Is it really that bad to dry fire a DOA pistol? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it really that bad to dry fire a DOA pistol?

1. With snap caps so danged cheap, why even ask the question? Just buy the things, practice, and quit worrying about it. Sorry if that sounds glib and quick but, well? Nevermind.

Taken directly for S&W's site in FAQs section

"Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?
    Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin."

Guess I got my answer lol Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

It's not going to damage a properly designed centerfire pistol if you dry fire with it. Period, end of discusion. FWIW, this subject came up at least once a month on the Glocktalk forum way back when I was a member of it.

I've always heard don't dry fire. I was buying a gun last weeka nd they said not to dry fire, and I asked how I was going to test the function. Modern competition shooters will tell you to dry fire as often as you can, but they all own 20 guns. For me. I dry fire practice frequently. If something breaks I'll fix it easily.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    To even take a Glock apart, you have to dry fire it, and Glock knows that and they obviously are not concerned about it.
    ...Also - Glock armorer's course I attended recently - dry fire as much as you want!

The reason dry firing is so bad is because the firing pin go to far forward and thus into the wrong position and can become stuck, deformed, bent ect.

I know this from experience. Happened to one semi auto pistol with an empty mag, and a DAO hammerless revolver with free floating pin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12