Wanted: Your two cents' - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wanted: Your two cents'

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmhouseknecht View Post
    I am completely new to the world of CCW. I was just issued my CCW permit here in PA. I have been scowering the internet and reading anything I can read regarding CCW from tips for carrying to laws relating to the subject.

So the time has come for me to decide which firearm I am going to carry. I have it narrowed down to three guns. I would like your opinions on each as a viable carry gun.

1. Px4 Storm subcompact (9mm- I am leaning towards this firearm.)
    2. Glock 26.
    3. Kahr PM9.

If you had to choose one of these firearms to carry which would it be? and why? Also, perhaps you would choose a gun not of this list?

I have had the opportunity to hold each and get an idea of their ergonomics, and I like the way the Px4 feels the best. However, I think it is safe to say that the Px4 is the largest of the three.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I realize alot of this can come down to preference but I would still appreciate your opinion on the matter.

On a side note when I applied for my CCW permit at the local sheriffs office one of the first basic questions the clerk asked me besides if I was 21 and such was "Are you in school". I assume she meant college because most 21 year olds' are not in high school. Why would it matter if I was in school. I understand that most (if not all) university's would not allow you to carry on campus but it still makes me wonder.

Thanks again!
    Tyler.
    Hi Tyler,

As you can see if you ask a question regarding choices of caliber, gun or a method you will get dozens of responders and hundreds of personal favorites...

I've heard it said "any gun will do if you will".

...OK, for you pick-it-aparts, the quote above is a motto at Front Sight. i don't know the original person who coined the phrase and cannot prove it is thier motto nor can I prove it is the gospel truth for all situations or that it even makes sense to anyone, everyone or nobody. Hell, could be an outright lie! However, that motto is on a T-shirt I purchased there (that i do not wear) and no there is no pic of it posted with this so I cannot prove that either. Sorry, orificer!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I have a Colt New Agent (45) and a Ruger Lc9. Love and carry both but the Ruger is my EDC. All these opininions matter very little because whatever you buy your gonna want more ;) And probably will get more lol.

4. I would advise you to not buy the flock. They're highly overrated. Sure they're durable and accurate for some. But most will tell you and I will agree that the grip is horrible not well balanced unsupported chamber not a fan of internal strikers. If you're interested in a high quality 9mm go with H&K. Unsurpassed reliability and accuracy, great ergonomics and the SA/DA is awesome so you can safely carry condition 1 with the saftey off and jot worry. I carry the USP compact 9. Excellent gun. However at the end of the day that's my opinion. Shoot many guns and pick one that feels right to you.

5. Glock*. Also before I got the H&K I carried a Springfield XD 45 compact and that was also very nice firearm. Give one of those a try while you're shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    (I) don't know the original person who coined the phrase and cannot prove it is thier motto nor can I prove it is the gospel truth for all situations or that it even makes sense to anyone, everyone or nobody.
    I prefer Mahalia Jackson for Gospel.

7. There is a simple test to see which one to carry. Pick a weapon and strap it on. Then, from a non-assault stance, move into your firing position, draw and try to dump 3 rounds on center mass from 20 feet. Repeat with all your weapons. If you have access to a tactical range, do this test on multiple targets at multiple distances while static and while moving through shooting positions. Self defense shooting is not range shooting. You cannot always anticipate when you'll need to draw and / or fire so you have to fully confident in your ability to cover (if possible), draw and fire.

The weapon that matters is the weapon you can preform best with. Model, caliber, style, weight, sights, holster etc don't really matter if you cannot effectively drop an assailant...JOMO (Just One Man's Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by boycan View Post
    I have a Colt New Agent (45) and a Ruger Lc9. Love and carry both but the Ruger is my EDC. All these opininions matter very little because whatever you buy your gonna want more ;) And probably will get more lol.
    This is such a true statement. The more you see the more you will get.
    kerstingm, NRA Member, CCW Permit,CZ 75B, CZ 75PCR compact, Kimber Ultra Aegis II 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor 45, Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm S/C, Sig P229, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag, Taurus PT1911, DPMS AR15, Mossberg 930 SPX 12 Gauge, Beretta AL 390 12 Gauge

I'm from Wisconsin and new to concealed carry. Is the S&W BG-380 large enough
    stop an agressor?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Odessa_Prime View Post
    There is a simple test to see which one to carry. Pick a weapon and strap it on. Then, from a non-assault stance, move into your firing position, draw and try to dump 3 rounds on center mass from 20 feet. Repeat with all your weapons. If you have access to a tactical range, do this test on multiple targets at multiple distances while static and while moving through shooting positions. Self defense shooting is not range shooting. You cannot always anticipate when you'll need to draw and / or fire so you have to fully confident in your ability to cover (if possible), draw and fire.

The weapon that matters is the weapon you can preform best with. Model, caliber, style, weight, sights, holster etc don't really matter if you cannot effectively drop an assailant...JOMO (Just One Man's Opinion
    In total agreement. A famous instructor,whose name escapes me, said if you ain't shootin', you better be movin' and reloading. If you stand still you're a dead man" or something to that effect. I would only add, practice coming from the holster with an empty gun around a 1000 times before you load it and practice firing from the draw. Make damn sure to get a very good instructor/coach. By the way, 1000 yanks from the holster doesn't take a lot of time. At 50 per day, you're building muscle memory without fatiguing yourself, and its a 20 day process. I'm betting that plenty of folks are going to agree that a gun that fits your self defense needs will shoot to point of aim at typical defense ranges (7 yards or less outdoors, 10 feet indoors). In my never very humble opinion, going to the gun and successfully unholstering, rotating into position, and firing it without perforating yourself is the hard part. And oh, by the way, your choice of holster may be more important than the particular brand and caliber of hand cannon you choose for defense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234