Sig p238 cocked and locked opinions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig p238 cocked and locked opinions?

Sig p238 cocked and locked opinions?

I carry my p238 not cocked and locked what I do is rack one in the chamber , load the magazine to full capacity then drop the hammer keeping it on fire not safety, if EVER I need to use it it's just as easy to cock the hammer manually then drop the safety without the fear of accidental fireing of "cocked and locked" ....

I see one problem with this as a carry style. It's a small gun and the small motor movements involved in both taking off the safety and cocking the gun are going to be tough to pull off efficiently when adrenline dumps into your system under stress. I carry mine locked and cocked with one chambered round and a full 6-round magazine, like a normal 1911. That way, all I have to do is push the safety down with my thumb and I am quickly good to go. I also carry a separate full magazine with it.

The advice I like best for 1911 carriers that carry that way is the danger of getting it into that condition. Lowering a hammer like that is dangerous. What if it slips and the slide blows back possibly breaking your thumb and shooting something you wouldn't want getting shot. But, if you are comfortable with it, its up to you. I feel the safety is easier to disengage than cocking the hammer.

There is a a "half cock" position on the P238, but I do not recommend using it.. Even when the Safety is on in this position, when you squeeze the trigger the hammer will drop just a little bit. Why they made it that way, I'll NEVER know..
    Wife carries Cocked and Locked.

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Cocked and locked is the safe way to carry. You have the safety. And the hammer won't go down unless the trigger is pulled.= 2 safeties. You can buy a holster with a trigger strap= 3 safeties. Hammer down with bullet chambered isn't the recommended carry. Ask Sig

I can't help but be curious why you trust your thumb not to slip - TWICE - during the hammer-down-hammer-cocking dual exercise, more than you trust the external safety designed and built into the pistol by Sig?

Are you a Double Action person, carrying a Single Action pistol and trying to imitate the safe condition to which you're accustomed?

Or, perhaps you're just new to pistols and have not been trained with the Single Action pistol.

Please accept that I'm not trying to be critical or offensive; I've been trained from the beginning to use Single Action, have never used double action and genuinely do not understand the thinking process that causes you to shy away from Condition #1 carry for the P238. I ask in the hope you can enlighten me. I probably have a lot more to learn about pistols and shooting than you and I'm hoping you can contribute to my education here. Thanks.

wow.

bless your hart man.

I recommend this. carry a snap cap in the chamber for a few months and get comfortable carrying condition 1.

When you get used to carrying that way for 6 months you will have confidance on your firearm and the way you carry.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray2100 View Post
    wow.

bless your hart man.

I recommend this. carry a snap cap in the chamber for a few months and get comfortable carrying condition 1.

When you get used to carrying that way for 6 months you will have confidance on your firearm and the way you carry.

Good luck.
    ^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^

Start timing yourself draw to first two shots on target. Use your method first and then in the classic condition 1. What is the time difference? Start watching some of the actual videos of attempted robberies, car jacking, etc. How much time do you have? Just askin.....

Psalm 82:3-5

10. Let me make sure I understand this correctly.

You are comfortable with the idea of disengaging all the safeties on the gun, pulling the trigger and trusting your thumb not to slip as you lower the hammer on a life round AND you comfortable with the thought of trusting that the same thumb will not slip, causing a negligent discharge, when/if you need it in a self defense situation. In other words, running the risk of having, theoretically, 2 negligent discharges.

BUT

You are not comfortable with the idea of leaving the hammer back with all the safeties engaged.

That is the situation, correct?

If it is, then I suggest you find a different gun to use for concealed carry because it is obvious that you are not comfortable with using a single action semi auto in that role.

I carry a Colt Gov't 380 and it is cocked and locked. 20 years not one problem. I would never carry any other way. The Sig P238 is the same gun.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast