9mm won't protect you? - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm won't protect you?

Interesting! Anyway to reduce that "snap"? I shoot a ruger p345 so I don't get any snap just solid recoil. Same for my Taurus tracker in 44 mag, it's ported to reduce recoil still 25 rds is enough at at one sitting to make you tired.

12ga 1.25oz slugs beats all. As for the 9mm vs .45 debate, meth heads have been shot any number of times by 9mm and not gone down until 18 or more rounds have been fired. There never has been that kind of article on a .45. And the WV State Police are getting S&W 4566 handguns. If you check LAE groups, all major groups that involve hostage or Special Response teams and military SOP all have .45 in their use. Not that I want to get hit by any round but I carry a full size 1911 .45 all day with either 185 gr FTP or 230 gr +P JHP rounds. A gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it is to give comfort when needed. Any gun available is better than none at all. Just because the 9mm rounds have been improved does not mean that the other sizes haven't also. Check Hornady Critical Defense for other than bone stock ammo results. Or Federal, or Winchester for that fact. All ammo has improved over the years.

4. Yeah that's all well and good and yes a 45 would be optimal, however nobody wants to carry a gallon of milk in their waistband! I could turn that story around and say a Meth head that took 18 rounds from a 9mm could just as easily grab that 45 straight from your hand. I think it breaks down like this, having a gun isn't the end all gonna save you tool, however it ups your chances of survival. Everything after that depends on your will, physical ability, who your up against and so on. A smaller, weaker man might feel more comfortable with a 45 and be able to take that Meth head down, yet maybe I could do the same thing with a 22lr simply because I'm bigger and was able to wrestle him into a position that made my shot count, I.e neck or head

I don't how many of you guys have shot them, but the 357 Sig is a viable option for a good carry gun, and I honestly think that the reason for it not being more common outside of Law Enforcement is the cost of the ammo, I just picked up a G-31C, very little recoil, about like my G-19, but judgeing by the sound it makes when it hits the steel plate, it sounds like a harder wack than the 40 or 45, and the noise this thing makes is god awful, at the range sounds like a 44 mag, very cool gun.......

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    To all the many, many, many attackers who's attack was stopped by a 9mm handgun, and who subsequently died, we need to wake them up and tell them they should not be dead.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

7. Haha, that made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    Yeah that's all well and good and yes a 45 would be optimal, however nobody wants to carry a gallon of milk in their waistband! I could turn that story around and say a Meth head that took 18 rounds from a 9mm could just as easily grab that 45 straight from your hand. I think it breaks down like this, having a gun isn't the end all gonna save you tool, however it ups your chances of survival. Everything after that depends on your will, physical ability, who your up against and so on. A smaller, weaker man might feel more comfortable with a 45 and be able to take that Meth head down, yet maybe I could do the same thing with a 22lr simply because I'm bigger and was able to wrestle him into a position that made my shot count, I.e neck or head
    There you go bringing physical size into the argument, I carry the .45 not because I'm a smaller man (6'1" 190lbs) but I don't want to have to fire 18 rounds to take my attacker down. Now if it weren't for the problem of over penetration I would carry my 44Mag. remember the reason John Browning invented the .45 ACP our soldiers were carrying .38's which happens to be the same as 9mm and their attackers weren't being stopped, the .45 ACP did the job.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE:228790
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
    But if you want to make a really big hole, nothing works better than .45 ACP. :)
    50AE, how's that work for ya?
    If only Glock made one...id be in heaven...

I can't believe we're still having this debate. Any caliber will get the job done as long as the person pulling the trigger knows what they're doing. Heck, I used to make fun of .380s until I got shot with one back in January of '09 and was left with a paralyzed arm for a year.

11. There is almost no difference in the performance of top 9mm, .357 sig, .40 and .45 loads.

There are charts and ballistics gel tests all over the net that confirm this.
    I am Infantry, follow me!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast