Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm?

Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm?

I know a lot of people who advocate that it is "polite", "responsible", and "the right thing to do" to inform a police officer during a stop of your CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and your firearm if you are carrying for "officer safety", "because they just want to go home safe at night" and some even say it "makes it safer for both the police officer and the gun carrier".

So, my question is this, especially to those who say that you should notify police officers, even when the law does not require it:

Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?

According to this:
    http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/archive/spring2000art1.pdf

A taxi cab driver is 4 times more likely to be killed by homicide on the job than a police officer is! So, for the taxi driver's safety, should you not tell them about your gun and show them your CPL like you want to with a police officer? Don't taxi drivers want to go home safe at the end of their shifts just as much as police officers do?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Nope, I don't. For the simple reason that the taxi driver KNOWS he can't shoot me with impunity.

4. If you tell him or her, you may as well just open carry.

You can only tell two folks in Texas a police officer or judge or it could be considered brandshing. Concealed means Concealed until we get open carry.

In NYS there is no requirement to notify. Therefore I would not discuss the topic with anyone. Never bring attention to this unless required to do so.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

NO. It is none of his business. It could open a can of worms as the cabbie MIGHT interpret your statement that you are armed as a threat, no matter how careful you phrase it. I dont need the grief.

8. If the taxi has a "no guns" sign, stay out. If the taxi does not have a "no guns" sign, and you're carrying concealed, don't tell.

It's simple: You don't tell anyone you're not legally required to tell, and you don't go anywhere they are prohibited while carrying.

I don't carry all the time. I am carrying more often as time goes on, but it's still below 50% of the time. I *NEVER* confirm or deny whether I am carrying, unless asked by someone I am legally required to answer. I have only once answered the question: before I had my concealed handgun license, a former Marine at work asked if I carry (we had discussed guns multiple times before.) I told him "I do not yet have my CHL. This is the one-and-only time I will answer that question: no. If you ask me again in ten seconds, I will not answer."

Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak Weak weak weak weak weak weak weak weak......... Its a good thing they don't have armed guards in taxis...they would be totally screwed, its logic, homicide would go up to 10x the amount, its common sense.

I think Navy was trying to point out the hypocrisy of sharing carry info with cops. If taxi drivers are more likley to be shot, wouldn't they have a more vested interest in knowing about potential threats than even police do? It makes sense, but like I said, a cop pretty much has a free pass to shoot me, so most of the time I'm going to try to show him I'm not a threat.

11. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    I think Navy was trying to point out the hypocrisy of sharing carry info with cops. If taxi drivers are more likley to be shot, wouldn't they have a more vested interest in knowing about potential threats than even police do?
    Exactly. From both sides of the fence too...

From the lawmakers' side who are spurred to action by police organizations and anti-gun groups to pass laws requiring citizens to notify police for "officer safety". Well, I'm sorry, but police officer is the tenth most dangerous job in America. There are a LOT more people out there employed in more dangerous professions than police officers are. And there are more workers out there that are in more danger of getting shot at than police officers are, so I don't buy this "officer safety" reason at all. It's about power and limiting the citizens' rights.

And from some gun carriers' side of the fence too who are adament about not letting anyone know they are carrying, whose "element of surprise" is sacred to them, yet they will turn around and say the first thing you should do during a police stop is to offer your CCW permit/license and inform the officer that you have a firearm. Again I must ask why? Assuming, of course, there is no law requiring notification. Shouldn't taxi cab drivers be offered the same "courtesy" that police officers are, since taxi drivers are 4 times more likely to get shot at than police officers are? Would it not stand to reason that in their routine day-to-day jobs taxi drivers must come into contact with more criminals than cops do?

And, who knows... maybe by letting the taxi driver know of your CCW status, maybe they will turn off the meter for the first few miles of your ride.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast