pre-background check, possible? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pre-background check, possible?

When I wasn't a citizen yet, it used to take me 48 hours here in Missouri to be able to purchase a gun, most of the time, lesser. On two occasions, as soon as we reached home, we got message in our answering machine that my background check had gone through. Now that I am a citizen, it only take about 5 minutes or less for the bc.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

JSDinTexas Guest
    If you have a TX CHL there is no check and no wait - you still fill out the form though.

Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    If you have a TX CHL there is no check and no wait - you still fill out the form though.
    That is correct. In Texas and 19 other states, concealed handgun license holders are exempt from the federal point-of-purchase NICS check.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)(A), individuals who have handgun purchase permits or concealed weapon permits are exempt from having to undergo a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System before purchasing or receiving a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer if the issuing state follows specific background check procedures to verify that the person is not prohibited by law from possessing firearms.

I would encourage everyone whose state does not qualify for this background check exemption to contact your local RKBA organizations and pro-gun state legislators and make them aware of this issue and your desire to enact the necessary legislation to qualify your state for addition to the list. Of the 20 listed states, 4 of them (Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, and Washington) were added just this year.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by WVCDL View Post
    That is correct. In Texas and 19 other states, concealed handgun license holders are exempt from the federal point-of-purchase NICS check.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)(A), individuals who have handgun purchase permits or concealed weapon permits are exempt from having to undergo a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System before purchasing or receiving a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer if the issuing state follows specific background check procedures to verify that the person is not prohibited by law from possessing firearms.

I would encourage everyone whose state does not qualify for this background check exemption to contact your local RKBA organizations and pro-gun state legislators and make them aware of this issue and your desire to enact the necessary legislation to qualify your state for addition to the list. Of the 20 listed states, 4 of them (Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, and Washington) were added just this year.
    Nevada should have a big asterisk on it since the only people who are exempt from the check (which is a minimum $25 fee) are people who got their CFP after July 1, 2011. If you received your permit on June 30, 2011 or before you still have to pay to get the background check until you renew your permit which could be in another five years. Ridiculous.

So the holder of the one and only one concealed carry permit from HI is exempt from going through the NICS process?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    So the holder of the one and only one concealed carry permit from HI is exempt from going through the NICS process?
    Wow...I didn't know there was even the one....
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    Wow...I didn't know there was even the one....
    The civilian armorer for the police department has the one and only one CCW permit in HI. I wonder if he wears a CCW Badge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12