Does it Make Sense to Get a .22 Pistol?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does it Make Sense to Get a .22 Pistol?

Does it Make Sense to Get a .22 Pistol?

I carry a Glock 26. Shoot a couple times a month at a range and dry fire with the laser bullet at home. Besides cheaper ammo (more practice), is there any other reason why I should consider getting a Walther P22 also? I'm not sure if I should just shoot what I carry or would also shooting more of the .22 help with my overall abilities even though it has less recoil and would be a different trigger feel.

I have a .22 just for fun and practice. It's a different feel from everything else but a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER to shoot. And it's still fun.
    Alan, TN

4. 22

There is nothing wrong with carrying a 22. It will get the job done as long as you have good shot placement.

I purchased the .22 conversion kit for my Sig p229. As long as you use the right ammo, you can fire that thing all day long relatively cheap. I get to use the same gun I normally would, but for much less. The trigger pull is the same, the grip feel is the same, everything is the same except for the recoil. Big advantage of owning a Sig.

You can't go wrong with a .22. As long as you are comfortable and proficient with your primary carry there is no reason why shooting a .22 pistol could hurt you. And as you mentioned, the cost of ammo is cheap so that could equal more range time. I would not abandon regular practice with the Glock. The recoil will be different and each gun has it's own personality but the more the merrier I always say. My friend has a P22 with a silencer and it is a blast to shoot. It is a big difference in recoil as compared to my Glock 27 but I shoot both guns well.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I looked at the .22 conversion kit and would love one, but THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. 200 on backorder at Glock world since Jan 2009. Similar story wherever I look. Advantage arms should hire more people but what do I know! Hard to find a .22 with similar controls to my Glock 26.

Absolutely YES! Very good weapon to practice trigger control with and a lot of fun to shoot. Very inexpensive to feed.

I have the Walther P22 and it is a great gun for cheap target practice and fun. It also holds 10+1 and is a legitimate carry gun as well.

Yes...I have a 22 and it is not only great to practice shooting cheaply, it can also kill squirrels. Nope can't shoot one around here. In Florida you can in your backyard.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Utilizing a .22 Pistol to better hone your skills as a shooter is a great way to work on your trigger control, hold control, breath control and sight picture alignment. Due to weight characteristics it will not feel the same as the Glock, but utilizing the .22 can improve your grip, squeeze and hold. It will not tire your wrist or charge you $30.00 each time you go to the range. Try utilizing different hand holds as well as the three fingers below the trigger guard to steady you shot patterns. If you are using the weaver stance when shooting and have both hands on the firearm, then work on natural draw placement and focusing on the target.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast