy it again? Not sure. H&K, Sig, Glock, FN make some very nice pistols. I also like the Beretta 92 FS (heavier, but more bulls eyes). Give it a try. If you're gonna lay out that much money, it's better to try before you buy.
    I have no way of trying one out. I have that almost all of the places around here that sell firearms do NOT have an indoor range for their customers to try it out to if it's a fit for them. I'm probably just going to go with my gut feeling and buy it. I did that on my four wheeler and I LOVE my YFZ 450R
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

7. I carry a M&P .40cal, it also served as a back up to my service weapon. After 5500 round and every day carring, my M&P has never failed and is dead on at the range. Mine is a compact so as to the product its nearly perfect.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I am a proud owner of a m&p 40 that I carry every single day. I have shot the other calibers as well and I believe the S&W M&P is hands down the best polymer pistol out there! You will be very happy with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Whitlock View Post
    I have no way of trying one out. I have that almost all of the places around here that sell firearms do NOT have an indoor range for their customers to try it out to if it's a fit for them. I'm probably just going to go with my gut feeling and buy it. I did that on my four wheeler and I LOVE my YFZ 450R
    Let me preface by saying that this is just my $0.02 ;-) ... and I come from a Glock background, so take that for what it is worth.

I have owned two M&P9s - the full-size and the compact - and while I found the M&Ps to be nice pistols there were, IMO, some serious caveats.

First, out of the box the triggers on both pistols were very rough. This is a general issue with the platform and although the problem does go away after putting a lot of rounds through them, I opted to install the Apex Duty/Carry Enhancement Kit on both guns. That resulted in a *very* smooth pull... but the install was a bit of a challenge and the parts added to the overall cost significantly.

After a lot of shooting I grew to dislike the M&P's hinged trigger design. This resulted in what felt like an _extremely_ long pretravel. I found myself on occasion thinking I had had a misfire when in fact I'd just not pulled the trigger far enough. Of course, this speaks more to the ergonomics of the pistols in my hand than anything else but I found it to be a a real nuisance. The reset on the M&Ps (if you have trained to shoot to reset) is really "vague", to put it nicely...

Another thing I found curious: the M&Ps definitely felt comfortable in my hand but I did not see that translate to any measurable shooting performance gains. In fact I found that the grips had a tendency to move around more in my hands than I was used to and this led to fidgeting with my grip. Stippling the grips would surely have helped but I never got around to doing that.

You should also know that there have been recent reports of dead triggers on the M&P under certain circumstances which apparently renders the gun inoperable and requires shipping the gun back to S&W for service. S&W has pretty good customer support, though, from my experiences.

My verdict? In the end I lost confidence in my M&Ps as defensive weapons. A range gun can be a bit fiddly and it is not really a problem but a defensive weapon needs to absolutely be reliable. Since that was what I purchased them for I decided to sell them and return to the Glock platform. Glocks are certainly not the best fit for everyone, of course, but they warrant serious consideration depending on your intended purpose.

11. I 'went M&P' and haven't looked back since, however I prefer compacts, so have compacts in 9 and 45.

I may have gotten lucky twice, but the triggers never seemed bad to me, which seems to be the biggest complaint I hear. Mine are both smooth with a crisp break. The reset is more subtle than on some others. As mentioned, I would like a little more aggressive friction on the grip, but at that point, I'm just personalizing as seems to get done with most pistols.

Really though, shoot one if you can before buying...just because it works for me doesn't mean it's the end all be all of options!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast